Flames of Eldonia


Chapter Eleven

     In his darkened chambers, King Vlaric sat, brooding over his missing son. At first, His Majesty feared his son had been kidnapped during a botched assassination attempt. However, word came back to him via Jolende and Banes that Asen had been kidnapped by the Benutians, and that Governor Chenek was the mastermind. Jolende reported seeing Asen take out a magical shell, dropping it on the tent floor which sent forth thick pink smoke, creating a blinding screen.
     "Don't you see, sire," said Banes, "one of Chenek's minions had to give that shell to the prince, telling him it was a magical love potion. We all know how reluctant Asen was to marry so soon; perhaps he thought his little charm would make him love Jolende."
     "Perhaps," said a tearful Jolende, "they are holding Asen captive in one of their drab little villages. He could be chained up in a ratty cottage, a cave...Starving, tortured, beaten. I can't imagine something so horrible, and I believe I can't hold on much longer without him. I love Asen, sire, and am willing to help you bring him home safe and sound."

     So, his son had indeed been kidnapped, by those confounded Benutians. Why his forebears didn't wipe that pitiful region off the map was beyond Vlaric. No doubt those people have dreamed up another pathetic rebellion, a resistance movement to overthrow the Crown thus paving the way to re-establish their stupid 'republic'. Such a government, rule by representatives chosen by the uneducated, unlawful masses, is bound to fail before it succeeds. Why, it is divinely ordained men should be ruled by kings, not a huge body of men. No doubt still, the Benutians intend, if their rebellion is allowed to succeed, to reintroduce women's right to own property, to take their place within the government, to have more say in their roles. Nonsense! Women's only duty is to procreate and please their husbands, to obey their fathers and brothers, to submit to any male authority.

     He said at last, "So, they're at it again, the Benutians with their pitiful little band of rebels. Well, I shall crush them once and for all. Banes, is the weapon ready?"
     Banes, in his usual lofty style, replied, "Sire, it arrived only this evening via special express, as well as crates of phérium bombs to be used on Starfield House."
     "Splendid," said Vlaric with oily satisfaction. "Already I've sent troops to surround Starfield House. No one is to enter nor leave that den of freaks and villains. Where is Governor Chenek?"
     "Gone back to Rumil, Your Majesty," said Banes. "I've received a message from his aide Ubu. Chenek respectfully apologized for missing the afternoon entertainment, and that he was en route to the Benutian Embassy this very evening."

     Still dressed as the predatory femme fatale in her figure-hugging black sequined gown but hardly playing hot-to-trot, Jolende, strangely silent during this confab, and a bit perturbed that Vlaric hadn't the faintest concern for his son, grew somewhat apprehensive. She and Banes wanted Vlaric to become so preoccupied in finding Asen that he'd neglect other, more mundane things. Banes insisted His Majesty would do just that; all Jolende had to do was to make like the grieving bride-to-be.
     She tearfully said, "Sire, if I may. Asen was sitting right beside me during the performances. He whispered that he'd so desperately wanted to marry me as soon as possible, not wait until the official date. And that's when he pulled out the shell. I think it contained a love potion, and it worked. I am more in love with your son than I can possibly say."
     The tears came fast and furious; her sobs nearly grew to outright bawling. The more she tried to persuade Vlaric to step up the search for Asen, the more emotional she became. Somehow, her perfect performance was working as Vlaric rose from his chair, then tugged the bell pull. He drew nearer to Jolende as she continued to sob her heart out.
     "I-I'm sorry, Your Majesty," she said, her body heaving with grief, her face buried in a black handkerchief. "I know I should not be acting this way, but I can't help it. I love Asen, and it grieves me to think what those people could do to him. You say the Benutians may be preparing another rebellion, and that Chenek eggs it on, only this time they've kidnapped Asen. They're holding him hostage with your abdication as ransom!"

     What is this?, thought Vlaric. How did Jolende and Banes know of this latest development? Never mind, as he fully understood the lengths those blasted Benutians would go to oust their true king only to restore their pathetic republican ways. They will soon know pain as they've never known before. He will smite them down with a force so powerful, so thoroughly destructive, any hopes of rebellion would be crushed. Only then, once Benut is reduced to smouldering cinders, would its people finally realize who has the upper hand, who is really in charge, and where they stand in the natural order which is on the very bottom.

     His royal steward, Aughir, entered the room followed by René LaGras, Captain of the Royal Guard and Winfred, Admiral of the Eldonian Navy. Aughir, beside himself ever since Prince Asen's disappearance, began to revile his role as Vlaric's flunky. To be sure, he was forever grateful those Eldonian nobles took him under their wing and reared him as their son, yet he never quite got over his true Benutian roots. His heart ached and pounded as His Majesty laid out the business at hand.

     "Gentlemen," Vlaric said in his authoritarian voice, "I apologize for calling you at this late hour, however what happened today must be dealt with. My son is missing, possibly kidnapped by the Benutians. I believe Chenek is involved, most likely the ring leader in all this drama. There is also word that a new resistance movement is afoot in Benut, perhaps has spread to Chalou province. However, it is my son's safe return that is paramount. This is where you, René and Winfred, come in. I want the Navy to surround Benut's entire coastline. Stop up her harbors so no ships enter or leave. The Army is to do the same: Station every available man in every key border city. No goods nor services shall pass her borders."
     "In other words," said a worried Aughir, "create a blockade."
     "Precisely," said Vlaric. "When we disrupt their trade, their food supplies dwindle, their income greatly reduced. They will not be able to export their goods to us. Let their grain and livestock sit on the docks and rot for all I care. Then, René, I want your men to search each and every village in Benut. If people do not cooperate, burn everything! Homes, businesses, farms in their entirety. Leave no survivors. Winfred, bombard the entire coastline in the event a few Benutians try to flee via ship. Blow any vessel out of the water that even tries to escape."
     The ever obedient and loyal René LaGras said, "Sire, it shall be done. What about Rumil, the capital?"
     Vlaric smiled sinisterly, saying, "Save Rumil for last. Once you've reached the city gates, have your men swarm every street. Search every building, home, shop, barn, until you find my son. Bring him back alive. As for Chenek, do what you will...No..."

     His Majesty's mouth broadened into an evil smirk.
     "On second thought, bring Chenek here, in chains, to me. I shall have a special punishment for that traitor! I want him alive, for you see, I shall show him the full power of Eldonia, the greatest advance in war machinery ever developed. Once he sees this weapon's awesomely destructive power, once he witnesses his beloved land reduced to rubble, he shall bow down to me. Then I shall personally carry out his execution, and it will not be swift or pain-free. I want him to feel it all, the pain and humiliation. Oh yes, any Benutian survivors, if there are any left, are to be brought to Tyq immediately. I want them brought to Indria Plaza, to the very front of the platform, where they shall have the pleasure of watching their governor writhe in agony and scream for mercy..."
     He laughed wickedly then said, "Men, you have your orders. Carry them out – Tonight!"

     As soon as Aughir and the military leaders left, Vlaric turned to Jolende, saying comfortingly, "Do not worry your pretty head, my child. Your prince shall return in time for the wedding. Once I've dispatched Chenek and those ruffian Benutians, you and Asen shall have the most lavish wedding in all Eldonia. Just think on that, my dear. Now, why don't you run along, dry those lovely eyes and get some rest. Banes and I have some unfinished business to discuss."
     Jolende, now satisfied her performance paid off handsomely, embraced her future father in-law, saying, "Sire, you are a godsend. Thank you for bringing down those awful people who took our Asen."
     Then, drying her eyes, she glanced at Banes who in turn offered a slight smile. Yes, she thought, all is going splendidly in our favor. Now, if only Vlaric will develop one of his splitting headaches. I have a special concoction to remedy that...

++++++

     Down at the Oaken Bucket Tavern, an out of the way spot in the old coastal town of Chalouville, Globbock sat at a quiet table in the back of the room. He sipped his ale, anticipating the latest news of the renewed Benutian resistance movement. A short, slight man wearing a simple white vest and black pants, Globbock didn't need to stand out in a crowd. His very ordinary, downright plain and homely, appearance was a blessing, so he thought. After all, if he is regarded by King Vlaric as the best and most effective spy, handsome and well-groomed would not do. Globbock was nearsighted and always wore thick-lensed horn-rimmed glasses. His eyes were of a light blue, and his stringy dark-brown hair was worn short and spiky. His mannerisms suggested mild-mannered and unassuming, but those qualities were what enabled him to infiltrate whatever subversive activity. To Vlaric, any activity that might be a threat to the Crown was subversive.

     On this evening, Globbock awaited another of his spy network, a young man named Iacho who hailed from the nearby Chalouian village of Deeton, situated on Chalou's many coastal islands. Iacho, despite his youth, was brave and cunning, blessed with the gift of gab and guile, traits useful for gaining access to any enemy group. This evening, Iacho was en route to Chalouville after meeting with a group of Benutian rebels. Using his charm and knowledge of Benutian history and culture, Iacho wormed his way into their midst, and those poor souls had no idea their newest recruit was actually a spy for King Vlaric.
     A shadowy figure passed the window as Globbock drained his tankard. He called to the barmaid to bring two more tankards then leave him and his company as they were to discuss delicate business.
     The barmaid just shrugged then did as requested, but she politely and cheerfully said, "I gotta close up an hour, so whatever your business meeting, please make it short. You know closing time is strictly enforced around here, and Papa will be so angry if we get another citation. Poor man had to pay a fifty aurae fine the last time you and your friend were here."
     Globbock winked and grinned at the barmaid, saying, "Rest assured, honey, we won't be too long. I know how it is for poor working stiffs since I've one of them. Hey, once we're done here, I'll leave you a nice fat tip just for being so friendly." The barmaid laughed, replying, "Hey, thanks, mister."
     As she left the table, Iacho entered the tavern. Thank goodness there were precious few patrons this time of night. Besides, the tavern would close in about an hour, and Iacho knew his report had to as brief as possible.

     Iacho, a slender, handsome youth of eighteen with thick blond hair and light green eyes, spotted his boss sitting at the corner table. After greeting the barmaid, he made his way to Globbock's table. Once there, he sat down, drank a good draught of ale, then proceeded with his report.
     "Globbock," he said in hushed tones, glancing about if anyone decided to eavesdrop, "I got here as soon as I could. You wouldn't believe what those rebels are up to. I tell you, for our country's sake, you must inform Vlaric of this plot."
     His immediate superior asked, "And what are those savages planning? Not blow up the Royal Palace!"
    "No," said Iacho, "something far more sinister. The cells are all over the province of Chalou. You know how the many Benutians work in our province as day laborers, cooks, servants, entertainers. They are taking advantage of their many comings and goings. From what I've manage to gather from the last meeting was this..."
     Iacho continued to explain that the Benutian rebels had spread out all over Chalou Province, although concentrated their efforts in the capital city of Tyq. He reported seeing crates of phérium grenades sitting at the rail station. Yet, one crate was labelled "CAUTION! HANDLE WITH CARE."
     He said, "Why mislabel a crate of what is a dangerous substance. In the past, such crates are labelled as such to ascertain the exact contents. Why did they omit 'phérium'? I don't know all the answers, but my guess is they somehow have been switching an ineffective, useless substance for the real thing."
     Globbock stroked his narrow chin, asking, "Is that all you've gathered?"
     Iacho nodded in reply, "That is all I could get from them. When I joined their little cell, I asked what my role in this rebellion should be. They said I could act as lookout in case Vlaric's spies or soldiers happen to stumble upon the operation."
     He laughed briefly, adding, "Stupid fools! If they only knew their latest recruit is a spy."

     Globbock let out one of his characteristic loud belly laughs which reverberated throughout the cramped little tavern. He said, "Well, allow me to inform His Majesty...No, King Vlaric is pre-occupied with finding his son. Did you find out anything about that? Are the Benutians responsible for Prince Asen's disappearance?"
     Iacho shook his head. "No, they revealed nothing like that. Most seemed quite shocked the prince is missing at all. You know, His Highness visited Benut Province some time ago during his youth. So had his friend Lord Cadmore, so the rebels' concern for Prince Asen's disappearance is understandable."
     Globbock still didn't buy the rebel concern for Asen, but he suggested Iacho now remain underground, or better yet, return to his Deeton home. Naturally Iacho protested, "But I still haven't uncovered the full true nature of their plot. Let me stay with the cell a few more days."
     "But," said Globbock, "days we do not have. I must inform His Majesty, but since he is occupied in locating his son, I will tell Governor Banes of this crate switching. Any idea what is really in those crates?"
     Again, Iacho shook his head, saying, "I suppose it maybe harmless crystals, perhaps stones to make the box feel heavy. You know they pack phérium in leaden cases prior to packing. The stuff is that dangerous."
     Globbock drained his tankard then said, "Oh well, whatever it is, I will inform Banes of this switch. And yes, I guess you can remain with the rebel cell a while longer. Get to know these people better, try to impress them with your special knowledge of their homeland. In other words, you must convince them you are sincere and agree to their politics."

     He shooed away an odd looking moth which insisted on fluttering about his tankard. The insect flew high up to the rafters then alighted onto a rafter directly over Globbock's table.
     "Stupid bugs," grumbled Globbock. "I wish Elanda and Osand would fumigate this place. All evening I had to swat that pesky moth but it keeps getting away. "
     Shrugging, he said to Iacho, "Whatever you do, be careful not to be discovered. The Benutians, for all their odd ways, can detect falsehoods in a heartbeat. Keep your eyes and ears peeled, boy, as it's in our country's best interest. Now, let's get out here before Elanda shoves us out the door."

     As soon as the men left The Oaken Bucket, that little moth fluttered out an open window and flew towards Starfield House. She had much to report to Princess Evore.

[Go to Chapter 12]

Copyright©2006 by P.R. Parker. All rights reserved.


CWW Home
Contact Author/Webmistress