Flames of Eldonia


Chapter 3

   Just where is Eldonia? That question had bugged Danielle ever since her arrival. From what Tanina told her, the country is, "Thousands of miles west of no-where."
   Odd, thought Dani, that this is just the description for any other fantastic land – It's not on any map, not charted, never to be 'discovered' by outsiders. Of course, many of Eldonia's present day peoples are descended from "outsiders", but they never leave to tell the rest of the world. And so it should be.

But should it be told?

   After all, from what Danielle learned of the place, Eldonia is everything opposite of most fabled lands. To be sure, from a technology standpoint, Eldonia is a curious mixture of the late medieval Europe, post-Civil War America, and Edwardian England. How more strange can that be?

   The first thing Dani noticed: Eldonia doesn't have motor transportation as the rest of the world. Instead, most people get around by horse and carriage, stagecoach, on foot, and via rail. In fact, Eldonia has an intricate rail system that would rival the best of Europe and America. Dani also learned that the Nemirians are the only people who do not utilize the usual modes of transportation; they prefer to travel by unicorn or dragon. This is to what Dani truly looked forward once she and her adopted Benutian family arrived in Tyq. From what Tanina said, all four Eldonian provincial governors would be in attendance for Day of the Landing festivities.

   Danielle came to love Governor Chenek, a tall, spare, elderly gentleman with a shock of iron gray hair and twinkling blue eyes. To her, he was a very astute man, very compassionate, not at all like the Kororian and Chalouian governors as Sivin described them.
   "Chenek has been through much," explained Sivin as they boarded the governor's private rail car. "He is a decorated war hero – Well, in our eyes he is a hero. Led the last Benutian campaign against the Kororians, but it was unsuccessful. I still don't get why Vlaric made him governor. But Chenek is a good man, and the only voice we have."

   Along the way, Dani learned more things about Eldonian life and culture. The people's dress varied, and that depended on the province. For the Benutians, fashions almost mirrored those of the Romany: colorful, flowing fabrics, much gold jewelry. Indeed, the emerald green dress Tanina chose for Dani was extremely flattering. Its clinging bodice with daring decollete and bouffant, ruffled skirt enhanced Danielle's autumn good looks. Nice of Tanina to take note that green looks good on redheads. Gleaming golden hoops dangled from her earlobes, her arms graced by dozens of jangling golden bangles.

   Dani learned that in Chalou, the center of Eldonian power, the fashion mode is more eclectic. As the train crossed the bridge that linked Benut with Chalou, Khalina explained that the country's founders brought not only their form of government and way of life, but their fashions as well. Danielle presumed that Chalouian style must follow the late Middle Ages: doublets and hose for the men, flowing, fur-trimmed gowns and elaborate headcoverings for the women.

   "The Chalouians," explained Tanina, "consider our mode of dress improper, outlandish, immodest. But they say nothing about the Kororians' fashions. There, the clothes are all black and of rich fabrics. The women wear revealing dresses, the men flowing robes."

   "How revealing?," asked Dani. From their vantage point, from the private car's window, Dani could see many people here and there in various dress. She could tell the Chalouians by their medieval-Renaissance inspired costumes. In that crowd, there were several women who wore dresses that would be, to Dani's perspective, more suitable for the stage or movie set. One attractive lady with generous dark hair cascading about her shoulders, was clad in a long black silk dress which was slit on one side, exposing slender legs. The matching shoes were of the typical spike-heeled variety, and much silver jewelry adorned the lady. She was beautiful, and Dani could not look away.
  "I think," she said, pointing to the lady, "that answers my question."

Watching the woman walk through the crowd only to disappear under the railway trestle, Khalina said, "I do believe she is one of Princess Jolende's attendants. Which means the princess has arrived for the festivities." Was there a hint of displeasure in Khalina's voice? What was it about the woman's mere presence that embittered her adoptive family? Was it the slinky, revealing dress, the burlesque-like hip-swinging gait, the incredible beauty? No, explained Tanina.
   "Princess Jolende is to marry Prince Asen. He is Vlaric's only child and heir to the Eldonian throne. Rumors are that the match is forced, and Asen really doesn't want to marry Jolende. We believe the marriage is to further Vlaric's agenda: that is to crush Benut once and for all. Once Asen and Jolende inherit the throne, it is said that Koror and Chalou will be united as one region, thus spelling the end for Benut." She sighed, adding, "I just wish there was some truth to that prophecy."
   "What prophecy?," asked an intrigued Dani.
   "That," said Sivin, "a daughter, a direct descendant of Amarah, our patron goddess and first ruler of Benut, will come among us. The prophets say this daughter will lead a revolt, forever crushing Eldonian oppression. From then everyone will live in peace and prosperity, as it once was before those three – Thomas, Yves, and Quentin – usurped our land for themselves."

   Governor Chenek, listening to the family's confab, said nothing. Instead he beckoned to his aide, Ubu, handing the man a note.
   "I want you to hand that to Evore's personal servant at once. She is staying there," he said, indictating the imposing purple-bricked tower in distance. "Make sure no one follows or detains you. It is a matter of great urgency."
   Ubu didn't quite understand, but once his governor whispered a few words, the servant realized the urgency. "Are you sure, Your Grace?"

   Chenek merely nodded, his eyes twinkling as he whispered back, "Have I ever lied to you, Ubu?"

++++++

   Some distance from the railway station, away from bustle of the crowd, and a few steps away from the Royal Palace, stands a tavern. Not any drinking establishment, but a place open to only the elite, those few wealthy folks willing to pay top price for excellent wines and spirits.
   The tavern, The Golden Tiara , was bristling with activity this late morning. On any given day, naturally this place can be quite busy, yet today, The Day of the Landing, inside The Golden Tiara was standing room only. The wines and spirits flowed as easily as the great Eldonian River; the conversation light and easy. All talk was of the upcoming festivities, and rumors flew wildly about concerning a certain official announcement from King Vlaric. It was not that much a secret that Prince Asen had asked Princess Jolende's hand, and the King gave his blessing to the union. What surprised many was that Asen would marry at all. A carefree sort who would rather frequent the more fashionable taverns and shops, dabble in poetry and music, rather than take his royal duties more seriously, Asen was nonetheless popular among his subjects. The big question right now was whether Asen would tear himself away from parade preparations to visit the tavern, even if for a few fleeting moments.

   "Well," one patron was overheard saying, "His Highness may show up. His friend, Lord Cadmore, has been standing outside for the longest."
   "Yes," answered his female companion, "but I hope his lordship does not invite one of those awful Benutian women to come dance for us. Ugh! You know what happened the last time one of those wantons performed one of their disgusting dances. If anyone can call it dancing."
   Her friend snorted, "Oh, come on, Axelle, surely Vlaric's men will not dare raid the place. Besides, what harm do those women do? It was that pesky Benutian soothsayer who caused the uproar those many weeks ago. Barging in here with his 'dire warnings' of a Benutian woman, a 'descendant' of their 'goddess'. It won't happen again as Vlaric's men captured and executed the bastard. You know such talk is banned in this country anyway. So if Lord Cadmore brings in a Benutian woman to dance for us, I say bring her on. This is a happy day, Axelle. Let us have a little fun, even if it is sitting through a Benutian dance."

   Outside, Lord Cadmore spotted a familar face, although the figure approaching him was clad in a heavy cloak and hat, the face actually concealed. Nevertheless, Cadmore recognized his friend.

   "Asen..."
   "Shh! Don't give me away, Cadmore! I'm not to be outside. Father thinks I'm preparing for the procession. Ugh! If I have to sit through one more of his and Governor Banes' confabs about my upcoming marriage to Jolende...Really, and Governor Sadius is there, too. Jolende arrived just this morning; her attendant Elvana has gone to fetch her...I just couldn't stand to be in the same room..."
   "Say no more, my friend. Let us go inside...Hello! Who is that?" Cadmore pointed to the two women freshly strolling through the square. Asen noticed the women, one of whom he already knew.
   "Cadmore, that is Sivin's daugther, the dancer. But who is the other...?"
   "That," said Cadmore, thoroughly intrigued by the statuesque auburn-haired beauty at Tanina's side, "I do not know. I say we stay here, watch the ladies dance. Tanina's friend is quite pretty. I wonder..."
   "You wonder too much," said Asen laughingly. "Come on, Cadmore. Let us watch these ladies' fine dancing. Then, perhaps, we can coax them to come inside and entertain the crowd. I can use the change of scene."

   There was something about that woman that set Asen's heart racing. If he only hadn't agreed to marry Jolende...Jolende was hardly the type of woman to whom Asen would commit to the rest of his life.
   "This auburn-haired beauty is different...She quite takes my breath away...There is something else...Something extremely familar..."

[TO BE CONTINUED...Go to Chapter 4]

Copyright©2006 by P.R. Parker. All rights reserved.


CW Fiction Files
Home
Email Author/Webmistress