Flames of Eldonia


Chapter 33

    With bated breath, Tanina and Sivin stood at the window of the penthouse suite of Starfield House. They watched as the Eldonian guard and militia readied the catapults. The bombs were carefully removed from their reinforced crates then placed in the slings. So many of these devices lined the outer edge of the five-mile perimeter surrounding Starfield House. Were the inhabitants afraid? Apprehensive? On the contrary, for these people knew what exactly those bombs contained. Not the dangerously incendiary phérium but the more inert, protective niuvite.
     "And," said Sivin, still watching out the window, "those devils won't know until it is too late. Too late to correct their supposed mistake."

     He turned to his daughter, embraced her, adding, "Think of it, Tanina. By dawn this entire city will be reduced to rumble. Only our protective sanctuary will remain standing. Everything: every house, palace, tavern, shop, every vestige that was Eldonia will be no more. The people, while I do harbor some regret of the impending tremendous pain and suffering, brought this upon themselves. For too long they looked the other way while a series of kings and minions fed them lies and a false sense of superiority. They believed their betters' untruths about the Benutians and Nemirians. That we are inferior, lustful, given to base passions, only fit to serve their every whim in the most menial ways."
     Sivin took a deep breath then said, "Daughter, I believe I can trust you with this. Aunya had another child, a boy much older than the twins."
     Tanina blinked but was not that surprised. Surely, living under such brutal conditions for generations, the Benutians did keep secrets only known to themselves and the Nemirians. This latest revelation, that Aunya had another child, was one of those best kept secrets, and this one intrigued Tanina. She asked, "Papa, what happened to the child?"
     Sivin replied, "Long ago, before the twins were born, Aunya and Banion had a son. He was seven years old when he was kidnapped by slave hunters. How do I know this? Aughir told me just days ago, shortly after King Vlaric's death."
     Tanina asked, "How does Aughir know? Surely he and the boy knew each other."
     "That they did," said Sivin, his eyes still riveted on the brace of catapults lined up outside.
     "They were both about the same age and were best of friends. Alas, Aughir's family was killed in the last Benutian rebellion, thus he was taken to Chalou Province, adopted by a noble family. Aunya's boy was kidnapped that same year and sold into slavery. What makes this so incredible was the boy was sold to the very family who adopted young Aughir."

     A stunned Tanina was about to reply when Aughir entered the penthouse. She looked at him, her jade green eyes boring right through him. Without turning to face her father, she asked Sivin, "What was the boy's name?"
     "Lander, but the family called him Lan."

     Upon overhearing the conversation, and the mention of Lan's name, Aughir nearly forgot what he came to ask of Sivin. He had wanted Sivin to help Enos set the phérium spikes buried beneath the city to go off immediately after the Eldonian army bombard Starfield House. However, upon hearing Lan's name, he spoke up. Surely Tanina, young as she is, deserves to know the truth about Lan, and of the crucial role he plays in the Alliance.

     "It is all true, Tanina," said Aughir as he strode forth to the window. He, too, observed the readied catapults, their spoons filled with bombs. All was needed was the order to launch, and that should come at any time.
     "My parents, Todd and Dina, were rebellion sympathizers and fought under Governor Chenek who then was captain of the Benutian militia. My father was there when Inamor fell to King Vort's army. He was one of the first killed. My mother, after the ill-fated battle, was taken to Tyq for execution. However, in her dungeon cell, before they came for her, she committed suicide. She believed hanging herself was more dignified then being burned alive then eaten by the lions, all in full view of the people. Mother, in her last words to me, said to never forget my heritage. She knew I had been singled out by an Eldonian officer who felt I could benefit from a 'proper' upbringing within a noble family."
     "At any rate, I never saw my mother again, and was soon adopted by Gales and Olera, a wealthy but barren couple who had earned King Vort's special favor. As a gift to me, Gales purchased a young boy to act as personal attendant. No one knew, other than his current owner, that the boy was Lan, Aunya's eldest, or that he and I had known each other since babyhood."
     Tanina, fully engrossed by Aughir's tale, asked, "Papa said your adoptive parents discovered you and Lan were old friends, and that they gave him back to the previous owner. Then that owner set Lan out to sea, in hopes the boy would drown. Who was that previous owner?"
     Aughir and Sivin looked at each other, the latter saying, "She can be trusted with this. Shocked perhaps, but trusted."
     "Come on!," insisted Tanina, "tell me who Lan's owner was."

     Aughir turned from the window, replying, "Banes was Lan's owner. He had the boy kidnapped; in fact, Banes had, still has, a lucrative slave trading business. He hires slave hunters to gather young boys and girls, those who would be suitable to serve the Eldonian elites. As Lan revealed to me, he was taken whilst en route to Lake Wassee where we always swim in summer. When Lan became my attendant, he revealed much about Banes' operation, and how much the man hates the Benutians with every fiber of his being."
     "But," said Tanina, "you talk of Lan as if he's still with us."
     "He is," replied her father. "Lan is Evore's lover. Not too many know that, and it is fortunate, as well as crucial, that Evore trusts so few with the truth. Lan is, according to your mother's last message, en route to Tyq now. He intends to exact revenge against Banes."
     Tanina's ruby lips upturned into a slight smile. She said, "He'll have to get in line. So many Benutians and Nemirians would love to get Banes where they want him. Wouldn't it frost Banes to learn the boy who should've drowned is very much alive and plays an important role in the Alliance."
     Aughir nodded, "I have no idea what Lan has planned for Banes, but right now we, Sivin, must head to Tunnel 13. Enos has the ignition packs in place; detonation of those spikes must be ready the moment the last bomb is launched against Starfield House."
     He sighed, adding, "That is, whenever Banes gives Sergeant McMasters the orders to begin the attack."

++++++

     At last, all shall go my way. Although Koror is gone and Benut still stands, thanks to the meddling, scheming Alliance, all is not lost. Once Starfield House is levelled to dust, I shall head up the army myself, invade Benut with a fury unprecedented, kill every Benutian within my sights. Then it's on to Nemir. Wipe them out as well. Oh, my dear Jolende, too bad you are not here...You were murdered in cold blood, and that crime shall be avenged tonight!
     Banes stood on the balcony overlooking the city. In the distance he could see the imposing Starfield House, it's lavenderstone facade now darkened to ebony black. He still studied the place, wondering what could its inhabitants be doing or thinking this very minute. No doubt they feel safe there, still firmly, albeit foolishly, clinging to their idea of independence and self-government. That will never happen, not after those bombs assail the place, blowing it and its inhabitants to pieces.
     Ah, nearly sunset, and now comes the moment of truth. Banes had it all planned out. After the assault on Starfield House, he would head to the dungeons where his steward Hert was presently incarcerated. So, it was he who passed state secrets to the Alliance. Using his position as under-Minister of Protocol and close working relationship with Aughir to infiltrate King Vlaric's most intimate circles.
     This Banes learned recently from Aughir himself. Vlaric's trusted, long time royal steward, in a message delivered from his country home, alerted Banes to that fact. Aughir warned Banes that there were more such moles in and around Tyq, and that the only way to bring the Alliance to its knees was to destroy Starfield House. It's a given, said Aughir, that the place harbors many an Alliance member.

     "They shall feel the full fury of Eldonia," Banes muttered, steepling his long, thin fingers, his gray hair and black robes gently ruffling in the early evening breeze.
     "Finally, I shall have all I want and more."

     An idea came to him. Why not bring the treasonous instrument of the Alliance here, to the balcony, to witness the utter defeat of his people. Far more effective than mere torture, and Hert would surely break in spirit. The miserable man, knowing the rebellion plot crushed, would have to face his companions in crime as a wretched failure. Hert would hang his head in shame that it was his deeds which caused death and destruction to so many. He would follow his traitorous, rebellious friends to the grave, but not without grievous pain and suffering. That was a given, surmised Banes. It is, after all, the ways things are done.
     Unbelievably cruel, gruesome public execution of all insurgents and others disloyal to their king and country is the most effective method of keeping the people in line. Besides, those stupid, average commoners demand such spectacle. They thrive on it, even look forward to the next hapless soul to face the stake or gallows. There was one such execution not long after Vlaric ascended to the throne, so creative yet fitting with the crime committed – or allegedly committed – Banes recalled with relish. Now, what was that woman's name? She was Benutian, a healer, and she dared...

     "Sire," said Garland, the new royal steward who had just arrived on the balcony. "All bombs are in place. Shall I give Sergeant McMasters the go-ahead?"
     Banes, obviously annoyed his reverie so suddenly disturbed, turned to his steward, replying with exasperation, "I shall give the signal. There is one thing you can do. Bring Hert to me under heavy guard. I do not want him harmed – yet. I want him here to witness the bombardment. Call it a precursor to what awaits him and any survivors."
     The young, handsome, gallant Garland bowed in reverence then exited. Hurrying down the corridor, the steward smiled to himself. How more dim can one get? Banes, in the throes of his own arrogance and avarice, still fails to see that he is being duped. Hert will be brought to him, but the young man who Banes wholeheartedly believes is Alliance mole, is not who he appears to be. Only after the Alliance achieves its own assault on Tyq will Hert reveal himself to the blackhearted Banes.

++++++

     Upon reaching the dungeon door, Garland called to a guard to let him in.
     "Orders from Regent Banes. His Majesty wants Hert brought up posthaste. Shackle him securely then bring him to the balcony."
      Garland stood by as the guards opened the cell door then brought out Hert, the young man's hands chained securely in front of him. To be sure, even that brief stay in the dungeons had begun to take its toll on the usually natty Hert. The curly blond hair was now dull and unkempt, the fine royal blue velvet doublet soiled and torn. Garland peered into Hert's dirty face, into the blue eyes. Was there a glint of a smile? A mischievous twinkle in the eye? Doesn't the young man know the horrible fate awaiting him?
     Not that it bothered Garland who, now on the other side of the shackled Hert, slipped something into the young man's pocket.
     Just as they reached the top of the stairs, the attending guard was momentarily distracted by another. This gave Garland opportunity to whisper hastily to Hert, "Don't use that until the time is right."

     Hert smiled, saying in hushed voice, "I know. And Banes will have a fit to learn who I really am!"

[Go to Chapter 34]

Copyright©2006, 2007 by P.R. Parker. All rights reserved.


CWW Home
CWW Fiction Files
Passion Magic Fiction Files (for mature audiences only!)
Webbilicious
Email @ MSNTV