Flames of Eldonia


Chapter 30

     In the brilliance of the morning sun, the dragon Warith, carrying her precious cargo, winged through the clouds. The orders from Princess Evore were precise: Take your passengers to Mt. Soraring, but first land at Glacier City. There Governor Chenek is waiting. Take Chenek, along with Prince Asen and Danielle, to the town of Alecrig, near the mountain's summit.
Such orders are simple enough to carry out, and crucial for the Alliance's success.

     However, Evore made sure neither Asen nor Dani did not learn of Koror Province's fate. They would learn this very day after Dani and Aunya reunited. Besides, Lord Cadmore, Aunya's biological son and Dani's twin brother, had crucial information for Governor Chenek, and this was for Chenek's eyes and ears only. Apparently Ubu decided to share the latest intelligence report with Cadmore, thus one more trusted individual knew the true identity of Banes' new royal steward. Again, such information, and this was especially volatile, could be the telling blow to the entire Eldonian regime.

     In her luxurious suite Princess Evore had one more piece of business to attend, but first she had to hear out the latest news from Gar and Bliss. Last night, Governor Sadius succumbed to his grievous injuries but not before confessing his role in an elaborate plot to oust King Vlaric. The man, despite his body overtaken with infection and weakened by the elements, was lucid enough to detail everything: How he, Banes, and Jolende schemed to assassinate Vlaric thus securing Banes as Eldonian ruler. Sadius revealed it was Jolende who doped Vlaric's tonic, and he concluded, while en route to Koror, that Banes wanted him dead. Those soldiers attacked him, knifed him with several deep wounds, then stuffed him into a bag then threw him into the river to drown. Sadius, with his last breath, admitted that both Jolende and Banes sold him out.
     "They," Evore told Bliss, "obviously felt Sadius was too dangerous to keep alive. Best to kill him than risk him revealing all."
     "Yes," said Bliss, "Sadius said he felt those two just used him, that there was no role for him in their new Eldonian regime."
     Gar added, "From what my brother Taren told me, after he left Jolende, just before the missile strike, Jolende planned to do away with Banes after he made her his queen consort. She wanted the whole works for herself. Oh yes, she told Taren plenty."

     Now that Jolende and Sadius' role in the plot to take over Eldonia was confirmed, a concerned Evore turned to Lan, asking, "Do you still want to go to Tyq to confront Banes? It could be dangerous for you, what with the assault only hours away."
     Lan said nothing, only nodding. Of course he is going to Tyq. He has a personal score to settle with Banes. Just what kind of score was anyone's guess. Lan, though known throughout Nemir and Benut as Princess Evore's lover, was still somewhat a mystery. No one knew very much about him: From where he came, his family, or any acquaintances outside the fairy princess.
     He just washed up one day several years ago on Cape Amorra. Then he was a mere child, and no one, other than Mitra, knew his special circumstances. The guardian of the cape gave young Lan to Hanon to raise as his own son. The boy had no family to speak of and no other friends. All young Lan said when Mitra took him to Hanon was, "He made me leave. Set me out on a boat to drown. The sea was rough, and my boat capsized. I held on to the boat then just drifted along until I found the shore."
     Who was "he", and why did this monster of a man set a little boy out to sea, away from his family? He told Mitra the truth, and only Mitra. She heard his tale then suggested to wait until he becomes a young man then exact his revenge.
     As the years rolled by, Lan, who enjoyed a peaceful and ordinary existence with Hanon, grew into a fine young man, receiving a special motorcycle from Hanon as his sole transportation. On that bike, Lan struck out to see the entire country of Eldonia, learning the ways of the various people and creatures. Once he arrived in Nemir, his eye caught Princess Evore, and the two instantly fell in love. Neither was the marrying sort, so the arrangement suited both.

     Out of love and respect for Evore, and a thorough devotion to the Alliance, Lan replied, "I will go to Tyq, Evore, and I shall take special care in event I'm caught in the attack. In that case, I'll seek shelter at Starfield House."
     "But," said Bliss, "Starfield House is currently on lockdown. No one can enter..."
     She stopped then thought of something else. An alternative route to the place that now served as refuge for all those who loved freedom and justice. Taking a key from the chain around her neck, she handed it to Lan, saying, "Here, take mine. With this you'll be able to gain access to the tunnels."
     Gar eyed his lover with concern. "Bliss, that is one of only thirteen keys. Are you sure you know what you're doing?"
     Evore nodded, countering, "Why not? Lan is to be trusted, and he has much at stake in our quest as the rest of us."
     Turning to Lan, she said, "Take care, my love. Don't let Banes or his henchmen get the upper hand. Whatever obstacles he throws in your way, you know what to do."

++++++

     Glacier City, in the heart of the Nemirian range, is just that – a city built within a massive sheet of ice, only unlike ordinary glaciers, this one is stationary. The city is always cold; no warmth is ever known. In fact, the entire mountain region is permanently cold and snowy, in sharp contrast to southern Nemir which is mostly forest. Warith, a hardy dragon who is used to this frigid region, landed onto a platform of solid ice, made skid-resistent by application of coarse sand. He waited, his other passengers still on his back, for another to emerge from the chateau nearby.

     "This is a chateau?," Danielle said to Asen. "It's completely made of ice! It's beautiful, but how do these people stand to be so cold all the time? How do they keep warm?"
     Asen, wrapping his woolen cloak around him in efforts to ward off the chilly winds, explained, "They are accustomed to the cold, Dani. To provide warmth and light, they use generators powered by ichorshale. I've never been here, but Evore told me much about this part of Nemir long ago."

     They waited for what seemed like several minutes, almost an hour to Danielle; she was that uncomfortably cold. From her vantage point, she could see the city below as the chateau was on the highest point. An enchanting town as lovely and striking as Faelyn, but all the buildings and houses were made of ice, all sparkling and glittering in the morning sun. As beautiful as it looked, Glacier City was not the place Dani would like to live.
     The wait was over the moment two figures emerged from the chateau. One was Chenek; he Danielle already knew. The other was a young woman whose costume was not wholly suitable for frigid temperatures. Clad in sparkling white, the woman moved with the fluidity and grace of cold mountain stream, all sinuous and curvy. The gleaming white dress, which clinged tightly to her form, sparkled in the sunlight, as if studded with thousands of diamonds. The arms were bare except for a glittering cloak thrown casually around the shoulders. Even her hair, a stunningly shiny platinum blonde, was uncovered. Getting a closer look, Danielle noticed the woman's shoes and decided they weren't quite right for walking on slick ice. The three-inch heels alone could give way to the ice beneath her feet, sending her crashing to the ground. This Dani mentioned to Asen who laughingly said:
     "I understand the people here are especially equipped to stand the cold. Evore says they have no need to dress any other way. They pretty much keep to themselves up here, as the warmer southern climes could kill them."

     Chenek and the woman approached the dragon and his passengers. Warith gently kneeled to allow Chenek on, but not before the woman, smiling brightly at Danielle, whispered something to Chenek.
    "For your ears only," she said, "for now."
    "Thank you, Gelaria," replied Chenek as he made himself comfortable aboard the dragon's back. "Your hospitality shall not go unnoticed."
     Gelaria said, waving to her guests, "Take care, my friends." She looked at Danielle, adding, "And you must be the One. Amarah would be pleased to know her descendant is worthy of the gifts you are about to receive. Guard them well, Danielle. Your people, your country, will surely prosper under your reign."

     That said, Warith spread his wings then took flight. The trip to Alecrig was less than an hour away, and Danielle still had questions. However, it was Gelaria that piqued her curiosity. She asked Chenek just that.
     "Gelaria is Evore's cousin, Danielle," he explained, pulling the hood of his cloak over his gray-haired head. "She is Glacier City's mayor, and she put me up for the night. Lovely place, this city, though it's a tad too cold for me. Everything about it is cold and ice, except the people. But still...If it wasn't for Gelaria's kindness and gracious hospitality, I'd soon spend the night camped in the Enchanted Forest. Warmer weather, you know..."

++++++

     Deep inside the mountain hideaway, just outside the small town of Alecrig, Jalen the Keeper of Secrets, rummaged through his pocket for the key. He knew he put it there this very morning after breakfast. In spite of his youth, Jalen was a bit absentminded, a trait that wasn't that much of a handicap, but a minor annoyance to his fairy wife Ina.
     "I knew you'd forget, Jalen," said Ina as she entered the room, holding out her hand. "You left it on the table. Here. Now, are all the items ready?"
     Jalen, a boyishly handsome young man with a fair freckled face and abundant reddish hair, blushed, saying, "Sometimes I wish I hadn't inherited my father's penchant for easy distraction, though I dare say I've been so preoccupied these days. Just the thought of Amarah's direct descendent in this very room is daunting enough, at least for me."
     Ina, a pretty dark-haired fairy dressed all in pink, her delicate rosy wings fluttering smiled at her husband. She and Jalen hadn't been married long, just barely six months. Though close friends for many years, they never considered marriage. That all changed the moment Ina read an omen in her morning tea cup. There she saw the coming of Amarah's progeny, the one who is destined to liberate the land from centuries of suffering and subjugation.

     Right now, the pressing matter was to secure those items for Danielle. In that cavernous room located beneath Jalen's rambling house, were many an artifact dating from time immemorial. Nearly the entire history of Eldonia was kept in this room. Well, not the official history as known to the ruling class (which was kept in Tyq), but the hidden history of those peoples subjugated under Eldonian rule. The room itself was quite large, neatly appointed with items stored away in drawers and chests, all efficiently catalogued and arranged by subject and era. Only the truly important items were stored in a specially locked closet which could only be opened with a specially designed key. That key was now in Jalen's hand.
     The curious little key looked more like an odd corkscrew and carved from a solid chunk of lavenderstone, the very substance which had the power to change colors in response to impending life-changing events.
     Upon unlocking the door, Jalen and Ina entered. That closet, despite its cramped size, appeared totally different from the rest of the room. The walls were of gold and crystal, a chest of solid, highly polished dragonwood its sole occupant. With gentle handling, Jalen and Ina moved the chest out of the closet; then Ina produced another key to open the chest.

     "Not yet, Ina," said Jalen. "Not until Danielle and Asen arrive. Oh, is Aunya on her way?"
     "Yes," replied Ina. "She will be here shortly."
     "Then," said Jalen, "let us wait until all parties arrive. Aunya must have time to reconnect with her long-absent children. Then we'll present Danielle with Amarah's crown jewels..."
     "And," rejoined Ina, "the weapons. That is, if they're needed."
     Jalen shook his head, saying, "No, Ina. I don't think the weapons are necessary. Didn't you hear what the gryphon Aten told us this morning? All of Eldonia – those parts stolen from us – will be destroyed this evening. Every vestige of the sea-faring trio who stole and commandeered our land and way of life will vanish. In its place will be a new united land built on justice and equality. Now, we must keep Danielle and Asen here for the duration of the assault. It is for their own safety."

     Ina didn't wholly understand though the impending assault on Eldonia was common knowledge throughout Nemir and Benut Provinces. She asked, "Is there something else you're not telling me, Jalen? I get the feeling there is more than just Aunya and her children reuniting."
     Jalen nodded, "There is, but I am not liberty to say, not now. I've been sworn to secrecy by Evore and Ubu. I can't even share it with you, though I truly want to. This new development in the Alliance's efforts could have profound consequences for everyone – and Banes, in his smug arrogance will not realize it until Tyq is almost obliterated."
     He paused, adding, "This is one time I wish King Vlaric was still alive, as he should be the one hearing this astounding news. Such explosive information would have surely sent him over the edge..."

     "But," said another figure entering the room, "he did learn it, and it ultimately killed him."

     Into the room strolled the sorceress Dian who, at this moment, held all the cards for one player, perhaps two, in this drama. With one sweep of her hand, she had the power to make things right, but now was not the time. It has to be at the most crucial moment to reveal...
     "Ina," she said, "Jalen has every reason to keep this from you, but I, not so bound to secrecy, can trust you with this. You see..."
     After Dian revealed that amazing information, Ina's eyes nearly popped. Is that right? Did Dian speak the truth? No wonder he insisted on being here when Danielle and Aunya meet.
     Turning to Jalen, Ina said, "Then let us go up to greet our guests, dear husband. I must see the reaction when he reveals himself."

[Go to Chapter 31]

Copyright©2006, 2007 by P.R. Parker. All rights reserved.


CWW Home
CWW Fiction Files
Passion Magic Fiction Files (for mature audiences only!)
Email @ MSNTV