Flames of Eldonia


Chapter 34

     "Daglin and I had known each other since childhood. She was Benutian by birth, her parents Haziran and Luvina were casualties in the last rebellion. Haziran was one of the first to fall in the Battle of Inamor. Luvina was taken prisoner by King Vort's forces, and she, not wanting to suffer the jeers and taunts of the crowd during her execution, simply took her own life. Hanged herself in her dungeon cell. Daglin saw her mother one last time, in the cell. Apparently, the soldier who took the child felt some pity and brought Daglin – her birth name being Ilya – to visit her mother. Afterwards, Ilya was promptly adopted by a noble family who had close ties to Vort. They immediately changed her name and began the systematic erasure of all things Benutian. The child was, of course, very young, but she never forgot her heritage, even after her parents finagled an introduction to then-Prince Vlaric."
     Walled within the warmth and privacy of the greenhouse, Governor Chenek gently revealed to an astonished Prince Asen the facts behind the younger man's true paternity. Chenek told Asen of a childhood friendship that soon blossomed into a love affair that persisted well after Daglin married the future King Vlaric. He told Asen how Daglin, upon being orphaned after the ill-fated Battle of Inamor, was taken by an Eldonian soldier to Tyq. There she was given to an upper noble couple, people who had gained special favor with King Vort, Vlaric's father.
     As with most orphaned Benutians, these children were routinely given to families of the noble and professional classes. It was necessary that the children should receive a proper upbringing – Systematic reprogramming, socialization, and complete immersion in all things Eldonian was employed to erase every trait deemed inferior. Of course, Benutian, as well as Nemirian, culture was viewed as inferior and subversive. Any trace of a child's native ways left intact would only lead to another rebellion. Why take the chance? Stamp out every vestige of a Benutian child's former life; make him or her forget all that he or she has learned from the natives. Any child that failed to conform was subject to severe punishment ranging from repeated spankings and floggings to deprivation of food and drink. It was not uncommon for adoptive parents of these children to lock their charges in dark, dank rooms, away from the family. Defiant children were routinely deprived of comforts enjoyed by their Eldonian-born counterparts. An adoptive child who continuously refused to conform was, in time, farmed out to the country as slave labor. Hundreds of Benutian orphans who did not "toe the line" found themselves in such situations, often laboring on farms or working as servants. In extreme cases, the defiant Benutian child could face a worse fate: Death.

     Asen listened intently, now in full realization that he did the right thing by abandoning his birthright. Until recently, he had no inkling the kingdom he could have inherited was built on cruelty and brutality. How can a so-called civilized nation maltreat innocent children so horribly? Put a child to death simply because said child refuses to conform? To become just like any other misled Eldonian? To disregard all that is decent and fair just to please the ruling king?

     "Chenek," Asen said, taking a few turns of the room, stopping now and then to examine Jalen's many plant specimens, "You tell me of my country's treatment of Benutian orphans, my mother being one of them. How did she meet my father, and how did she know, once she discovered she was pregnant, that I was yours?"
     Chenek replied, "Daglin, as soon as her adoptive parents were satisfied she had successfully discarded her Benutian ways, and once she reached marriageable age, was introduced at court. It was one of those grand balls King Vort hosted, and all eligible young maids were presented to the king and prince. Vort's objective was to find Vlaric a suitable wife, one who would be worthy of a future king."
     "Of course, by then, I had recently attained the governorship of Benut Province, despite my role in the last rebellion. King Vort felt since I would be so busy attending to state matters, I would have no time to pursue another resistance movement. Besides, then, I had grown weary of orchestrating a new rebel effort. Too many of my friends lost their lives in the last revolt, and more than that were brutally executed."
     He smiled, adding, "I'm digressing a bit. So let me go back to that day Daglin was presented at court, the very day we renewed our friendship – which soon blossomed into forbidden love."

     In his recount, Chenek traveled back several decades where a chance meeting, and subsequent actions, would have profound repercussions on the future of Eldonia.
     That gala evening, while all eligible Eldonian maids were presented to the King and court, a young Chenek's attention was drawn to a particular young lady. He swore he had seen her before, perhaps in childhood as the lady had not changed that much in physical appearance. Oh yes, she had matured into a beautiful lady, but those telltale features – abundant black hair, lancing steel gray eyes, and a slight defiant streak despite her present demeanor – were still quite evident. Then it hit him: Chenek recognized the lady as Ilya, an old childhood pal who once kidded Chenek with, "Our parents believe we'd make a splendid couple."
     However, things happened, such as the last ill-fated Benutian rebellion, the deaths of Ilya's parents, and Ilya herself farmed out to an Eldonian noble couple. They changed her name to Daglin, and successfully – or it would seem – completely erased her native ways. A grown Daglin, at first glance, and to the unsuspecting eye, seemed to embody all that was a good Eldonian woman, and possessing the qualities necessary for a future queen-consort.

     "That moment our eyes met, Daglin recognized me at once, in spite of years of 'de-programming,' eradicating every vestige of her Benutian heritage," explained Chenek to a rapt Asen.
     "But," countered Asen, "she met my father who was then Crown Prince, and that she was destined to marry him. If you were in love with her, why not just step in and offer your hand?"
     "Things were – still are – different, Asen. Completely difficult. So-called pure-bred Eldonians – those born into the aristocracy, professional classes, of royal blood – were forbidden to marry Benutians. And the Benutians were definitely forbidden from intermarrying, although many Eldonians, particularly the men, carried on affairs with Benutian women. However, these trysts weren't for love, but to satisfy the baser passions. See, Eldonians believed, still believe, Benutian women are loose by nature. The dance is a key factor as the average Eldonian deems the dance lascivious, solely designed to inflame carnal desires, which is so far from the truth."
     "At any rate, Daglin's parents pursued the match between their daughter and Vlaric. They made King Vort ostentatious offers to pair these people, and His Majesty was all too happy to accept. Lands, money, priceless jewels, controlling interests in phérium mines. Oh yes, Vort knew about phérium, and it was he who originally called for a weapon based on the mineral."
     Chenek smiled, saying apologetically, "Again, I'm digressing."
     Asen returned the smile, replying, "No, don't apologize. I find your recollection fascinating. I've seldom had opportunity to learn the true history of my country, and these revelations are telling enough. So, how did you and my mother reacquaint yourselves, although she was destined to marry my father – No, he was not my father."

           "Despite the fact that she was a future queen," explained Chenek, "Daglin never really loved Vlaric. She thought him dull, homely, stupid, too suspicious of those around him. She loved to dance, sing. Art and music were important to her, and it was she, once she ascended to queen-consort, who revitalized, or tried to, the visual and performing arts. But Vlaric thought such pursuits were foolish and insisted no child of his would imbibe such nonsense."
     "However, being the dutiful bride of a future king, and the daughter of the titled aristocracy, Daglin accepted her role though not of her choosing."
     "Yet," said Asen, "you and Mother continued your love affair far beyond the wedding."
     "Yes, but we had to very careful. From that first chance meeting at the ball up to a few days before her death, Daglin and I met in secret. Often she would give some plausible excuse to Vlaric for her many absences: She was feeling poorly and had to take to her private chambers. She had this and that charity drive to attend, a gallery opening, a new play premiere, a recital...Anything to get away from Vlaric. Of course, Vlaric never questioned her. As you know, they never shared the same bedchamber, not even the same room. The last time she entered her marriage bed resulted in a pregnancy."
     "That would be me," said Asen.
     Chenek replied wistfully, "That's right. And Daglin, once it was confirmed, suspected the child she carried was not Vlaric's. This she told me during one of our clandestine meetings."

     Queen Daglin met with Chenek during her fifth month, when she counted the days since the last missed period. No, she wasn't six months pregnant as the physicians confirmed. She hadn't been with her husband in more than six months. In fact, she was already carrying the unborn Asen when she coupled with Vlaric.
     This she confirmed via a secret journey to Starfield House, where a young Benutian healer named Aunya performed time-honored techniques to determine paternity. No doubt about it: Daglin's unborn child was not Vlaric's – Chenek was definitely the father.
     "Aunya," said an astonished Asen, "Isn't she Danielle's biological mother? I didn't know she was a healer."
     "Oh yes," Chenek nodded, "Aunya, as most Benutian women, was – still is – a expert healer. Anyway, once Daglin realized she carried my child, she and I agreed to keep this knowledge secret. Only Daglin, Aunya, and myself knew the truth. If, by chance, Vlaric learned his heir was not his, immediately he would have put both of us to death. And not a quick beheading, but a drawn out, extremely excruciating, very public, execution. So, naturally, we successfully kept Vlaric in the dark."
     Asen asked, after some thought, "Did Banes, perhaps, discover the deception? The reason I ask is that Banes has always struck me as a devious sort. We've already learned how far he'd go to achieve his own goals, no matter how heinous the methods."
     Chenek shook his gray-haired head, "No, and that is still one of many secrets Banes does not know. He will, in time, find out the truth; and, for what it's worth, such knowledge he will not be able to use to his advantage."
     "I take it then," said Asen with some finality, "Banes will be an instant casualty in the assault on Tyq."

     Again, Chenek smiled thinly but cautioned, "I can only tell you what has come down the Alliance grapevine. Apparently, someone is en route from Nemir to Tyq now, and that person has a vendetta against Banes. Does this person know I'm your father? I'm not sure, but one thing I do know: What I've told you must not go any farther. Only three people know the truth, and one is dead. The other player is presently reuniting with her own child."
     Then, in a more cheerful mood, he added, "I believe I've said enough for now. Why don't you and I head for the house, meet Aunya and finalize our plans for a successful ousting of the Eldonian regime. Besides, we have much to discuss, such as how to tell Danielle..."

++++++

     The moment Dani entered the cavernous underground chamber, she was dazzled by its sheer size, and of the myriad items displayed. There were towering stacks of documents, massive books filled with the true history of Eldonia, various paintings and sculptures, weaponry ranging from fanciful swords to intricately carved shields.
     Ina smiled at Dani, saying, "My husband should be here soon. He has many things for you, but first, please sit down. Make yourself comfortable."

     Once Danielle and Jerry Cadmore sat in luxurious gilt chairs, Ina left momentarily, saying she had to hurry Jalen. He was an eccentric sort, given to bouts of distraction, but he was very wise and efficient for one so young.

     "Are you nervous?," asked Cadmore.
     "Not really," Dani replied, "But I am getting apprehensive about this meeting. I know Aunya hadn't laid eyes on me since I was a baby. I wonder how she'll take it, learning of my former life that is. I know your women don't hold positions of power, not even allowed to have careers or own property. So when I tell her I'm a corporate attorney, and that I own two homes–"
     Cadmore laughingly said, "Do not worry so, Danielle. She will find you completely fascinating, and she'll be proud of your accomplishments." Then, shifting the subject slightly, he said, "Did you know there were other children? Oh yes, Aunya had three children, you being the youngest."
     Dani looked at Jerry Cadmore as if searching deeply within his soul. Yes, she detected the resemblance; thus, although she had never met her birth mother, she could see much of her in Jerry's eyes. Then she thought of the other child Jerry mentioned. So, there was an older brother, but who is he? Is he still alive, and if so, where is he?
     She spoke, "Jerry, I've pretty much pieced it together ever since you appeared to me, after than key landed in my hand. You are my twin brother, aren't you? But who is this other brother?"
     Lord Cadmore was about reply when Ina appeared again, this time accompanied by her husband Jalen. The latter extended his hand and said to Dani and Jerry, "Come meet your mother."

[Go to Chapter 35]

Copyright©2006, 2007 by P.R. Parker. All rights reserved.


CWW Home
CWW Fiction Files
Passion Magic Fiction Files (for mature audiences only!)
Webbilicious
Email @ MSNTV