Flames of Eldonia


Chapter 32

     Danielle didn't understand why Asen and Chenek deserted her moments upon landing at Alecrig. Outside the grand mansion, the home of Jalen and Ina, on the frigid snow-covered lawn, Reba Decker appeared. This lady Dani remembered from that first meeting with Evore at Starfield House just before Asen and Jerry Cadmore sought refuse after the former's "kidnapping."
     Reba was an ambassador from Nemir and one of Evore's trusted Alliance liaisons. The minute the dragon landed, its passengers disembarked, Reba ran up, motioning to Chenek. She whispered something in his ear, prompting the Benutian governor to take Asen aside, telling him something had come up, and that they needed utmost privacy.
     What now? What has happened that needed such dire attention? Did something go wrong in Tyq? Did the assault begin too soon? Has Banes gotten wise to the Alliance?
     As much as Dani wanted Asen at her side when she met her birth mother, she managed to put aside her apprehension and concentrate on that long-awaited reunion.

     In the foyer of the great mansion, Dani sat down, pondering many outcomes of her unexpected Eldonian adventure. To be sure, there will be no way to return to the life she had known. She thought of her parents – Greg and Joanne Bennett – who at this time most likely gave up the search, believing their daughter fell victim to the storm. What would they make of their only child on the verge of becoming Eldonia's ruler?
     Was there a way to get a message to them? Could something be arranged to bring the Bennetts to Eldonia? After all, Danielle, as a baby, traveled from Eldonia to America, ending up in Ohio, on a church doorstep where Joanne Bennett found the child. Surely, such a dangerous, lengthy journey, daunting enough for a hardy adult let alone a defenseless infant, obviously had some help. From the sketchy details Evore provided, there were at least two other people who oversaw Dani's journey, to keep her safe and make sure she reached her destination. One was the mermaid Elura who initially put the child out to sea. The other had yet to be identified; Evore explained it was for this person's safety.

     While waiting for what seemed like hours, Danielle glanced about the entry hall, admiring every fine detail from the solid, polished pink marble floor to the gracefully winding staircase of the same material. On the walls displayed a mural depicting the flora and fauna of Nemir Province. So many varying species of plants and animals ranging from the mundane wolves and robins to the fantastical unicorns and dragons. One scene in particular grabbed Dani's attention – a race of beings resembling snake people, that is they were human from the waist up but scaly serpent below. Dani heard from both Chenek and Evore the story of the Sineten, a race of snake people who have the power to shape-shift. They also have a peculiar passion – no pun intended – for carnal pursuits, often taking human lovers. One in particular was now playing an important role in the Alliance's efforts to oust the Eldonian regime. That would be Gar, the very one who found a dying Sadius and whose brother, in the guise of a servant boy, became Jolende's lover only to lure the profligate Kororian princess into a death trap.

     However, the myriad creatures and fabulous places that made up this country was far from Dani's mind. Again, there was that nagging nervousness of meeting her birth mother – and knowing she may never see her adoptive parents again.
     Then the fact that she was the one true ruler of Eldonia, the goddess-queen Amarah's direct descendent. The thought of such awesome responsibility suddenly thrust upon her was daunting enough. Though she held various leadership positions in high school and college, even president of the junior class or star of the debate team didn't prepare her to lead an entire country. Not long after landing her first job in a legal clinic, Dani entertained an interest in politics, even seriously considered running for school board. She never got her foot in the proverbial door, having a few signatures shy of getting on the ballot. So politics went out the window, and Dani felt it best to ply her trade at estate and corporate law, not family law as was her first choice. Perhaps she should have stuck with that legal clinic in Cincinnati, continued to deal with those who desperately needed help and couldn't afford it – Struggling single mothers, victims of domestic abuse, unjustly fired workers, ex-cons and former drug addicts trying to get back on their feet, all those down and out who just needed a helping hand.
     This Dani thought as she ruminated over her future role as Eldonia's ruler. Perhaps it was her drive to make things right for the disenfranchised; then again, and thank goodness for that, Asen's presence and his love for her kept Dani's spirits up. Still, she felt, if it could be done, to return to the life she left behind. Pick up the pieces and resume her peaceful little existence. The only thing from her Eldonian adventure she'd truly miss was Asen.

     She heard voices and footsteps approaching. This was it: meeting her birth mother at last. Dani got up, straightened the simple black dress which, to her thinking, made her appear more washed out than usual. Staring at her reflection in the huge ornately framed mirror, Dani fluffed her auburn hair and wished she had her makeup bag, but that was lost in the storm. Not since setting foot in Eldonia had Danielle worn so much as lipstick, and she so loved to wear makeup, even made special shopping trips for particular shades and products.
     With a sigh, Dani waited for whoever was approaching to escort her to meet her mother. Dani took a deep breath as the pretty fairy glided down the corridor. In her company was Jereif Cadmore. Now why is he here? Oh yes, he has a connection to Aunya as well, but how?
     "Danielle!," called out Jerry Cadmore as he quicken his pace. "Good to see a familiar face. But where is Asen?"
     The two embraced, then Dani answered, "I don't know. He and Chenek took off the moment we landed. Reba Decker met us on the platform, said something to Chenek, then he and Asen left. I have no idea what's going on, Jerry, so I'm concluding it must be Alliance business."

     Lord Cadmore looked at Dani intently, knowing the family connection between them, but Dani has yet to learn that. What's more incredible was the secret Cadmore carried concerning a dear friend – No, make that two friends. There was more to the reunion between two children and their birth mother. One part of that reunion would not be present today as he is en route to Tyq. This Cadmore learned from Ubu before departing for Alecrig.
     Is it true? Could it be Aunya had another, much older, child? There was talk of a kidnapped Benutian youngster long ago, and that he was sold into slavery. The boy's original owner gave him to another noble family, but the owner learned the child's true parentage, thus setting him out to sea...
     Oh my Goddess! Lan is our brother! Wonder if Aunya knows her other son is still alive? We'll learn this afternoon, when we finally reunite as a family.
     But that other bombshell, the big secret that Jerry guarded with his life, had yet to be dropped. His mind did flip-flops at the reaction from all parties involved. The truth would certainly change things for one, and for the better. That is if the earth-shattering news is taken well.

     Shaking himself from his reverie, Jerry took Dani's hand, saying, "Oh, I forgot my manners." He waved to his fairy companion then did the introductions.
     "Danielle, this is Ina, Jalen's wife. Jalen is the Keeper of Secrets, and he has every historical record and artifact from time immemorial. Aunya is there now, along with Khalina and her daughters. Come, let us meet our mother."
     Ina extended her hand to Dani, saying, "I am so glad to meet Amarah's progeny. You and Asen will rule our renewed land well and justly. Please come downstairs as there is much to do before you take your rightful place."

++++++

     In the warmth of the greenhouse, amid myriad exotic plants, Prince Asen and Chenek met with Reba Decker. Several events in faraway Tyq collided, and the Alliance began to worry the assault may not go off as previously planned. A key player had been arrested and was presently incarcerated in the palace's dungeons. No doubt Banes will have this person tortured in the most inhumane fashion, but all was not lost. No, according to Evore via Reba, who at this moment confirmed the prisoner's true identity. This she revealed only to Chenek, and he was sworn not to tell Asen, not yet.
     "Hert is not who he appears to be," said Reba to Chenek. "Banes believes Hert a spy for the Alliance, and he is right, partially."
     "What," asked Chenek in a whisper, not wanting Asen, who presently examined rare Nemirian ficus, to overhear, "do you mean by partially?"
     Reba whispered in Chenek's ear, and the Benutian governor nearly fainted.

    "That is impossible! How can it be?"
    "Thank Evore and the sorceress Dian," said Reba before leaving. She smiled, adding before heading out the door, "Just think, sir. When all we planned comes to fruition, you shall be vindicated at last. Banes will learn the truth tonight, when the Eldonian regime is in its final death throes. Alas, all his dark scheming will be for naught, and he shall earn his just punishment."
     After Reba left, Chenek pondered ways to break such news to Asen. He speculated the young man's reaction, but what did it matter now? The Alliance was this close to victory, and surely Asen, armed with the truth, would not jeopardize the years of painstaking planning and fine-tuning the final ousting of all things Eldonia.

     With a deep breath, Chenek, sweeping his long fingers through abundant iron-gray hair, strode up to Asen who still admired the plants.
     "Jalen," said Asen, "has quite a collection. How amazing this is the only spot of greenery in this frigid region of Nemir. I suppose Ina pined too much for her native forest–"
     Chenek hated to interrupt Asen's waxing poetic on Nemirian flora. For once, ever since that impulsive act of "disappearing" during Landing Day festivities, since the mad dash from Chalou to Benut then here to the far, frigid reaches of Nemir, Asen was able to relax and regroup. No doubt the prince wanted to be with Danielle during the reunion with her birth mother, yet Asen never questioned the hasty retreat to the privacy of the greenhouse. Perhaps, Asen earlier said to Chenek, it was all for the best. That long-awaited mother and child reunion had to be just that: private. Let Dani and Aunya reacquaint alone, without the presence of others.
     "I agree," said Chenek who pointed out other verdant beauties to Asen. "It is a private time, as any reunion between a child and parent should be. Such as the one between you and me."
     An astonished Asen turned to look at Chenek, his eyes wide with wonder and confusion.
    "What do you mean, between us?," he asked. "Are you trying to say..."

     Chenek, who, at the behest of Queen Daglin, kept the secret all these years, even after her death, peered into Asen's eyes. They were as fine a steel gray as Daglin's. Even Asen's physical makeup was not of Vlaric's; his dark hair and tall slender build were inherited from another. How proud Daglin would be to see her beloved son, only a boy when she died, as the fine man he's become. He was not at all like Vlaric despite that man's unsuccessful efforts to mold Asen into a cookie-cutter version of himself. No, Asen took after his mother: compassionate, sensitive, artistic, intellectual, and inquisitive, all qualities Vlaric deemed as not fitting for the future Eldonian king. Well, Asen will not be king of Eldonia; that role will be fulfilled by Danielle once the renewed nation of Xanagaea emerges from the smouldering ashes. However, now, Chenek finally could tell Asen the truth, something he had wanted to reveal but could not, for obvious reasons.

     "Asen," he began, looking into the young man's eyes, "Your mother, while she carried you in her womb, once she realized the truth, swore me to secrecy. Vlaric would have killed us both if word got out he was not the father–"
     Now Asen reeled. "Not my father?"

     "No, Asen, Vlaric was not the man who gave you life. That deed belongs to me. Asen, my son, I am your father."

     

[Go to Chapter 33]

Copyright©2006, 2007 by P.R. Parker. All rights reserved.


CWW Home
CWW Fiction Files
Passion Magic Fiction Files (for mature audiences only!)
Webbilicious
Email @ MSNTV