Flames of Eldonia


Chapter II

Danielle Bennett, an idealistic attorney, savvy entrepreneuer, compassionate confidante, loving daughter...

A few days ago she imagined herself safe and sound in her parents' home, away from nature's fury. Sure, she had every intention of leaving her comfortable home in Charleston, that is if her ever-present work ethic hadn't kicked in, causing her to delay evacuating to more secure surroundings.

She thought she'd be able to outrun the storm, drive far enough inland before it made landfall. She had no idea the storm would be that potent, that deadly.
And now, because of her ill-fated decision, Dani found herself a stranger in a strange land.

Eldonia...

Why hadn't she heard of it? As far as she knew, the country wasn't on any map, never even mentioned in any world history or geography book. But when Tanina kindly showed a map of Eldonia, Dani was floored. For all practical purposes, Eldonia looked very much like Antarctica, right down the landforms, the locations of mountains and water features, everything except the snow and ice pack – and the bitter cold.
On this day, Dani found herself in a carriage en route to Rumil, the regional seat of Benut. On the way, Tanina tried best to explain Eldonia, a country actually divided into four distinct regions, each of which had its own regional seats, governor, and unique culture. Dani received a crash course on Eldonian history and legend, learning that Benut, Tanina's home, was really much older than what was known as Eldonia.

"Benut is centuries old," Tanina explained. "In the early days, Benut was a republic, much like your America. But, about 500 years ago, three seafarers were shipwrecked on the shores of what is now Chalou, the seat of Eldonian power."
Tanina went on to educate Dani on Eldonia's strange past, and its 'founders'. In fact, Dani learned that those founders were really European explorers in search of new routes to the Spice Islands. "Much like Columbus was looking for a new route to India, but he ended up in the Americas," said Dani, trying to put it all in a perspective she could understand. Those men were only known by their first names: Thomas, Yves, and Quentin. According to legend, the trio made good use of their predicament and settled in what is now Tyq, Eldonia's capital. "Ah, so it's the founders' initials: Thomas, Yves, and Quentin."
"Yes," replied Tanina, "and from them Eldonia's system of government. Actually, the region they settled had no name. The men, according to legend, bestowed the name 'Chalou'. It is said the name is borrowed from two of the men's kings: Charles and Louis."

Anyway, Dani learned so much more about the evolution of Eldonia and the resultant, longstanding strained relationship with Benut. It was much to digest in one afternoon, and Dani tried her best to cope with her situation. An avid reader of fantasy stories since childhood, Danielle often wondered if such magical, mysterious lands really did exist and not just figments of the authors' imaginations. Oh sure, fantasy countries such as Oz and Dinotopia seemed farfetched, too good to be true with their apparent utopian societies. However, for all the fantastic wonderment, there is a dark side to "fantasy". Wasn't Oz beset by witches and evil gnomes? Wasn't there always some person waiting to overthrow the benevolent ruler only to transform the kingdom into a cruel dictatorship?
And these lands almost always had something in common: Newly arrived people could never go home. Oh, Dorothy was able to return to Kansas, but by the sixth book, she opted to live in Oz, even brought Aunt Em and Uncle Henry with her. On the other hand, Arthur and Will, once shipwrecked on Dinotopia, could never return home, the same fate as all human arrivals before and after them.
And wasn't it too strange that those people from the "real world" always stumbled upon these fantastic worlds by accident, usually via a storm or shipwreck.

So many concerns to mull over in one day, too much information that proved to Dani that Eldonia was no Oz or Narnia. There was no sense of wonderment, no utopian society so to speak, and almost no hope.

What greeted Dani was a country ruled by a series of cruel, grasping kings. It pained her when Tanina explained that Benut, the region to the south, was once a thriving republic, and that it was a matriarchal society. Dani's adoptive family explained that, centuries ago, once those three shipwrecked men settled, things began to change. Thomas, Yves, and Quentin began exploring their new home and found Benut, a land rich in minerals and other natural resources. It was only natural that the trio would be quite shocked to discover the strange land already inhabited. But the Benutians' culture, their ways, their religion, everything, was so foreign, even threatening to those adventurous young men. However, since it was obvious that they could not ever return to their home countries, the men made do with what fate handed them. They readily, if waringly, networked with the Benutians, formed a temporary alliance to ensure access to resources – and women. If these men were to settle and establish their own separate colony, they needed to populate the land.

At first, the Benutians welcomed the newcomers, generously sharing their resources, and yes, their women. Thomas, the self-appointed leader of the now christened province of Chalou, married one of Benut's most beautiful women, a graceful dancer named Indria, reputed to be a direct descendent of Amarah, Benut's legendary goddess/queen. Yves and Quentin took wives as well, and within a few years the trio were the proud fathers of several children. In time, more people from other countries, mostly those seafaring Europeans who only wanted to explore new lands beyond theirs, arrived by the scores, blown in by fierce winds.

No, thought Dani, more than five centuries of history is too much to digest in a matter of minutes. From what Tanina told her, Eldonia, renamed that before Thomas' death, was originally four separate regions before Thomas, Yves, and Quentin "unified" the country. Each province had its own unique culture and history, and each got along with the other although relations were a bit strained. With the arrival of those men and their ways of governing, the congenial relations ended.

"It is said," explained Tanina, "that it was Thomas who instituted monarchy, and he wanted all the regions under one rule. Our ways of governing were totally foreign to these men."
Dani concurred, "They were from...hmm...14th or 15th Century Europe, and all the nations from where they hailed had a long line of kings and queens. To that medieval mindset, having a king was 'divinely ordained'. Republics were unknown then, so it stands to reason that Thomas and his companions established a monarchy with no qualms. But what did that do to your Benutian republic?"

It was Sivin who answered that, but hestitated since recalling centuries-old battles for the control of Eldonia's states resulted in present conditions.
"There were wars, not long after Thomas' death. It was Quentin and Yves, and their subsequent descendents, who took it upon themselves to usurp our way of life. The most recent war was not two-hundred years ago, and that was for annexing Benut. Our people suffered atrocities untold. The Chalouians forced us to abandon our government, forced us to work day and night in the mines and fields just so the rulers and aristocracy could have fine things in their homes. Our women were stripped of their status. Did Tanina tell you that Benutian women, long ago, held high offices, owned great acres of land? But the Chalouians, in their quest to conquer us, made us give up our republican ways and forced us to pledge allegiance to their king. When King Vort – that was Yves' great-grandson – emerged the victor of the Battle of Inamor, that sealed our fate forever."
"But what of the other regions?," asked Dani, now insatiably curious about this wondrous but troubled country. "Surely the Chalouians would conquer them."
"Dani," said Sivin, shaking his head, "when the province of Chalou invaded Benut, King Vort made a pact with Koror. That is the 'favored' province. The Kororians are practitioners of the dark arts, and their freedom depended upon full cooperation with Vort's forces. Of course, once Chalou and Koror emerged victorious, the entire country was united under the name 'Eldonia'. It is said King Vort borrowed the name from Thomas' maternal cousin."

As they neared the governor's mansion, Dani learned more about Eldonia's varied regions. Of course there was Benut, a once thriving republic where women enjoyed freedom not known by their Renaisance European counterparts. Chalou was the seat of Eldonian power. Koror, the middle province, was home to practitioners of magic, especially the dark arts. Then there was Nemir, a mountainous, densely forested, forbidding land the north. Not much was known about that region other than it was populated by all peoples and creatures marvelous and fantastic. It is said Nemir's governor, Princess Evore, is part fairy, and that she rides about her dominion on a fine black dragon. Dani learned that Nemir figured little in Eldonian history because it was deemed too far away and lacking in much-wanted resources.

"But what they don't know," said Sivin, "is that many Benutians have fled there. Nemir is our only ally, and Princess Evore welcomes all those who feel persecuted by King Vlaric and his minions. My eldest daughters, Mag and Lysa, now reside in Nemir."
Sivin tried to stifle a sob; he missed his children that much.

Dani was shocked, and righteously perturbed. "If it is that bad, then why don't you come together and overthrow this Vlaric?"
"Because," replied Tanina who comforted her father, "we are waiting for a sign."

******

Danielle also learned a few things about her adoptive family. Sivin was a Benutian tradesman, dealing in fish, wine, and timber. His wife Khalina had the distinction of being one of the best healers in the region. In fact, most Benutian women are healers by both trade and custom. The other occupation for Benutians, especially the women, was entertaining, dancing to be specific. Tanina, as her sisters beforer her, was as finest a dancer in all Benut. Often, she would travel throughout the country, more often to Rumil, Benut's provincial seat, enthralling people with her magical, lyrical terpsichorean feats.

Tanina and Khalina explained to Dani that dancing is a prized, time-honored art dating back to Benut's early days. Legend has it that Amarah, Benut's patron goddess and first ruler, gave the gift of the dance to women. And it was dancing to celebrate the feminine, to extol woman's sexual freedom and enjoyment. No, it was not lascivious or distasteful, not as most Eldonians viewed it. What looks like sexy body movements to the eye really is intended to arouse the mind and soul. Sure, the sight of a well-toned female body sensually undulating does arouse the sexual appetite, but it actually celebrates the freedom once enjoyed by Benutian women. In a way, the dance is the only connection Benutians have to their past.

"So much of our culture has been suppressed by the Eldonian rulers," said Tanina as they neared the governor's mansion. "We women still make our living by dancing and healing, but the repressive atmosphere that is Eldonian society sees such activities as frivolous and dangerous."
"Perhaps," reasoned Dani, "they're really afraid of you, that is if you continue the dancing, the people could become so worked up to revolt."
"That's what it's all about," said Khalina with a twinge of bitterness in her voice. Then, "What talents do you have, Dani? Sivin keeps asked about that, and if you're to remain with us, he insists you earn your keep."

Danielle thought about that. Obviously, these Eldonians have no use for a female corporate attorney; women here are reduced to "gender-appropriate" roles. But there is one thing she excels at: dancing. Years ago, as part of an exercise regimen, Dani took up dancing – belly and erotic dancing to be precise. She was curious about the art of such and felt belly dancing would be good to keep the abdominal muscles tight. As for the 'exotic, erotic', Dani just wanted to explore her femininity, something that she had to suppress all during her legal schooling and career. Being cooped up in an office all day and wearing professional business attire did little to bring out that ultra-feminine side, the wild sexual animal. Not that Dani needed any help in releasing her sexual nature; she was fully aware of that. Oh, there were a couple of guys she dated off and on, but Dani simply had no time to pursue a serious relationship. Her career came first; marriage simply had to wait.

"I do dance a bit," she offered, adding, "and I think I do it well, if not as good as your women."
At that mention, Tanina suggested, "Well, looks like you've found your niche. After our audience with Governor Chenek, we leave for Tyq for Day of the Landing festivities. Why don't you show off your talents? You can follow my lead. It would mean so much to me, and to my parents."

******

"Ubu, how long before we board the train?"
"According to my calculations, sir, less than an hour."
Governor Chenek paced his office, profoundly dreading the journey to Tyq for the Day of the Landing festivities. As far as he was concerned, the special day was just another bitter reminder of Benut's defeat at the hand of those invaders. Well, to Chenek, those men shipwrecked on this land more than five centuries ago were invaders, strangers who did nothing but gobble resources and usurp authority for themselves. Those men – Thomas, Yves, and Quentin – brought with them ways that proved to be Benut's undoing. After all, Benut was an idyllic, almost utopian society until that trio came, divided, and conquered. And they did it with the help of the neighboring province of Koror. The Kororians had always wanted a bigger piece of the pie, so to speak, and the subsequent wars made it that more easily attained. Relations between the Benutians and Kororians had always been rather strained but never to the point of outright warfare. Surely, both Benut and Koror prized the practice of magic as long as it didn't aim to harm. The Nemirians use magic freely, and they have a code of never using it for harm or personal gain. But the Kororians...

Chenek wished he could feign illness, therefore having an excuse for skipping the festivities. No doubt, he would have to sit with the other Eldonian governors: Banes of Chalou; Sadius of Koror; Princess Evore of Nemir. Of the three, Chenek admired Evore best; the others he hated with a passion. Governor Banes had a reputation for cruelty, naturally following his sovereign's, King Vlaric, lead. Sadius, albeit pleasant in public, was a man of abject vices and prejudices. In Sadius was a hidden agenda, so thought Chenek, and it was no secret Sadius wanted very much for Benut to become even more subjugated under the Eldonians. Well, this year, his wish may come true, for today's celebration would be capped by the official announcement of Crown Prince Asen's, Vlaric's son, engagement to Princess Jolende of Koror. Such a marriage, with Asen on the Eldonian throne and Jolende as queen consort, would forever seal Benut's fate, and Eldonia's hold over all.

O what to do? Chenek, despite pledging loyalty to the Eldonian sovereign, prayed and hoped everyday that someone, something, would come forth and put a fire into his people like nothing before. Only then would the Benutians regain what was rightfully theirs. There was a centuries-old prophecy proclaiming that a direct descendent of Amarah would appear, crush the Eldonian royal lineage, and lead the Benutians to victory and renewed independence.
However, that prophecy had yet to fulfill itself, and perhaps it never would, not with what happened nearly thirty years ago when Vlaric inherited the throne. Those three decades ago, upon hearing the prophecy, Vlaric issued an edict ordering every Benutian baby slaughtered. Of course, Chenek had no alternative; his king's wishes had to be obeyed. It pained him to sit by and watch countless babies snatched from their mothers' arms, piled onto a pyre then set ablaze. Some infants which escaped the fiery demise were simply stabbed with sword and dagger. Others were carried away to barren, windswept lands and left to die in the elements. The parents' laments were too much to bear, and Chenek had entertained committing suicide rather than endure any more of Vlaric's cruelty. No, he thought, something good may come out of all this madness.

The governor was soon aroused from his reverie. "Sir," announced Ubu, Chenek's personal secretary, "Sivin and his family is here to see you. Shall I tell them to leave? After all, it nearly time to depart for Tyq."
Governor Chenek paused, swept his long fingers through his lank, thinning gray hair, saying, "Ubu, since when do I turn away the people? Show Sivin and his family in. And you know, I'm feeling ever so generous today. They shall travel to Tyq with me, in my private rail car."

No sooner had his guests stepped in the office did Chenek do a doubletake. Why was Khalina carrying that doll? Where did she get it? And who is this lovely redhead accompanying them? Could she be...?

[To Be Continued...Go to Chapter 3]

Copyright©2004, 2006 by P.R. Parker. All rights reserved.


CWW Home
CWW Fiction Files
Passion Magic Fiction Files (for mature audiences only!)
Email @ MSNTV
Email @ Yahoo