Amanda Hardy, Your Past Life Calls

Chapter II

What a trying tour! Once Amanda ended her tour and returned home, all she wanted to do was sleep. But the much needed rest never came so easily as she suffered the same dreams that plagued her for nearly three weeks. Only this time, the forms that were so fuzzy and shapeless in the previous visions began to take shape, and what Amanda saw were so unsettling. It was that way when she, during the reception following her last performance, spoke with a music patron. That woman, Vi, stared at Amanda with an almost peculiar curiosity. That encounter brought those visions to the surface again, unsettling and spooking Amanda so that she felt compelled to share it with Kevin.

"OK, Amanda," he said as they sat at the breakfast table, "so you've had some bad dreams. Who doesn't? I say it's all due to stress. Get your rest, and don't forget you're performing for the 'Heart to Heart' benefit concert next month..."

He went on and on about Amanda's upcoming recitals, recording sessions, personal appearances on this and that talk show. It was more than she could stand. Here she was wrestling with unknown, profoundly frightening visions, and Kevin just brushes it all off as sheer nonsense. All right, she thought, so it might be nonsense, nothing to get myself worked up over, but those shapes are becoming more defined. I'm really getting scared, too scared to sleep. She looked at Kevin, wondering whatever happened to the sweet boy she knew since college.
Amanda met Kevin Williams when she was a mere freshman struggling with the required general education courses. Kevin was a graduate student who worked as a part-time tutor, and he offered to help Amanda with freshman algebra. Naturally, she explained, as a musician she should know the math part of music but paid more attention to music as pure art. He was quite handsome in a quirky sense. Not quite six feet tall, of average build, and blessed with blond good looks and blue eyes, Kevin found himself attracted to the budding singing sensation. He was a business major, so it stood to reason that he would end up as her manager and agent. They hit it off almost at once and saw each other almost exclusively during their entire academic careers. But upon graduation, and when real world duty called, Kevin became more the number-crunching businessman and less the charming romantic.
Although they had agreed to marry the coming fall, Amanda began to have second thoughts. She still loved Kevin heart and soul, but there was that voice within telling her she could be making a big mistake. Nonetheless, she accepted Kevin's marriage proposal halfway during the previous tour.

 "Kevin," she said, mindlessly stirring the remains of milk in her cereal bowl, "I really need to get professional help. You know, a therapist to help me get to the bottom of all this stress."  She dared not to mention the visions or dreams ever again. If she did, Kevin would tell her it's nonsense, get over it, and rest up so she can work again. He doesn't care, she said to herself, and I really think he just wants me as a meal ticket. Kevin, armed with his MBA, could've had his pick of any job, any high-paying, high-powered career. But no! He saw I had the potential to become a major star, so he decided to be my manager, rake in his twenty...no...thirty percent of everything I make. I should be on the Broadway stage now, in that Jane Eyre musical, but he said the show got called off because it didn't have enough investors. Sometimes I wonder if he just said that so...

"Amanda," said Kevin, interrupting her chain of thought, "that's a great idea. Why don't I set the appointment..."
"No, I want to do this myself."  And with that, she rose from the table and walked out of the room.

****

She didn't want to do that, but she had no choice. Honestly, Kevin is becoming more impossible everyday. They said nothing to each other as Amanda dressed for the day then made a luncheon date with Cassie Flynn, her best friend from high school. Cassie was now an up and coming plus-size fashion designer whose fall line was a smash hit. Although she was busy with getting her fall line ready for the upcoming shows, Cassie always had time for her best buddy. They met at Sardi's, the famed Broadway eatery in the heart of the theater district.

Cassie, a tall, robust blonde with big green eyes and a smile to warm the coldest hearts, listened as Amanda related all that happened during the tour. "You mean," said Cassie between bites of club sandwich, "you think you had visions of a past life?"
"What else can it be?," replied Amanda, neatly cutting her spinach cannelloni, her favorite dish at Sardi's. "The whole thing started as dreams, but lately, when I sing, especially certain songs, I have full visions. I keep seeing a lake, a meadow, trees, but the people are so fuzzy..."
"Sounds like you're having a past life experience all right. Let's see..."

Cassie pondered all Amanda told her, trying to come up with a plausible explanation. "If it's not a past life vision, then it could be simply what they call remote viewing."
"Remote...?"
"Remote viewing. It's sort of like clairvoyance, ESP, the sensing of things past, present, and future. I think you're seeing things that happened long ago, or are about to happen."
"But, Cass," said Amanda, not really wanting to tell Cassie the latest, but she had to. "I'm starting to see the people take shape, but the forms...they frighten me."

Cassie wondered if Amanda's visions could have anything to do with the relationship with Kevin. Oh yes, Amanda, in the middle of her tour, phoned Cassie to tell her the good news that she and Kevin were engaged. Not good, thought Cass, who really never liked Kevin Williams just because the man was all business and no play. Then, over dessert, Cassie suggested that Amanda get in touch with a parapsychologist who specializes in psychic phenomena.

"Call it a hunch, but I think your problems have nothing to do with stress. I really think you're experiencing something, but I can't put my finger on it." She then gave Amanda a card. "Here," she said, "I got this at a psychic fair. The woman is good, better than good."
Amanda read the card, then almost choked on her coconut sorbet. "Vi Mingledorff...She's the lady I spoke to back in Chicago, at the reception after my last recital."
Now Cassie was quite intrigued. She asked, "Did you tell her about your visions?"
"No," answered Amanda, "we only met that one time, and all the talk centered around music. But when she grasped my hand, the visions came back right then and there, and those shapes..."

*****

Kevin was more than annoyed that Amanda had not sought more competent, mainstream therapists. He had reservations about this Mingledorff woman, a parapsychologist who was world renown for her work in the fields of psychism and past life regression. To him, such people were, at best, charlatans and frauds. Why would a level-headed woman like Amanda allow herself to fall victim to a New Age practitioner?

"This is inexcusable, Amanda!," he told her. "She's not a real therapist, she's a quack!"
"No, Kevin, she's the best in her field."

Both were getting pretty exasperated, and Amanda could tell Kevin was not going to back down. But she did have one trump card to play.

"Damn it, Kevin," she said, "if you love me, you'll let me do this MY way! And it's not as if I can't pay for the therapy myself!"  Kevin, somewhat taken aback, relented a bit. Taking her in his arms, he said, "OK, go see this Mingledorff woman, if that's what you want." He kissed her then added, "But if she can't solve whatever's been bugging you, find another, more competent therapist."
Amanda merely nodded, knowing that Kevin was really thinking about how the many therapy sessions could put a dent in the concert and recording schedule. All he thinks about is making money, as if I was his meal ticket. I really need to get to the bottom of these visions, and Vi seems the only person who can help me.

"Kevin, I know Vi will unlock those visions and dreams. But I'm scared to discover that what I've been seeing is a sign that I've had a past life. That or maybe I'm having bad vibes about the future..."

******

The office of Vi Mingledorff, located in a huge townhouse on the Upper West Side, was not what Amanda had expected. She thought Vi's office would be one of those usually sterile environments with the obligatory couch, desk, and diploma on the wall. No, this was more like home. When Amanda arrived, she was greeted by the housekeeper, a kindly elderly woman with large green eyes and tightly pulled back gray hair. The woman, Miss Meade, greeted Amanda then led her upstairs to the office.

"Dr. Mingledorff will be with you shortly," she said. "Can I get you some tea, or coffee, perhaps?"
"Tea would be very nice," replied Amanda as she smoothed her long black leather skirt to sit. In an instant, Miss Meade departed, leaving Amanda alone for a while.

Amanda, waiting for Vi, looked around the office, taking in every detail. It was a warm, comforting place with its decidedly colorful decor, overstuffed couches and chairs, paintings on the walls, and many houseplants. On Vi's desk were many crystals, amulets, talismans. The bookcases were filled with tomes on various parapsychology topics. And in the far corner by the window, a huge crystal orb, was firmly perched on an ornately carved oak stand. Now Amanda did wonder if she did the right thing. From seeing that this is indeed the room of a person so into New Age, the paranormal, and psychism, Amanda began to believe that Kevin may have been right. Yes, Vi may be a phony after all, but why do I keep thinking that she will be the key to unlock the mysteries dwelling within me.

The door opened. Miss Meade came in, followed by two other maids, all bearing trays laden with all things wonderfully delicious. The dainty porcelain teacups and matching plates, the silver pot surely attested to Vi's wealth and social graciousness. As the maids laid out the teatime treats of plum cake, hot scones, jam, and dainty smoked salmon sandwiches, Amanda began to feel more at ease. Miss Meade smiled at Amanda, saying, "Dr. Mingledorrf is on her way." Then she and the maids turned to exit the room, but not before Vi finally entered. She politely dismissed the servants then sat at the tea table, across from Amanda.

"Do you take lemon or milk?," she asked.
"Lemon, please."
"Scone?" "Oh yes, thank you."

Vi Mingledorff handed Amanda a cup of steaming Earl Grey then a plate of sandwiches and scones. Amanda couldn't get over how pretty Vi was. Here was a woman in her late fifties, tall, buxom, with raven black hair, penetrating jade green eyes, beautifully formed hands adored with so many gemstone rings. Amanda was, once again, impressed with this woman's appearance, only this time she could savor Vi's beauty more closely. Back in Chicago during the post-recital reception, when she met Vi the first time, Amanda, lost in another frightening vision, simply could not concentrate. Vi, dressed in a flowing caftan of purple silk accented with golden lurex thread running throughout, quietly assessed Amanda.

She said at last, "So you are experiencing visions of a past life. I want you to tell me exactly what you see, and what seems to trigger these visions." Amanda went on to explain that, when she sings a particular song, or listens to a certain piece, the visions come on strong. She told Vi about the last recital, and how, during her performance, she could see in her mind's eye the very scenery.

"I see meadows, a lake, a dense forest in the distance, mountains. But I don't see people, that is until that night I met you..."
"Ah, so as I gathered. Tell me, Amanda, when you and I spoke to each other then, what did you see deep within that caused you to freeze up in mid-conversation?"  Amanda didn't know her panic showed that much. At the time, when the vision's mysterious shapes began to take form, Amanda trembled but remained calm enough so Vi would not notice.
This she explained to Vi who nodded her head, saying, "We all have the power to unlock our past lives. But in your case, you are seeing the physical world but as yet no people."
"But, in recent days, I've been seeing people, but they don't look like people."

Now Vi, sipping her tea, pondered ways for Amanda to put faces on her visions and dreams. "Let me, Amanda," she said finally, "put you under hypnosis. Once in an altered state of consciousness, you'll be able to describe to me, in detail, exactly what you see and hear. If these people you see aren't human, then this may not be a past life experience. You could be experiencing events of the distant past or future."

Then, "Are you seeing someone? A boyfriend?"
Amanda was amazed but replied, "Yes, I am in a relationship. We are to be married this fall."
"And you are having doubts."
"Yes!," said an astounded Amanda. How did Vi know? I've told no one other than Cassie, but... Wonder if Cass told Vi about my problems with Kevin.

"No, Amanda," said Vi with a smile, "Cassie didn't say a thing to me about your relationship problems." Amanda smiled, finished her tea, then listened to Vi's instructions. "I will darken the room a bit," Vi said as she drew curtains and dimmed lights, "then if you will lie back on the couch..."

Amanda did as instructed as Vi gathered some items: several crystals, a notepad, and a cassette recorder. Vi then put on some ambient music so Amanda could relax and clear her mind. She sat in a chair next to the couch then said, "I want you to clear your mind of any old thoughts, relax. I want you to pay attention to your breathing, how your body goes limp as you hear the music...."

Amanda, losing herself in the electronic strains of tender melodies augmented by sounds of nature, gradually found herself relaxing, listening intently as Vi spoke in a soothing voice.

"Amanda, I want you to count backwards from 100..."
"100, 99, 98, 97..."

Before she reached 80, Amanda was fully under hypnosis, her mind clear of all negative and dark thoughts. "Now," said Vi, "I want you to go to that place with the meadow, forest, lake. Don't think of what you will say. Just tell me what you see..."
"I see the lake...it's clear and cool...And I see the meadow...That's where I am...In the deep forest..."

She paused, then almost panicked when the strains of "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana popped into her head. She said in her hypnotic state, "I hear music again, from Carmina Burana...Seems to fit...'O Fortuna'...It is a fateful day...I see, I see...Oh for the love of God...Don't!"

To be continued...Go to Chapter 3

Copyright©2004 by P.R. Parker. All rights reserved.


CWW Home
CWW Fiction Files
Passion Magic Fiction Files (for mature audiences only!)
Email @ MSNTV