Flames of Eldonia


Chapter 35

     From their shelter deep beneath the city, Aughir and Enos heard the resounding boom of explosives. So, the bombing of Starfield House begins; and, unbeknownst to those soldiers or to Banes, who gave the order, the one refuge in all Eldonia will not suffer one shattered window or charred stone.

     "How soon before I activate the ignition packs?," asked a nervous Enos, pacing back and forth, stopping now and then with each and every explosion from above.
     Aughir grinned, replying, "Enos, you shouldn't get so perturbed. We are quite safe down here as our friends in the House. Don't activate until the all clear is given. I've stationed several of our comrades in all the tunnels at key points. From there they will be able to gauge when to begin the assault. My only worry is if Danielle and Asen decide to return to Tyq in the thick of it. I've sent a message to Chenek just before coming down here, and I do hope he gets it in time."
     Then, "My friend, things will go right this time. We've planned it all so carefully, even thwarted Vlaric and Banes' spies. Now the moment of truth is at hand. We will return to Starfield House the moment we ignite those packs. They are timed, so it'll give us a thirteen-minute window to get out of here. The tunnels will be safe from the phérium blasts as the very walls are impregnated with niuvite. The only structures standing after the assault will be Starfield House and the tunnels."
     Enos nodded, wondering about something else. He asked, "Aughir, have you heard the latest? One of our newest spies, Hert, has been captured by Banes' men. He is in the dungeons as we speak, and Banes intends to force Hert to watch Starfield House's bombardment from the royal balcony. Then Banes will order Hert tortured then executed. He was, you know, Banes' chief steward and passed valuable information to the Alliance."
     A surprised Aughir answered, "I didn't know Hert was one of us. How did you hear this?"

     "From the sorceress Dian. She says Hert isn't who he appears to be, that his true identity would be a turning point for the Alliance, and a shock for Banes. I am to tell know one but you; however, Ubu knows, and he's told no one else other than Reba Decker who I'm sure has passed the information to Chenek. Whoever Hert really is, he must be kept safe at all costs. Banes will surely execute him on the spot."
     Aughir shook his head, "No, he won't. Not if..."

     He stopped as if gathering his thoughts. In his mind he could see the young Hert in chains, forced to stand beside Banes as Starfield House is bombed. In his mind, Aughir could hear Banes' taunting words and threats. Banes is surely oilily waxing insults in Hert's face, telling the boy of the 'special' torture and execution awaiting. It is finished, Banes says, the rebellion is at last squashed. There will be no more such revolts, no more talk of precious 'independence,' and no more troublemakers like Chenek and Evore to disturb the tranquility of Eldonia ever again. Obviously, Banes is telling Hert much: How he wants to destroy Benut once and for all, and no mistakes this time. Then it's off to annihilate Nemir and all its inhabitants. Only after, Banes assures, he gets rid of Chenek and every member of the Alliance band. He has a special treat for Chenek, far more horrible than Vlaric would ever concoct.

     That was always a particularly sticky subject during all of Aughir's years as Vlaric's steward: the gruesome public executions. Nothing as plain or routine as hanging or beheading; besides, beheading was reserved for the elites and royals. The common people – make that the undesirable people such as the Benutians – suffered a death sentence of unimaginable horrors, and all in full view of a jeering populace.
     Aughir recalled one such creatively atrocious execution. It was years ago, early into Vlaric's reign. A young Benutian healer named Brielle was accused of theft and grievous assault. Brielle, who worked as maidservant to Dragus, a widowed Eldonian nobleman, was one of many orphaned Benutian children forced into servitude. From an early age, Brielle slaved for Dragus, being at his beck and call all hours of the day. When she reached puberty, she soon became, reluctantly, his bedmate. She was forced to dance for him, inflaming his dark desires, and compelled to perform the basest of sexual acts against her will.
     One night, not wanting to endure more degradation, Brielle devised ways to get away from her forced employment. She had to get out of there, and she planned to escape then return to her homeland or, at least find a way to Nemir where she would be safe. In the days leading up to the alleged crimes, Brielle deftly stole money from the petty cash jar kept in the kitchen. Only a few coins at a time to help pay her passage from Tyq to Benut Province. She kept this money well hidden in her attic bedchamber; and, after saving enough, made her move.
     That night, Brielle packed her few belongings, taking that tiny bundle to the back gate and hiding it among the heavy shrubbery. Upon returning to the house, she stole to Dragus' bedchamber, as it was those nights prior. He always expected her around midnight, after all the other servants had gone to bed.
     As usual, he ordered Brielle to dance seductively. She, dressed in provocative, revealing attire, undulated and swayed to no music, knowing such dancing only celebrates the feminine, time-honored artistry going back to the days of the goddess-queen Amarah. However, to these blind Eldonian men, the dance was seen with only prurient eyes, no beauty or grace, just unbridled lust and looseness. At the conclusion of the dance, as his usual pattern, Dragus grabbed Brielle then threw her on the bed where he ravished her in most brutal fashion. Afterwards, at her behest, he took the refreshment offered. Just a draught of raspberry wine, his favorite libation; only this time she slipped a potent drug into the drink. Soon Dragus drifted into a state of altered consciousness, but still alert enough to feel the resounding blow to his head. With her master out cold, Brielle made her getaway.
     As planned, she gathered her bag at the back gate then, enshrouding herself with a black cloak, she made haste to Glasswell Station. The last train to Rumil would leave within the hour, and Brielle knew she had precious little time to catch it. It was hoped the man at the ticket counter, or anyone, would not recognize her; thus, by the time her deed discovered, she would be halfway to Rumil, away from King Vlaric's soldiers.

++++++

     "Unfortunately," said Aughir to Enos, "Brielle was captured anyway. Dragus never drank all the drugged wine, thus he could recall vividly what Brielle did to him – Cold-cocked him on the head with a heavy lamp. Not enough to kill him, mind, but enough to knock him out. When he came to, he immediately ordered his own men to comb the area for Brielle. She shouldn't have gone far, he surmised."
     "Dragus summoned his servants, asking if they knew Brielle's whereabouts. How convenient for him to discover, via the cook, that Brielle had been stealing money from the kitchen jar. This was confirmed by the cook who, upon paying a tradesman that day, came up a few aurae short. She swore there was at least thirty aurae in the jar last week. Now there was less than twelve."

     Enos asked, "What happened to Brielle? You said she was captured, but how?"
     Aughir replied with heavy heart, "The train hadn't departed a half-hour before Vlaric's soldiers stopped it. There they searched the passengers, finally apprehending Brielle in the third-class coach. She tried to hide her face, even tried to hide under her seat, but to no avail. In her haste to escaped, she made an awful blunder: She forgot to take off the dress, the very red dress Dragus bought for her. This is how the soldiers identified her."
     "At any rate, she was brought back to Tyq in chains then imprisoned in Vlaric's dungeons. There was hardly a trial, and Banes, who was acting Minister of Justice at the time, pushed for the death penalty. After all, Brielle had the audacity not only to steal from her employer but attempted murder. Normally, the worst Brielle could get was thirty years in prison, but Banes, at Vlaric's adamant behest, condemned the girl to death. It was Banes who devised how she would die."

     Never would Aughir forget Brielle's horrible fate. He told Enos how Banes, upon learning the girl had a fear of certain household creatures, ordered her locked into a glass cage suspended high above the city square. The floor of the cage was littered with cracked wheat and corn. Brielle's hair, skin, and rough sackcloth dress was smeared with food waste.
     Her hands and feet were securing shackled. On the ground was a large enclosed crate, its contents unknown to anyone until Banes gave the signal. From that crate extended several long glass tubes leading into Brielle's prison.
     "From far and wide the people came to witness her death," recounted Aughir. "Entire families brought their children. Vendors sold refreshments of all sorts, as if a day at the fair. The entire atmosphere was charged with jeers and taunts from the crowd, all aimed squarely at Brielle."

     "Quite an elaborate setup," commented Enos, still clutching the key to the ignition packs. From the shelter of the tunnel, he could still hear the resounding explosions above. "Why the glass cage? And what was in the crate on the ground?"
     "Don't you see?," replied Aughir, "That was the way. Make the executions as gruesome and unwatchable as possible, yet highly entertaining for the Eldonians. Of course, in Brielle's case, a Benutian girl willingly stole from her master, and she dared to kill him. Such offenses never went unpunished; and, attempted murder committed by a Benutian against any 'pure' Eldonian always demanded the death penalty."

     Aughir continued his recount of Brielle's fate. The girl, locked in the glass cage, had no inkling of the manner of death. Not until Banes read the decree and gave the signal to the executioner did she realize just how she was to die.
     She could see the throng of people gathered in the streets below, all of them jeering and hooting. They threw rotten fruit and eggs at the cage; they hurled filthy names at her. They chanted and cheered as Banes removed the white handkerchief, the signal for the executioner to release whatever was in that crate.
     Immediately the crate's contents rushed out of their prison, sensing the scent of grain and fruit. Up through the tubes they ran, drawing nearer to the cage where Brielle sat.

     Rats! Not just typical urban rats, but giant Slimerock rodents imported from Koror Province just for this occasion. As large as alley cats, but much heavier, and known for their razor-sharp teeth and voraciousness, these creatures are capable of stripping any animal – even one much larger than themselves – of its flesh within minutes. Compared with their usual prey, a petite teenager as Brielle was a mere snack.

     "You mean," said a disgusted Enos, nose all skewed as if warding off a noxious smell, "Brielle was eaten? Alive? And the public cheered?"
     Aughir nodded sadly, "Yes, Enos. The moment those rats charged up the tubes into the cage, Brielle knew the manner of her fate. She was always afraid of small animals, even those as innocent and harmless as tiny ants or mice. When Banes interrogated Dragus' servants, the cook admitted Brielle often shirked her many duties because of the numerous mice and crawling bugs. Too many times she would call a male servant – a kindly footman, perhaps – to squash a roach or mouse. This is how Banes and Vlaric arrived at the manner of death. And they ensured Brielle's execution would be a warning to all Benutians: Stealing from or striking a 'pure' Eldonian will not be tolerated."

     Then he said with some finality, "I will not go into detail of Brielle's execution, for I think I've said enough. That episode alone compelled me, and Chenek, to devise ways to oust the Eldonian regime forever. Not long after Brielle's death, King Vlaric made me his royal steward, and Banes had just acquired the governorship of Chalou Province. Being in close relationship with those men made it possible for the rebel alliance to begin anew. I was privy to state secrets and affairs. All the years of careful, meticulous planning has finally paid off, to this moment. Now, listen...The bombardment appears to have lessened some. So begins the end of Eldonia. Let us activate these ignition packs."
     Enos nodded then began to switch on the phérium packs. There were many placed throughout the city, buried deep at key points, the most potent packs were placed in vicinity of the Royal Palace, the Golden Tiara tavern, and Glasswell Station. More packs were buried at the Plain of Anarona, the main site of the Eldonian Armory.
     Precious time remained as Enos and Aughir activated the remaining packs. Enos looked at Aughir, saying, "If you don't mind my bringing it up again, but your recount of Brielle suggests to me that you knew the girl, or had some dealings with her."
     Aughir smiled wistfully, replying, "She was my cousin. Brielle indeed had family; but Vlaric, and those who thought like him, felt she would be better off in service to a – and I am quoting Vlaric himself – 'better class of people.' You see how being forced into slave labor, then act as unwilling bedmate, trying to escape the hell not of her choosing, earned an innocent child a death sentence. Come on, let us return to Starfield House. I just hope Hert will be all right; Banes could be on to him."
     "Don't worry," said Enos as he and Aughir made haste for their refuge, "From what you told me, and if Dian has anything to do with Hert's role in the Alliance, Banes will soon find himself in a sticky situation."

[Go to Chapter 36]

Copyright©2006, 2007 by P.R. Parker. All rights reserved.


CWW Home
CWW Fiction Files
Passion Magic Fiction Files (for mature audiences only!)
Webbilicious
Email @ MSNTV