Amanda Hardy, Your Past Life Calls


Chapter 4

Several days passed since Amanda's first session with Vi. In that time, she busied herself with rehearsals, recording sessions, the TV and radio appearances, and the general wear-and-tear in the life of a classical musician. She never told Kevin about the past life regression, that she could have lived before as a dinosaur. Kevin wouldn't believe her anyway, saying that Vi Mingledorff was a fraud who'd tell Amanda anything to make a quick profit. So Amanda just went on with her life of work, work, work. Kevin never had the decency of letting her rest longer; there were so many engagements and committments to attend to.

Humph!, thought Amanda, all Kevin wants is the glory of being my personal manager. He has become more and more impossible to live with, and I'm afraid that those visions I've been having – a maiasaurus fending off predators – are portents of things to come. I really must get on with my life, do things I want to do and not be Kevin's puppet.

So, in between rehearsing and performing, Amanda busied herself writing her own musical. She would, of course, inform Vi of just that during her next session. And Amanda knew, if she wanted this show to be credible, she would have to do some serious research on life during the Cretaceous Period. She would also need to select what compositions (by the old masters) that would be suitable. So much to do in so little time, but help would come in so many wonderful forms. One such helper would be Amanda's longtime vocal coach. The other a renown paleontologist who Amanda knew since high school. Then there would be a stranger who just happened to get his "ear tweaked" concerning Amanda's secret project.

°°°°°°

During her second session with Vi, Amanda revealed her future, if secret, plans. Naturally Vi was overjoyed, but cautious in that Amanda could run into the proverbial brick wall. Said wall has to be Kevin.

"He is the one who's holding you back, Amanda," said Vi, who on this day wore a stunning dress of purple leather. The dress was quite long but fit Vi's curvy body rather snugly. Her hair was piled high in intricate, cascading waves and curls. As always, this woman's sense of style totally blew Amanda away. She assessed her own all-black casual attire of a simple wool dress, boots, and leather jacket. Not quite the stunning fashion plate as Vi but still pleasing to the eye.

As during the first session, Vi Mingledorff, ever the gracious hostess, served a mid-morning repast of Darjeeling tea, fresh fruit, and hot scones with jam. Pouring the tea, Vi asked, "How did you fare since our last session?"

Amanda, gratefully accepting the morning refreshment, replied, "I think that session sort of empowered me. I told you about Cassie's suggestion that I write my own musical, sort of based on my Cretaceous visions. Kevin doesn't know this; I've never told him yet."
"And you won't," said Vi with some finalty. "You know, Amanda, sometimes the people who say they love us only live to use us in the most despicable ways. Tell me, and be completely honest with me. Kevin has nixed so many auditions that would've catapulted you to lasting stardom. Now if he is, as you've said, being your 'meal ticket', wouldn't thwarting your future success also jeopardize his?"

Amanda never thought of it like that. She trusted Kevin's judgment on all aspects of her career. Come to think of it, that last audition, the title role in that Jane Eyre musical drama, was a success. But, according to Kevin, the show got canned due to lack of investors. But is what Kevin said the truth? And if he indeed was using HER career as a stepping stone for HIS success, then why short-circuit her chance at lasting stardom. True, she was a success, but only in the classical music world and not even a major star. There was so much more she wanted yet Kevin kept throwing stones in the path.

This she told Vi who decided then and there to put Amanda under hypnosis again. This time, Amanda would have to face down her inner demon, even it did take the form of a Mesozoic predator.

As always, Vi put on the soothing New Age music, dimmed the lights, and began the altered state of consciousness ritual. Amanda, lying back on the comfortable leather chaise lounge, began the counting backwards from 100. Before she reached 90, she was in a deep hypnotic trance. With Vi's soothing voice as guide, Amanda again conjured that lovely Cretaceous scene: the verdant valley ringed by imposing majestic mountains, the sparkling lake, and the distant, deep tropical forest. The forest, as Amanda again asserted, is off-limits for the plant eaters. Too many predators lurk in that forest, waiting for a stray herd member to wander into forbidden territory.

"You said the forest is forbidden. Amanda, tell what you see and hear. Try to be as detailed as possible."
Her eyes closed, her breathing slowing to a steady rhythm, Amanda began to describe the scene. It almost matched, movement for movement, the flash she had just a few days ago.
"I see myself, the maiasaurus, caring for the hatchlings," she said. Smiling, she added, "They are a joy, these little ones, but they are getting at that age where they begin to explore the world around them. We try to keep them as close to the herd as possible lest they fall prey to predators."
Then, frowning, her face skewed in half-fright, half-concern, Amanda continued, "I didn't see the one darting out from the herd. She was too fast for us to catch in time. We think we saw her run into the forest. You see, she saw a little flyer soaring past and she began chasing it."

Amanda could see it plainly: the young dinosaur, entranced by the flyer, wandering off into the forest. The flyer landed on what was thought a dead tree, but no, it was the massive neck of a spinosaurus. Not knowing this right away, the young maiasaurus continued to frolic about in the wood, jumping up and down in efforts to catch the flyer. The continuous noise and movement she made was enough to attract the predator's attention.

The little one, alarmed by the beast's growling, let out a frightful cry, alerting the rest of the herd. She tried to scamper out the wood but wasn't fast enough. The mother, just a few feet from the edge of the forest heard the roar, then followed by an agonizing wail. It's got her, the predator got the baby.

Amanda's tears flowed freely as she described the scene. Nothing she had ever experienced before could be so brutal, and she lamented along with her previous lifeform.
"She cries so, the mother," said a sobbing Amanda, "and she is fearful the predator will strike again, which is true."
She went on to describe how the spinosaurus crashed through the trees, out into the open meadow. The peaceful, plant-eating animals instantly fled in fear of their lives. So many were not so fortunate, which included the maiasaurus' children – save one. It was a bloodbath unparalleled as not one, but FIVE spinosaurs thundered into the valley, easily picking off the slow and young. An iguanodon here, a styracosaur there. A few mothers, valiantly shielding their nests, gave up the fight and fled with the others.

Vi, jotting down notes, tried herself to hold back tears. What Amanda described was so vivid, as if Vi was there to witness the slaughter. Ah, such as life is in the natural world. It is predator versus prey, the weak against the strong, the old and infirm versus the young and agile.

Not wanting to continue this session, as Amanda became quite agitated from recalling a 65 million year old nightmare, Vi gradually brought Amanda out of hypnosis. It would still take many days, weeks even, to sort it all out. But Vi could safely bet that Amanda's visions could be profound warnings that all was not quite right. Could the baby dinos represent Amanda's unfulfilled dreams and hopes for the future? And could the spinosaurus, who mercilessly slaughtered the young and weak, respresent Kevin's efforts to thrawt Amanda's future success? It would take another session before all answers would be revealed.

°°°°°°

What Vi suggested made some sense, at least the hints that those visions could be signs that Kevin was the source of all recent troubles. Amanda wondered, especially since Vi suggested that the mother maiasaurus represented Amanda and the little ones represented her future. The moment Amanda witnessed, in her hyponotic state, the spinosaur attack and devour the babies, it had to be Kevin devouring her hopes and dreams. It all began to make sense of sorts, and Amanda felt, that in order to salvage her career, she had to distance herself from Kevin.

Not that Amanda worried about her already established success as a classical musician, she wanted more. To be sure, there were the numerous gold and platinum records, the many awards, a wealth of faithful fans and supporters. But Amanda felt something was missing. She was an accomplished classical, bel canto singer, but there was so much more she could do with her musical talents. Since she nixed a career in grand opera, and her bel canto style didn't quite qualify her for the more "popish" stage musicals, Amanda decided, on Cassie's suggestions, to write her own show.

This, along with the past life visions and sessions with Vi Mingledorff, she told to Mignon Pomarés, her longtime vocal coach. After her session with Vi, Amanda headed for Mignon's studio to give her voice a good workout before hitting the concert stage. Amanda valued Mignon's opinions greatly, and it pleased the coach that Amanda was at last finding some release.

Mignon Pomarés, a slightly plump and handsome lady with raven black hair and big green eyes, had been Amanda's voice instructor since high school. Mignon was a bel canto singer herself, an accomplishing mezzo-soprano who enjoyed brief success in opera, her most famous (and favorite) role was as Carmen.
In her luxuriously comfortable apartment on the Upper West Side overlooking the park, there were numerous testaments to her talent and fame. So many photographs of her in costume, playbills, gold records, and other memorabilia adorned the walls of the music room. In that room a six-foot Steinway grand dominated. On that piano sat more photos of her and her family.
Mignon, a widow, dropped out of the music scene after the birth of her third child. Her reasons were that she could not successfully juggle family responsibilities and the demands of a rigorous professional schedule. So she took and early retirement and opted to teach voice. Amanda was one of her first students, and even at that lady's tender age of fifteen Mignon could tell the girl had a bright future ahead. But that boyfriend of hers!

When Amanda related the visions, the sessions with Vi, how Kevin had nixed so many auditions, and how he kept Amanda working to the point of exhaustion, Mignon had to tell Amanda a few truths.

"Amanda," she said before starting her pupil on the usually rigorous vocal aerobics, "what did I say to you, when you agreed to take on Kevin as your manager?"
Amanda, trying not to look embarrassed, replied, "Mignon, you said that having someone too close to me personally could backfire."
"And," said Mignon, "you see what has transpired. Not that you haven't reached your success, but there is more you want, and I'm afraid Kevin is using you for ulterior motives."
Mignon took a deep breath and continued. "My dear, what you've told me, about these visions, especially coupled with the great masters' music, and that they may be a sign of things to come. Let me tell you this: You must fire Kevin Williams as your manager and find a person who is not personally connected to you. Kevin, at this point, is only looking out for himself; your welfare is not high on his 'to do' list."

Now Amanda became quite alarmed. Oh wow, this is exactly what Vi told me, and if I don't do something now, Kevin will ride roughshod over my career. She said to Mignon, "I suppose I could do that, but Mignon, I'm afraid of his reaction. What if he––"
"What if he reacts violently? Amanda, take a long hard look at the past few years. How many stage productions did you miss out on? How many auditions, invitations to star in Broadway theatrical shows, and collabrative efforts did Kevin nix? Think about it, my dear. What you see in those visions may be Kevin eating your career alive before it sees full fruition. Now, let me fill you in on a secret Mr. Williams has yet to reveal to you."

Amanda Hardy listened with rapt attention as Mignon laid it all out. "You know that Jane Eyre musical drama? The one in which you nearly clinched the title role?" Amanda nodded.
"Well," continued Mignon, "the word is that the show is a go, but with different performers. The show will start out in Chicago then, hopefully, make its way to Broadway. I've heard from a reliable source that the show DID have serious investors, but you were told differently."

Now Amanda was beginning to see red. What was this Mignon was telling her? Was it all true? The show WAS in production, yet Kevin told her otherwise. Why? Mignon further explained, much to Amanda's indignation.
"Amanda, when you lost out on that role, I started asking questions. When I learned that the show's chief investor was Brian Dale––"
"Brian Dale? As in Dale Industries?"
Mignon nodded, "The same. Mr. Dale, as the story goes, wanted YOU to star in the show. This was the sole condition if he was to fund the production. Mr. Dale was to be the show's prime investor. But when word got back to him that you weren't interested, then he promptly withdrew his support."

Amanda was flabbergasted! How dare Kevin lie to her like this, and for what? Why would he tell her one thing then turn around and tell Brian Dale she wasn't 'interested' in the lead role? She had to get answers, but for now, all Amanda wanted to do was to begin writing that show. She would have to look up Carson Grant, her paleontologist friend for technical advice, then she needed investors. Upon learning that the very wealthy and powerful Brian Dale actually wanted her to star in that Jane Eyre show, Amanda wondered if he would be interested in backing HER show. But first things first. It didn't take long to make up her mind concerning Kevin.

"Mignon, after I'm finished here, I'm cancelling all my engagements. I'll claim exhaustion, illness, anything. Then I'm giving Kevin the boot. Damn him for lying to me!"

Amanda then decided, after meeting with Carson, to call on Brian Dale no matter how busy the man was. Once he sees her proposal, he'll jump at the chance to back what could be one of Broadway's most unusual and outstanding productions of the season.

To be continued...Go to chapter 5

Copyright©2004 by P.R. Parker. All rights reserved.


CWW Home
CWW Fiction Files
Passion Magic Fiction Files (for mature audiences only!)
Email @ MSNTV