Flames of Eldonia


Chapter Eight

     Draped in the Eldonian royal colors of gold and scarlet, the streets of Tyq took on a festive atmosphere. Scores of citizens lined the major thoroughfares, vying for that perfect spot from which to catch a glimpse of the royal family.
     The citizens of Tyq had to share space with other Eldonians from far and wide, and that curious mix of people and creatures was a rare sight. For only on this day do the various denizens get together; they rarely do otherwise. For all the talk of unity, the majority of Eldonians, especially those descended from outsiders (namely the three "founders") regard the regional natives of Nemir and Benut as beneath them culturally, intellectually, and socially. Koror, to the majority, is regarded as a faithful and potent ally, despite the practice of dark magic and notorious sexual impropriety as reflected in the persona of Princess Jolende.

     Along the main thoroughfare that leads from the city gates straight to the Royal Palace and other important official buildings, spectators, waving the ever-present Eldonian flag in each hand, awaited for their King.
     Ah, the Royal Mounted Guard, resplendent in their dress uniforms of a scarlet and gold coat, black gold-striped trousers, and tall black boots, led the procession in wake of the blare of trumpets. Boisterous cheering abounded. Many a person waved and saluted the Guard, handsome young men riding perfectly matched black saddlebreds. Behind the Guard, dozens of children dressed in flowing white robes and colorful garlands, danced and scattered flower petals while the Royal Marching Band played the Eldonian National Anthem. Nearly every person stood at attention and placed hand on heart.
     Note "nearly all" – Since there were several of those from the provinces of Nemir and Benut, there was no solemn homage paid by those people. To them, this day marked the end of their eons-old peace and justice, ushering in almost five centuries of oppression and brutal tyranny. There was no freedom, so why salute a flag that is not theirs, pay homage to a series of rulers who usurped land and wealth, stripped away nearly every vestige of their former lives. Oh, Nemir, while still enjoying their independence due to the region's distance and foreboding terrain, counted itself as a lifelong ally of Benut and understood its neighbor's plight.

     In that crowd, standing on the marble steps of the Library of Eldonia, Sivin and his family watched as the band passed. With a sniff, Sivin said, "Let them bow down, the sheep! They will soon know oppression just as we."
     "Sivin!," hissed Khalina, "Don't let them hear you!"
     She nodded at the numerous guards stationed throughout the parade route.
     "You know the least said against the Crown earns instant execution."
     "I know that," whispered a newly confident Sivin, "but somehow I have a feeling this may be the last Landing Day ceremony. Didn't you show that doll to Chenek? And didn't he dispatched his aide, Ubu, to Starfield House? I say, the lady who washed up on our shores is Aunya's daughter – Queen Amarah's direct descendant."

     Khalina shook her head then glanced at her daughter. Her eyes then fell on Danielle, that odd lady who so recently became a member of the family. The two young women stood not far from the parents; Tanina and Danielle commented on each and every detail of the parade, from the band to the procession of public officials. Dani asked question upon question, "Now who is this? What is that?"
    The woman took in everything with a peculiar curiosity, as if she had to learn as much in such a short time span.
     Khalina smiled to herself. Yes, she is of Amarah's bloodline. The proud carriage, the devastating beauty, the insatiable thirst for knowledge...Perhaps a healthy dose of courage and determination. She jolted herself back to reality as the governors' entourage approached. This was the only aspect of Landing Day ceremonies to which Khalina looked forward – not those governors, Banes and Sadius, but Chenek and Evore.
     Most Eldonians had rarely seen Princess Evore, regional governor of Nemir. Evore herself rarely left her province, making these annual fetes the only time she sets foot in the seat of Eldonian power. A full-blooded fairy with remarkable powers, Evore had precious little patience for King Vlaric and his ilk. She hated Banes and Sadius, suspecting those two were plotting against their sovereign, only Vlaric was too stupid and drunk with his own power to notice. Chenek of Benut was the only regional governor Evore loved; she remembered when he was in the Benutian resistance, nearly fifty years ago during the very last serious rebellion.
     Well, he was too old to fight now, and he so desperately wanted that old prophecy to come true. Evore had already learned of the woman called Danielle Bennett née Rhindra. Oh yes, Evore, after meeting with Ubu and hearing the aide out, sent forth messages to the windswept Nemirian coast off the Lenorn Ocean, where a thirty-year mystery was at last confirmed. Before leaving for Landing Day festivities, Evore sent two more messages, one to the sea beauty Mitra, the other to Jalen, keeper of Great Secrets. Jalen would, in turn, need to alert the dwarf Basileric and the mermaid Elura. The first would act as guide to two desperate fugitives; the second would finally reveal a task performed at the behest of a desperate mother.

¸ųųųųųų

     All along Tyq's major thoroughfare, King Thomas Avenue, the crowd cheered as the approach of the royal family finally neared. A series of elegant, open carriages, each emblazoned with official Eldonian seal and pulled by a team of matching white horses, proceeded. In the first carriage were Governors Banes and Sadius. Why these men rode together was not explained; people just assumed those regional governors had to be good friends. It was also assumed pairing Banes and Sadius in the same carriage was a show of unified force, so unlike the next two, Evore and Chenek.
     Governor Chenek of Benut came next, accompanied by his aide, Ubu. Other officials shared that carriage: the Nemirian ambassador Reba Decker and another imminent scientist Jarvis Wolf. Why Wolf and Decker shared that carriage was a mystery, and the people really didn't care. The majority of Eldonians, whereas they lauded praise and loud cheers upon Banes and Sadius, merely applauded for the others, showing not that much enthusiasm.
     Rounding out the governors' procession was Princess Evore astride her prized black dragon Warith. Accompanying her, each on pure white unicorns, were her aide Moopie and several other fairy attendants, each dressed in the natural tones of their homeland – all greens, browns, golds, gray and white. Those spectators standing curbside stepped back, fearing the dragon might let loose a volley of flames. Magical creatures as these held no place of honor among mainstream Eldonians who considered the beasts freaks of nature; therefore they are to feared and shunned. Again, as for Chenek and his entourage, most spectators applauded politely but without fervor.
     At last, the royal family appeared in a large open, regally appointed carriage of solid gold. Much filigree work and lavish ornaments reminiscent of Baroque and Rococo attested to King Vlaric's immense wealth. The carriage was pulled by a team of six palominos, each chosen by the King himself, and each horse had the same face markings.
     In that carriage, along with His Majesty, were Prince Asen and Princess Jolende. Vlaric's royal steward, Aughir, sat in the rear, next to Jolende's personal attendants. Despite his festive mood, Aughir endeavored to resist the subtle yet potent attentions of Venvula and Cyprelle. The Kororian ladies, sitting oh-so close to Aughir, pressed up against him, allowing their thighs to touch his. Cyprelle, her hands well concealed by a folded black velvet cloak, deftly fingered Aughir's thighs, her nails barely grazing the crotch. The royal steward shifted a bit, fully aware that these ladies will, in time, succeed in seducing him. These Kororian women are like that – shamelessly lascivious vamps whose sole life purpose is the pursuit of carnal pleasure. It had been that way for centuries, and the Kororian approach to sex put off the more spiritual Benutians who celebrated complete sensual expression and commitment between partners. In Benut, sex was far more than The Act and the brief rush one gets after a vigorous coupling. Love, commitment, the lifetime bond between partners, celebrating the power of the feminine... This was one aspect of his Benutian roots Aughir never forgot.
     One thing he did notice: Jolende, looking rather bored and detached, forced herself to wave and smile at her future subjects. Apparently, Aughir witnessed the princess, to ward off her ennui and indulge in a little fun, scanned the crowd, allowing her eyes to fall on one youth, the son of a tradesman. The boy couldn't have been more than sixteen, but Jolende immediately, careful not to be detected by Vlaric or Asen, launched into a seductive flirting game employed since puberty. Never letting her gaze leave the boy, Jolende, in passing, ran her tongue over crimson lips. She mouthed words, "I want you...Take me."
     The boy blushed, and his mother standing next to him noticed this sensual play. Immediately she took her son by the arm and dragged him away from Jolende's amorous gaze.

    Aughir, flabbergasted by this blatant display, shifted his glance to his sovereign and Asen. No, they're too busy greeting their subjects. They didn't see a thing...But I did...And I saw that mother's reaction. What if she spreads word about Jolende's little game? The last thing we need is a scandal in the royal family. Look at her...Not just one youth, but several along the route. Oh! How she blatantly flaunts herself, sending forth lustful invitations but never to sate a young man's thirst. This woman is not worthy to become Queen Consort, yet I have to show allegiance and homage...

   Two young women standing on the library steps saw it, too. Yet they didn't dwell on the princess' antics; Prince Asen's commanding appearance – as well as his ability to zero in on a particular spectator – was the chief topic of conversation.

ųųųųųų

     "Here comes the King's carriage," said Tanina, craning her neck to get a better look. Even from the distance where she and Dani stood, they could make out the faces of the royal family. Most people outside the city of Tyq seldom saw their King in the flesh, but most Benutians remembered Prince Asen with fondness. That was the irony. Although Benutians harbored no respect or love for King Vlaric, they admired Asen for his compassion and concern for the people. It was hoped the prince would not marry Princess Jolende, but Asen had no choice. This was the way of the Eldonian royal family; all marriages were arranged to ensure the continuity of the lineage, and to cement absolute power over the powerless.
     "It is said," Khalina whispered to Dani, "Jolende has no intention of playing the faithful wife. Once she given her husband at least one heir, she'll simply take a series of lovers. It is the way of Kororians. They prize carnal impropriety and their women carry on shamelessly. Look at how Jolende blatantly flirts with the youths along the path. Vlaric and Asen don't even notice this!"
     "I wonder," said Sivin, "if Vlaric knows what he's doing by pairing his son with the likes of her."

     Danielle said nothing as she watched the carriage pass. Her eyes never wavered from Asen's handsome face, and she wished they had more time to become better acquainted. So disturbing to see him, though it was to be a gala day, a little downcast. He smiled, but Dani could tell, from this distance, that he was unhappy. The smile was forced; the waving hand seemed plastic and automatic, as if he's done this all his life by rote. Well, he obviously had this and that royal duty to perform, so many official functions to attend, so the pleasant smiles and gestures came as if second nature.
Only it isn't natural...Oh, Asen, if only I could get closer to you...You are not a happy man; I can tell.

     Something fell out of sky, right into her hands. No one else noticed this, not even Dani's adoptive family. She examined the odd little item, a green crystal key. Shrugging, she pocketed the key, thinking someone may have lost it. But why did it seem to fall out of the sky? Whatever the key unlocked or to whomever it belonged, it was no concern to Danielle.

     As the royal procession passed beyond the library, Sivin said, "Well, that is it for another year."
     He turned to his wife, adding, "I choose not to remain for the entertainment. Why fight this crowd? Since we are in the city, I say we retire to Starfield House. At least, in all of Tyq, we are welcome there anytime. A nice repast and even better company. Better than hanging around these snooty folks."
     Khalina agreed, but Tanina protested. "But I thought we were to dance. We could use the money."
     Sivin thought it over, stroked his heavy black beard, replying at once, "No. This is one year my daughters will not dance for these people. They do not appreciate our arts or culture; they think our dancing is lewd and indecent. Yet they approve wholeheartedly of their prince marrying a slut like Jolende. How's that for two-faced, double-standard..."
   "Now, Sivin," Khalina said gently, "don't let Dani see you all upset like this. Besides, once we're safely in Starfield House, we can forget all our troubles for a few moments."
     Danielle almost said something but resisted. Actually, despite Sivin's outburst about Eldonians' disregard for Benutian culture, she had to agree. Why trash an entire people based on false assumptions yet embrace the very person who really embodies all traits the Eldonians supposedly disdain?
     She shook her head, determined to ask Sivin and Khalina about Princess Jolende, and why Prince Asen is forced to pair with such a person. As she prepared to descend the library steps, Dani felt a tap to her shoulder. She turned around to see a man all draped in heavy black velvet. He parted the cloak, revealing his face. She remembered meeting him on the street facing the Golden Tiara tavern.

     In hushed tones, he whispered, "The key...Take good care of it. It is one item that will wrest Asen from his father's grip, and us from Eldonia's oppression. It is your destiny to allow Asen to seek you out. Now, go to Starfield House, and from there you will discover just who you are."

[Go To Chapter Nine]

Copyright©2006 by P.R. Parker. All rights reserved.


CWW Home
CWW Fiction Files
Passion Magic Fiction Files (for mature audiences only!)
Email @ MSNTV