Amanda Hardy, Your Past Life Calls


Chapter 5

Hurrying away and looking directly at no one, Amanda quickly sprinted up the many flights of stairs to the office of Carson Grant, a noted paleontologist and one of Amanda's longtime friends. They had known each other since college – Carson had taught Geology 101 while in graduate school; Amanda was one of her students. The two ladies, although their life's paths would take them in entirely different directions, became quick friends, both sharing an intensive love for dinosaurs. Of course, Carson's penchant for the extinct reptiles would carry her into her chosen profession, first putting in her time on various digs then securing an associate professorship at NYU.
Amanda's curiosity of dinosaurs would soon catapult her into the world of past lives, culminating with learning the most shocking revelations. Amanda could not imagine Kevin doing such a thing, but the facts were all there. By way of Mignon, Amanda learned that the Jane Eyre project was a go, but not in the way the producers had hoped. The show's chief investor had personally wanted Amanda Hardy in the starring role, but that man was told she wasn't interesting even after she performed a soul-stirring audition. And who told them she "wasn't interested"? Kevin! Then he told her the producers had to fold the show – there just wasn't enough sponsors.

Well, the truth unfolded itself, and Amanda learned that Brian Dale, fabulously wealthy and powerful CEO of Dale Industries, Inc., promptly withdrew his support once he heard that Amanda "wasn't interested."
OK, so Kevin lied to her. She'll have a word or two with him later, but for now all her energies and concentrated on her own show based on those disturbing Cretaceous visions. So much to do, and Amanda didn't know where to begin, so she called Carson for a consultation and, hopefully, get some expert input. If she wanted this show to be credible, then she needed that expert touch. Besides, already Amanda had talked with Mignon, asking her vocal coach for help from the musical community.
"You know, Mignon," she said, "You can tweak some ears, get them interested. If this thing is to get off the ground, I'll need everyone backing me, whether Kevin likes it or not."

Then there was Kevin. Since her eye and ear opening session with Vi and Mignon, Amanda promptly cancelled all engagements and committments, even the benefit concert. Naturally Kevin was outraged at Amanda's rash decision, warning her that she may never again get such plum performance gigs. But Amanda was adamant, claiming acute exhaustion. It was doctor's orders.
"My voice, Kevin," she pleaded vehemently, "My bread and butter. He said if I don't take a few more weeks off – months even – I may irreparably damage my voice. I'm just too pooped to sing, Kevin. After all, I have a nice amount saved up to live off of for a few months. So you don't have to worry about rent or groceries. We'll be fine. Just let me get some rest."

So Kevin ended up pouting and sulking. At this point Amanda really didn't care, but she wanted to get to the bottom of why Kevin lied to her in the first place. However, being that she wanted to get her show researched and written, and that there was still the matter of garnering those all important "angels", Amanda threw herself into her special, secret project. She didn't have the heart to tell Kevin and really never gave it much thought. All she wanted was something that she could call her own. Something that just may be the challenge she needed.

In the cramped, cluttered office of Carson Grant, Amanda sat and waited for her friend. Carson was presently in class then had a meeting with her cousin, a world-renown paleontologist who invited Carson on a new dig in Montana. As Amanda waited, she looked around Carson's office, admiring with wonderment the myriad specimens, maps, charts, and artists' renditions of long-extinct animals. One poster, a large work dominating the north wall, caught Amanda's eye. That was it! The scene depicted, a slice of life during the Cretaceous, nearly mirrored that of her visions, right down to the dense rain forest and towering mountains.

How uncanny! Even the creatures depicted – a maiasaurus lovingly watching over her new hatchlings, a herd of parasaurlophus grazing by the lake, and the threat of a distant spinosaurus which lurked in the dense forest. Amanda stared at this image for several moments, carefully placing each and every animal, plant, rock...

This is weird...

Carson Grant was heard just outside the door conferring with a student. She is certainly a busy lady, Amanda thought – teaching, publishing books and papers, TV appearances, going on digs. At least SHE has full command over her career with no bossy boyfriend calling the shots. Finally, her friend entered the office, a lovely dark-haired beauty in her early thirties.

"Amanda," Carson greeted her friend with a sisterly hug and kiss. "When you called and told me about this project, I...Well, let's say I'm completely flattered you asked me to help."
Amanda smiled, saying, "I know it sounded like a weird request, but I'm getting it together. Already I have in mind what music I want, and of course I'll write some songs of my own. But I need some expert input...Wait, let me back up."

Amanda then went on to explain to Carson just what had been happening to her the past few weeks. She recounted the odd dreams, the visions during performances, the coupling of the great masters' music with Cretaceous scenes. Then she related how, via Vi Mingledorff, she was able to unlock partially those visions of an obvious past life. Finally, Amanda told Carson about her troubles with Kevin, and how he was instrumental in short-circuiting her future success. She revealed the Jane Eyre audition, and how Kevin lied to her and told the show's producers she wasn't interested in the lead role.

"Which is why I'm firing Kevin not only as my manager, but as my life partner. Honestly, Carson, the things he's put me through, and all along I thought it was because he loved me. He's just using me, so I'm doing my own thing, calling the shots in my career and life, and I really don't give two damns what Kevin will think."
With what Amanda revealed was quite a bit for Carson to digest at once. Imagine, her friend experiencing a supposed past life not as an ancient mystic or medieval warrior, but as a dinosaur. How can that be?, Carson mused. Past lives for humans never involve animals, and there is no such thing as animals reincarnated as humans. But there is that rare chance...
And Kevin...No wonder I never liked him from the beginning. He was a jerk in grad school and he's even a bigger one now. But why would he mess up stuff for Amanda when it'll backfire on HIS livelihood. Unless he's got something up his sleeve, a hidden agenda that would ultimately leave Amanda out in the cold.

"Honey," said Carson after listening to her friend spill her guts, "I'll help you out any way I can, as far as technical advice. But, please, let me help you as a friend. I really think...No, let ME back up some..."

Carson went on to tell Amanda a few truths about Kevin Williams the grad student. The young man was an opportunist looking out for an easy way into fame and fortune. "And he got you, Amanda."
It seemed too far-fetched for Amanda to believe, but when she thought about it, it partially made sense. I mean, Kevin, upon earning his MBA, had his pick of any job, any career, even had lucrative offers from so many corporations. I wonder if...No, it can't be, but if Dale Industries offered him a position, and he didn't take it because...

Is there some animosity between Brian Dale and Kevin? Both are about the same age, and Brian does belong to the same fraternity as Kevin. But Brian went on to head his dad's company, even offered Kevin a place, but Kevin refused. Why? Does this have anything to do with his lie that I was "not interested" in that Jane Eyre musical? Why would he tell Brian Dale such a lie when the man personally wanted ME to star in the show? It doesn't add up. Oh well...I'm doing my own thing. Just let me finish up with Carson, then it's home to confront Kevin.

°°°°°°

Amanda emerged from NYU armed with stacks of "user friendly" resources on everything Cretaceous. Carson was generous enough to offer her expert advice on making the show credible – That is, if Amanda was to have a dinosaurian perspective as backdrop then it would have to be believable as far as the scientific community was concerned. Amanda, ever so grateful for Carson's help, promised a prominent, printed acknowledgment in the show's playbill.

Lugging the tote bag laden with goodies, Amanda decided to call on Cassie and tell her the latest developments. She also hadn't taken time for a proper lunch, so she wanted to stop at the deli to pick up a couple of sandwiches. My treat, she thought, as "thanks" for such excellent advice and support. Without Cassie's suggestion, then I wouldn't have the courage to begin this project. I also need more musical input...Wonder if Mignon could suggest a few compositions that would be suitable. And I REALLY need some investors. Might as well put the feelers out, type up a short summary plus a few selected tunes that may be in the finished show...

Just then, as Amanda entered the deli, her cell phone rang. It was a number not familar to her. Shrugging, she answered, not recognizing the voice on the other end.
"Hello?"
"Ms. Hardy? Amanda Hardy?"
"Yes."
"This is Darlene Maddox, of Dale Industries, and Mr. Dale's administrative assistant."

Amanda's eyes lit up; her heart began to beat furiously, the palms beginning to perspire. She felt her stomach tying in knots as the woman continued. "Ms. Hardy, Mr. Dale has heard of your project and he's very interested. Would you be so kind to join Mr. Dale for dinner tonight? He will send a car for you around seven."
"But, I don't know if I can–"
"I'll warn you upfront. Mr. Dale will not take 'No' for an answer, Ms. Hardy. So you will accept and be ready around seven tonight?"

Amanda thought it over. Why not? Brian Dale has heard, obviously from Mignon or one of her music industry friends, about my project, and he seems interested. After all, he did want me to star in that Eyre show, but Kevin...Ooh! Screw Kevin! This is my big chance and I won't let Kevin Williams blow it for me!

"Ms. Maddox," said Amanda with renewed conviction, "tell Mr. Dale I will accept his invitation. Should I bring anything? A proposal? A few samples of songs I'd like to use?"
"That would be great, Amanda. And let me say that I think you have a most interesting project going. It just may be the hit of the season, and already Mr. Dale feels it is Tony worthy."

°°°°°°

So Amanda had to skip her lunch with Cassie. Instead, she immediately returned home and was relieved Kevin wasn't there. Thank God for that! Once he sees I can take charge of my own life, my own career, he will leave me alone. Maybe firing him as my manager will be the best thing I've ever done. Maybe I can fire him as my fiance, too. Kevin has been an unnecessary thorn in my side for far too long.

She took her time choosing the proper dress, makeup, and hairstyle. If Brian Dale is as stylish and sophisticated as he is wealthy, then Amanda would have the make the best physical impression possible. But it isn't my looks he's interested in, it's my music – or could he be interested...No, it can't be.

All afternoon, Amanda took care in writing up a brief summary of the musical, using her sessions with Vi as springboard. She made sure to include those scientific notes supplied by Carson, and she even recorded a few songs written by her own hand. The rest of the afternoon was spent preparing herself for a gala evening. She wondered where dinner would be. A classy, extremely expensive restaurant? Maybe Brian opened his home to her, a spacious, well-appointed penthouse on the Upper East Side. Amanda remembered reading about it in last month's Town & Country, complete with photos of Brian showing off his extensive collection of Impressionist paintings.

As the appointed hour neared, Amanda inspected her appearance in the mirror. Reflected back was a woman of incomparable beauty. On this night, Amanda wore a smart retro dinner suit of black velvet. The jacket sported tiny pearl buttons and a stylish peplum that echoed the 1940's. Her hair was upswept in a French twist accented with a simple pearl ornament. On her feet were black velvet pumps totally devoid of any decoration. Just keep it simple but elegant, was what her mother always said. Simple, smart New York black, right down to the tiny black velvet evening bag. Amanda made sure the outfit wasn't garish or too trendy; such wasn't her style anyway.

As seven o'clock quickly approached, Amanda glanced out the window to see the jet black stretch limo waiting. Right on time...That Brian Dale doesn't fool around. After spritzing on a light fragrance and checking her elegant black leather briefcase to see if she had all she needed, Amanda exited her apartment then walked the corridor to the elevator. Her heart beat fast, her stomach doing nervous flipflops, Amanda tried to calm herself. She had met and hobnobbed with wealthy music lovers before, but this dinner meeting with Brian really set her on edge. Taking several deep breaths, Amanda endured the long elevator ride to the first floor. Once out, she quickly made her way through the lobby, only to collide with Kevin at the door. Judging from the look on his face, the man was not too pleased.

"Going somewhere, Amanda?," he asked thornily. He had suspected his fiancée was up to something these past days; that excuse that she was "sick" didn't cut it. He had the sense to corner her doctor, demanding an update on Amanda's condition. No sickness, the doctor said, just exhaustion. So there was no need to cancel every engagement, even that benefit concert of which Kevin bent over backwards to book. She lied to him, and it irked him.

"I have a business meeting, Kevin. We'll talk when I return." She tried to get by him but he continued to block her way. "Let me pass, Kevin. The car is waiting for me."
Kevin rolled his eyes, saying with a menacing edge, "Oh, so that explains the big fancy limo. Tell me, Amanda, and I want the truth."

Amanda began to see red. How dare him accuse me of lying to him when he's done the same for countless years.
"You should talk, Kevin. You've had experience in lying to ME! Now, let me pass!"
He stood in front of her, blocking her path. "You're not going anywhere, not until we talk."

At that moment, the chauffeur appeared at the door. Not the typical elderly gentleman Amanda was used to, but a tall, handsome, strapping Latino youth. He smiled at Amanda, saying, "Ms. Hardy, I am Enrique, Mr. Dale's chauffeur and bodyguard. May I be of assistance?"
Upon seeing Enrique and assessing the young man's powerful physique, Kevin stepped aside, eyeing Amanda with contempt. "So, you're having dinner with...HIM?!"
"So what if I am," came the flippant response before she let Enrique escort her to the car. Kevin just stood at the door, watching his fiancée being whisked off to places unknown. He seethed that once again, Brian Dale had gotten the best of him. After the limo left, Kevin didn't return to the apartment. Instead, he made a hasty phone call, a call that he had hoped would short-circuit Amanda's sudden partnership with the powerful Brian Dale.

To be continued...Go to Chapter 6

Copyright©2004 by P.R. Parker. All rights reserved.


CWW Home
CWW Fiction Files
Passion Magic Fiction Files (for mature audiences only!)
Email @ MSNTV
Email @ Yahoo