Flames of Eldonia


Chapter 29

     A shower of purple sparkles rained down on Amarah's Castle, engulfing all that surrounded it. Indeed, the whole of Benut Province enjoyed that protective cloud, shielding it from the blast of that missile that now claimed Koror.
     Even from faraway Cape Amorra, the sea beauty Mitra could see a faint orange glow in the sky signaling the end of Koror. She smiled as she called forth Oadela, her wyvern friend.
     "It begins now, Oadela," said Mitra, "Koror is now destroyed, thanks to the Alliance scientists Thais and Odessa. Now, take your companions to Tyq, then on to every town, village, and outpost in Chalou Province. On my signal, prepare to strike!"

++++++

     In the governor's palace in Rumil, Ubu and Cadmore stood at the window, watching the shower of sparks rain down on the city.
     "Niuvite crystals," remarked Ubu. "They will protect our province from any residual firestorm. Cadmore, as much as I wished the Alliance success and regain our independence, it does seem ironic that that struggle ends in such tremendous loss of life. The Kororians, poor devils, as much vexation they caused us over the centuries..."
     Jereif Cadmore commented, "Do not feel bad for them, Ubu. It was inevitable, and your comment on the irony of it all...I imagine if and when the Eldonian regime's plan to destroy Benut succeeded...But it is done."
     "Not yet, Jerry," said Ubu, coming away from the window. "It is far from over. You see, the missile switch is only the beginning. Within the next hours, once Banes realizes his precious ally is no more, will turn on the only thing that he believes is the instrument of his blunder: Starfield House. Oh yes, he'll have it bombarded then, once he learns those bombs are useless, will order his army to seize Starfield House. Alas, nearly the entire army is wiped out, thanks to Hert who gave those phony orders to General LaGras, to relocate to Koror."

     Now Cadmore was puzzled; he asked, "Who is Hert?"
     "Regent Banes' new steward, but Hert really is...No, I can't reveal that to you now. Evore and Mitra swore me to secrecy. Not too many of us know of Hert's special circumstances; it's for his own good and for the Alliance's victory."
     "Is he," asked Cadmore, "an Alliance spy or mole? I already know about Aughir's role, and it didn't surprise me to learn that. Aughir, like me, is Benutian by birth, and we share a common bond of being deprived of our families. His parents were killed during the last rebellion, and mine...Well, they were forced to abandon me for my own safety. Which reminds me..."
     Ubu understood, saying, "You're to travel to Nemir, to Mt. Soraring, this morning. There you will reunite with your birth mother and sister. Danielle knows, Jerry. She knows you're her brother."

     Jerry Cadmore, lingering a bit at the window, watching the continuous shower of niuvite crystals blanket the city, said, "I guess I should try to get some sleep, but it's the excitement of meeting the woman who so selflessly gave me up...By the way, Ubu, what of Chenek? No doubt he is still a wanted man, what with Banes doubling the reward for anyone who brings him in alive."

     "Chenek," replied Ubu, "is en route to Nemir, Jerry. He has urgent business with Princess Evore. He wouldn't tell me much, so I suppose it's to discuss the transition phase once Eldonia is transformed into Xanagaea." He then turned to Jerry, asking, "Dani still has that key, doesn't she?"
     "Yes," said Jerry, pouring more wine for himself and Ubu. "It unlocks Indria's box where within contains the magic. The box is safely at Starfield House and will be given to Danielle once she and Asen return to Tyq."

     The two men, now heading downstairs to the reception area, were soon met by Rynel, Chenek's administrative assistant. She had another message for Ubu from Dian, a Nemirian sorceress.
    "This just came via Aten, sir," said Rynel. "He wants a reply posthaste."
    "Thank you, Rynel," said Ubu as he opened the note. He scanned the words then said, "Tell her not to make a move until I give the All-Clear. Only then will she be able to do what is necessary."
    Rynel bowed in reverence then hastily took the reply to a waiting Aten. Ubu turned to Cadmore, saying, "I guess I can trust you with this latest information, Jerry."

     He showed Jerry Cadmore the note and stood back as his friend's face blanched. Jerry's eyes grew wide, and he nearly lost all ability to speak. His shock was that great.
     "How did they manage this, Ubu? I mean, this is phenomenal! Oh, what to tell–"

     Ubu's dark eyes glowered with concern and warning. He said in hushed tones, "You will not reveal this to anyone, not even to Danielle or Asen. Now, once you arrive at Mt. Soraring, you keep your mouth shut about this! Governor Chenek swore me to secrecy on this matter, and I'm only telling you because I can trust you."
     Jerry Cadmore assured his lips were sealed, then, after shaking Ubu's hand, departed for the landing platform. There, one of Evore's dragons waited to take him to Mt. Soraring.

++++++

     The sun had just peeked over the horizon when the servant arrived at Regent Banes' door. Ordinarily, no one, not even the royal steward himself, would dare to disturb Banes at such an early hour. However, this was a dire emergency. Something went wrong last night, and the new Eldonian ruler had to be notified at once.

     Sergeant McMasters stood outside the door with the servant, saying frantically, "You must wake His Majesty immediately! We have a dire emergency on our hands. Come on, wretched girl, hurry up!"
     The sergeant literally quivered in terror and that beside himself with worry. He knew, once Banes got word of the incredible blunder, his days as one of the key officers in the Eldonian army were numbered. Isn't it obvious, thought McMasters, the whole of the army gone in the blink of an eye. Whoever gave those orders to General LaGras? To retreat from Benut Province and relocate to Koror? Nonsense! The army was needed to seize Rumil, the Benutian provincial seat. What's more, Governor Chenek was supposed to be presently in the dungeons awaiting interrogation and trial. No, the governor was not there according to the prisoner roster. No such persons were brought in last night, said the warden. And there was more bad news, about Koror...

     Oh what to do? What to tell Banes...How to inform him of this horrible catastrophe?

    So wrapped in his thoughts and apprehensions, McMasters never noticed the maid entering Banes' rooms nor did he overhear the regent grumble and sputter about waking him at such a ridiculous hour.

     Half-wanting to retreat, McMasters steeled himself as the maid exited the room. She said, "Sir, Regent Banes said to wait for him in the reception room. He's very cross this morning, sir. See, I told you His Majesty doesn't like his sleep disturbed so early. Poor man, and he was so happy last night."
     Well, let's see how happy he'll be once I deliver the news...And possibly my head...

++++++

     There are times when one wishes to be dead. Well, not that drastic, but once he revealed last night's mission gone awry, he wished for a sudden heart attack, a stroke, perhaps a freak lightning bolt to sizzle him on the spot. Anything than the fate awaiting him.
     "Sire," began Sgt. McMasters to an already irascible Banes, "the launch with according to schedule. The test missile was deployed first, as per your orders. The second launched immediately afterwards. From all calculations, both weapons reached their intended targets within the thirty minute timespan."
     "And?," pressed Banes, his eyes darkening and mouth downturning into an ominous frown.
     "Sire," continued the sergeant non-stop, "there are reports of major power outages all over Koror Province. The trains from here to there have stopped running; in fact, the Lemrac Express has yet to arrive. It was due here an hour ago. We contacted the Kororian provincial palace via the telegraph several times but received no answer. Several border towns between Chalou and Koror Provinces report fires raging out of control. Sire, some of those towns have been totally wiped out, and no word of survivors. What's more, the Eldonian army is not in Benut Province. Apparently, General LaGras misread your orders, sire. According to the last report, LaGras ordered all troops to retreat from Benut and relocate in Koror. There were rumors Governor Chenek and a handful of rebels planned to storm Lemrac, possibly kidnap Princess Jolende and hold her for ransom."

     Something indeed went wrong last night, thought an enraged Banes. Pacing the room, his black velvet robe billowing wildly about, Banes mumbled irritatedly, "Starfield House...The rebels...They did this..."
     Turning to face McMasters, he said in a more calm voice, "Sergeant, you followed my orders to the letter, so I do not hold you responsible. We have been duped, my good man, and I know who's the guilty party. They now reside at Starfield House, that den of freaks and degenerates. That's where the remaining rebels are, seeking shelter in the event...Sergeant, are the bombs ready?"

     McMasters, relieved that his sovereign didn't demand his head or worse, replied, "Yes, sire. They are presently in their crates, at the Plain of Anarona."
     "Then these are my orders, and I want them carried out at once. First, send an investigative team to Koror Province. Secure the city of Lemrac, survey any casualties or damage, then report back to me immediately. Second, have ready the bombs. I want Starfield House levelled to the ground this very day, before sunset. As always, whoever gets in your way, kill them. Starfield House, once destroyed, is to be seized of all surviving inhabitants. Have your men plunder anything they want; call it rewards for a job well done. Bring all prisoners to Indria Plaza where they will be executed on the spot."

     The sergeant, taking in all the orders, clicked his heels, saluted Banes, then said, "All will be done posthaste, sire. Anything else?"
     Banes replied, steepling his long fingers, his lean face reddening into righteous anger, the dark eyes flashing , "Find Hert. I believe my new royal steward may be an Alliance spy. Bring him to me personally. I shall especially enjoy doling out his punishment."

++++++

     At the intersection of Indria Avenue and Quentin Way, a crush of citizens awaited the signal to cross. It was now well into morning, and the sheer throng of people hurried about, trying to get to work or school on time. Just an average morning rush, nothing out of the ordinary. At that corner, facing Indria Avenue, Starfield House sat, taking up the entire block. As usual, no one paid much attention to the building. No one stopped to admire its magnificent architecture nor drop in for a friendly chat or leisurely breakfast. No one noticed its lavenderstone exterior darkening to near near black. A sign of serious things to come. Of course, no one bothered to take note that the great dragonwood doors suddenly bolted themselves, sealing all inside its walls. Heavy, impenetrable iron bars silently lowered, covering those doors, warding off any intruders.
     Inside the building now resided every person of Benutian or Nemirian birth, and all those faithful to the Alliance's cause. They came last night, at the call from the leader of the Tyq rebel cell. Come here, said the message passed along each person. Come here to shelter yourselves from the impending assault. Do not find yourselves caught outside lest risk instant arrest and execution. They were all there. Each and every servant, shopgirl, barmaid. Every bootblack and coachman. All who believed in independence and justice came from all over Tyq and beyond.
     Starfield House's lobby teemed with activity. Never in the history of the place had there been such a crowd. Not even on official holidays had the venerable sanctuary housed so many. However, this time, it was not a place for fun and games. Starfield House served as protectorate, a refuge. Allane, Starfield House's chief concierge, saw to each person's well-being. She made sure no one went without fine lodgings, ample food and drink, and special diversions to ease worries. However, there was no need to worry, said Allane as she addressed a gathering of new arrivals. As long as no one ventures outside, everyone will be safe.

     Upstairs, in a luxurious penthouse suite, far finer than anything they were used to, Sivin and his daughter Tanina stood at the window overlooking the city. The daughter watched the usual comings and goings of citizens, her eyes following several young soldiers on their way to Glasswell Station.

    "They're going to get the bombs," she muttered, "but they don't know..."
    "Indeed, Tanina," only said Sivin who wondered how his wife was faring in faraway Nemir.

     Stroking his generous black beard, he, too, watched more soldiers cordoning off a five-block perimeter around Starfield House. So, Banes is really going to do it; he is determined to destroy us. Yet, as everyone here knows, Banes is so unaware of the bomb switch, though most likely he now knows of Koror's demise. While Sivin scarcely grieved for the Kororians, he knew it would come to this. Isn't it obvious? The entire Eldonian machine – King Vlaric and his predecessors, the nobles, aristocracy, the average Eldonian who could care less his betters murdered and tortured innocents – brought it upon itself. They forced the Alliance's hand, and now they are paying a bitter price for centuries of abject oppression. The people, those everyday folk who resided in Chalou Province who blindly obeyed their king at the expense of the disenfranchised. For the past five hundred years, the people have been fed a steady diet of fear, false sense of superiority, patriotic fervor to a sickening degree, a blatant disregard for those deemed "different" or "freaks." They revelled at gruesome public executions and literally spat on native Benutians and anyone who failed to show their ruler the least respect and reverence.

     Oh yes, they are still at it now, revelling in what they believe is Benut's utter destruction; however, the truth will soon reveal itself. Sivin sensed a warning will go unheeded, and the people will just look the other way and thumb their noses at the old soothsayer's dire predictions. How did Sivin, who hadn't stepped foot outside Starfield House since that fateful Landing Day, know of this? He had the privilege to sit in on a conversation between Aughir and Enos, and the three men discussed ways to urge all those who favored the Benutians and supported the Alliance's efforts to seek refuge in Starfield House or the secret underground tunnels.

     "I just hope," he said to Tanina, "they heed that warning and take shelter before it's too late. So many apprehensions of this impending attack, dear daughter. Not of its success, but of its outcome."
     Tanina turned to her father, embraced him, and said, "Papa, do not worry. For it is written: 'Out of the ashes a new land shall rise. The progeny of Amarah will return to us and restore independence and justice.' Just think, Papa, at this moment, Mama is reuniting with my sisters; they will be able to come home at last. And don't forget Danielle and Asen; they will meet Aunya."
     "All well and good, Tanina," said Sivin, "and I'm just as anxious to have all my girls home. But why am I getting this strange feeling of more secrets yet to be revealed. Call it a hunch, daughter, but I suspect there will be more surprises before we achieve our hard-won victory."

[Go to Chapter 30]

Copyright©2006, 2007 by P.R. Parker. All rights reserved.


CWW Home
CWW Fiction Files
Passion Magic Fiction Files (for mature audiences only!)
Email @ MSNTV