Flames of Eldonia


Chapter Twelve

     From her penthouse window at Starfield House, Princess Evore could see, even in the late night darkness, many of Vlaric's Royal Guard approaching the place. To the left, looking toward the harbor, she witnessed numerous battleships departing. So, it has come to this, she thought. Vlaric intends to make war on innocents to find his missing son.
     Already, word reached Evore's ears that the King had dispatched his Royal Army and Navy to Benut. The Army was to station men at key towns along the Chalou-Benut border. The Navy was to surround Benut's entire coastline, create a blockade that bars any arriving or departing ships. If any Benutians, via land or sea, decide to escape, they would be shot on sight. Once the blockade succeeds in starving the Benutians, the army will swarm all over the land, burning and pillaging each and every town and village. Vlaric ordered his men to leave no survivors and show no mercy. It is Asen's safe return that is paramount, so if those people will not cooperate, make them suffer.
     However, the most damning information received by Evore was Vlaric's contention Governor Chenek had to be behind Asen's kidnapping. His Majesty had suspected a new resistance movement afoot, and Chenek orchestrated the kidnapping to force Vlaric to abdicate, thus destroying the monarchy and restoring the Benutian Republic. Even more disturbing was that two of Vlaric's spies had infiltrated one of the rebel cells stationed near Tyq. Apparently, the one called Iacho learned of the crates of harmless niuvite bombs sent to Glasswell Station. He, a fairly clever young man, figured out the mislabelled crates did not contain phérium, but another substance completely useless or, perhaps, just leaden boxes which would explain the crates' heavy weight.
Stupid man!, thought Evore. And even more stupid is his boss, Globbock.

     Evore had to thank her own spies, Io and Lumos, two Nemirian moon moths who often acted as their princess' eyes and ears. Being lowly insects – to the ignorant Eldonians, they were merely pesky bugs – Io and Lumos could hover about out of the way places, sit on rafters, cling to window screens and walls. All the while they listen to secret conversations, gathering any information that is useful. On this night, both moths agreed to go to the Royal Palace then on to the Oaken Bucket tavern. Io clung to Vlaric's chamber window, near the lantern, where she heard each and every word uttered by the King and his minions. She in turn reported, word for word, just what was said in that room. Lumos did the same at the tavern, hovered around Globbock and took in every word passed between him and Iacho. She knew Globbock's characteristic loud belly laugh, the only thing that gave him away.
     Princess Evore thanked her spies for this timely news, then said, "I want you to alert Aten the gryphon, Mitra, Guardian of Cape Amorra, and Oadela the sea dragon. Tell them they must protect Benut's coast with whatever means necessary. If they have to sink every one of Vlaric's battleships, take every sailor to the bottom of the sea, so be it!"
     She then asked Lumos to go to Mount Soraring, seek out Lan Blax, then return to Faelyn, the capital of Nemir. They were to go to Evore's palace and wait. Both moths' services will be needed when the dwarf Basileric brings special guests to Nemir.

øøøøøø

     Evore then had to make sure Asen and Danielle escaped the city safely. She also worried about Sivin and his family. They could not, now, return to Brightbridge as, once they arrive home, the Royal Navy would have bottled up the harbor, even would have begun bombarding the town. So she suggested to Moopie that the family remain in Starfield House for the time being. It may days, weeks even, before anyone could leave; it was just too risky. Too bad Chenek and Ubu had already departed for Rumil earlier that evening. The governor and his aide most likely will walk into a city in chaos; Chenek himself could be arrested and brought back to Tyq in chains. That was a chance that will not be taken. Once Vlaric made up his mind, and Evore could read the man oh-so well, there would be no stopping the bloodbath His Majesty so vehemently vowed.
     Well, thought the fairy princess, Vlaric still does not know about Danielle, or Rhindra as is the lady's birth name, daughter of Aunya, and a direct descendant of the Goddess-Queen Amarah. She was one child – no, two children – who did not perish in Vlaric's purge of all Benutian newborns. Said children are now grown, Danielle is the One who is destined to overthrow centuries of oppression thus restoring peace and justice to the land.
     Evore also knew the very name 'Eldonia', once the lands of Chalou and Koror are destroyed, and Benut and Nemir unite per Queen Indria's dream, would be no more. The newly united lands would henceforth be called Xanagaea.

     However, that dream republic was just that – a dream. To ensure the dream becoming reality, Evore sent for Moopie and Sivin. Much had to be done before Vlaric and his minions undo all the resistance's painstaking work and planning. Everything had to go on as scheduled. So far, what with the King and Governor Banes, by now, learning those phérium crates were mislabelled, Starfield House will remain unharmed as the rest of Tyq burned. It would take much convincing of those who stayed here to remain inside and not venture out. Once the army bombards the place with what they believe are potent phérium grenades, Vlaric would finally realize the tables had been turned. Then, when that weapon Asen described is deployed, the King and his men will be in for the shock of their lives.
     While Evore really didn't want the struggle for independence to come to such violence, this was necessary. Call it divine revenge, swift retribution, tit for tat. Let the Eldonians for once feel all the pain and sorrow they themselves had inflicted on the people.

øøøøøø

     They – Prince Asen, Danielle, Cadmore, Evore, and Moopie – gathered on the balcony of Evore's penthouse overlooking all of Tyq. From their vantage point they could see the entire Royal Navy departing the harbor en route to Benut's coastline. Down in Glasswell Station, many trains departed for the same region, carrying dozens of troops. This, Asen finally realized, means war.

     Father means it, and he intends to use that awful weapon of which plans I happened to see during a meeting between my father and Governors Banes and Sadius. This was the day before Father announced that I would marry Jolende. There is something else more sinister going on with those three – Sadius, Jolende, and Banes. I wouldn't doubt Father knows what his loyal minions scheme behind his back. He is naturally suspicious and shows such contempt for those in his own court. Even the steward Aughir is not trusted. This Father had said to me countless times.
     And Danielle, what is about her that intrigues me so? Why do I feel so drawn to her? Could it be she is a stranger in our midst, a breath of fresh air that is so lacking in our world? She is different, hails from a country where women have much freedom and power. She is learned, ambitious, but she also has a kind heart, something Jolende has never possessed. I wonder what Danielle would say if I told her I loved her...

    Asen's declaration of love for Dani would have to wait. At the present time, much needed to be done for the future of this nation. If the resistance efforts go off as planned, then that independence so many had longed for could finally be a reality. However, King Vlaric's accusations of the Benutians kidnapping his son, thus sending out his entire armed forces to wipe out Benut Province in retaliation, provided an unexpected snag. How would Evore know Asen would use Mitra's magical shell so soon. Time was of the essence, so Evore laid out her plans for everyone's safety and the success of the rebellion.
     Once Dani heard Evore's detailed plans, she protested, "But why do we have to leave? And why are Sivin and Khalina staying here? I don't understand. What does going to this Amarah's Castle has to do with Asen and me?"
     Naturally, and Evore expected such, Danielle not wanting to leave behind her newfound family. Poor woman still didn't know the seriousness of the present situation, and she still has yet to learn of her true identity.
     Even Prince Asen wondered why it was he and Dani going to the castle ruins and not Lord Cadmore. Evore explained that Jereif Cadmore will remain in Tyq for a short time then head for Rumil to help secure the city and ensure Chenek's safety.

     "These are uncertain times," the fairy princess explained to Asen. "Your father suspects the Benutian resistance is responsible for your kidnapping."
     "But," protested Asen vehemently, "I was not kidnapped! I left on my own accord. Surely Father should realize that by now!"
     "Asen," said Moopie, "we have proof your intended bride and Governor Banes have misled your father. Our spies tell us of this pact Banes and Jolende have made to discredit your loyalty to the Crown. Jolende stated to Vlaric that she witnessed you take out that shell. That you obviously escaped to be with the resistance, and that makes you an enemy of the state."
     Asen, still not quite clear on the fine details of his intended bride's – not to mention his own father's – betrayal, fairly pieced it together. So, Jolende lied to Father about my 'disappearance'. She saw nothing! She spent the entire afternoon flirting with Banes and nearly every man within ten feet of the royal tent. Then again, perhaps, without Asen knowing, she did see him take out that shell. Jolende, in efforts to get in good further with King Vlaric, may have told His Majesty that Asen simply staged his own kidnapping, that he willing joined the resistance thus is guilty of committing treason.

     He said to Evore, "Do what you must. I will agree to go with Danielle."
     To Cadmore, he said, "Jerry, I didn't mean to get you mixed up in all this. Please, go to Rumil as Father's army will certainly besiege the city. Chenek is a good man, and I hate to think what Father would do to him. Keep him safe, Jerry. Keep all of them safe."
     Jereif Cadmore, glancing momentarily at Dani, replied, "Say no more, Asen. My friend, I have a feeling all of our peoples' suffering shall come to an end. But it will not be without a fight, this is a given knowing your father's drive to wipe out an entire province."
     Asen and Cadmore embraced, with the latter's eyes still on Dani. She didn't know what to make of Jerry Cadmore; she hardly knew the man, and it still didn't click as to why he told her to hang onto that crystal key.

     The key! She had to ask Evore about it, so she did. Taking it out of her dress pocket, she asked, "Evore, what is this? During the parade, it fell right into my hands. I thought someone lost it, but Jereif said it was special and I was to guard it with my life."
     Evore and Moopie nodded, the former saying, "You will know the key's usefulness once you reach Nemir. Jalen, the Keeper of Secrets, will reveal much to you. All I am at liberty to say is the key unlocks a special chest once kept by Queen Indria, consort to Thomas I."
     Then, smiling, added, "I know you have myriad questions concerning your origins. That, too, will be revealed by Jalen. Now, you and Asen make haste while darkness still enshrouds the city. Take Warith's sister Onu. She is swift yet silent and has the gift of invisibility. She will take you as far as Amarah's Castle. From there, you will be met by the dwarf Basileric. He will guide you through the Nemirian Forest to Mount Soraring. That is where you will find Jalen. There will all your questions be answered. Now, go. The future of our peoples rests in your hands."

[Go to Chapter 13]

Copyright©2006 by P.R. Parker. All rights reserved.


CWW Home
Contact Author/Webmistress