Flames of Eldonia


Chapter 27

While Dani and Asen spend a romantic night in Evore's castle, the Eldonian army assembles in Benut, readying for attack. However...

     At the edge of Rumil's city limits, General LaGras' men stood, awaiting orders from Regent Banes. The attack must be timed perfectly, take the citizens by surprise, leave no building standing and take as many prisoners as possible.
     Drat, what a time for Vlaric to die. His Majesty's initial orders were for the army to seize the Benutian provincial seat at night, raid and pillage, kill whoever gets in the way, but by all means bring in Chenek alive. Now with Banes as acting ruler of Eldonia, those orders had changed.

"Stand by for further instructions," read yesterday's message.

    "Stand by, my foot!," LaGras spat out as he took one more tour of his troops. Oh yes, his best and ablest ground fighters were all assembled, waiting to give the Benutians what for. The men had been itching for all-out attack for days, especially after learning of Vlaric's death. Murder, they said, and the Benutians and their rebel friends are responsible. Well, the Benutians and their precious governor are in for a rude awakening once the midnight hour begins...

     "Sir!," shouted an approaching corporal, "Message from Major Toms, sir! New orders from Regent Banes."
     LaGras frowned at this latest news. Now what? Are we to wait another hour or two, perhaps until dawn, to strike? He opened the note then blanched. So, it happens for real, tonight. Yes, it will disappoint his men not to have the opportunity to rout the Benutians and arrest Chenek. However, for the army's safety, and Koror Province's security, the orders had to be carried out.
     "When did Major Toms receive this?." LaGras asked the corporal.
     "Just today, late this afternoon. Hert, the new royal steward, on Banes' request, personally delivered the orders to the major. Banes is ordering all troops to retreat to Koror at once, before midnight. That weapon is to be deployed precisely at midnight. And there's more."
     The corporal continued, "Sir, Hert's own spies have sighted Governor Chenek and several rebels heading for Koror Province, to the capital Lemrac. They're in the company of Hanon, a Benutian who was instrumental in the death of Vlaric's chief spy Globbock. But clear all troops from Benut at once lest be caught in the weapon's destructive blast. Minutes after midnight, this place shall be rendered to dust."

     As much as LaGras wanted to continue the assault, orders were orders. He hated to retreat but didn't want to risk a court martial and execution at Banes' hand, so there was no other alternative.
     To the corporal he said, "Send this back to Major Toms: Order all available troops to Lemrac. My guess is Chenek and the rebels will attack the provincial palace. Have Toms' men surround the palace and arrest Chenek if he so much as shows his face. Arrest any other suspicious persons then prepare to return to Tyq."
     The corporal clicked his heels in obedience then left. General LaGras, glancing at his troops, instantly gave the orders to retreat. Of course, there were the usual grumblings of protest amongst the men. No worry, the general reassured, they will not regret this change of orders; besides, by tomorrow morning, Benut Province will be smashed into oblivion, never to rise again. That much wished for revenge will be fulfilled.
     As the troops began to depart from the field, one soldier could be heard saying to another, "Well, at least we won't ever have to see this place again. Good riddance I say, the blasted murderers."

++++++

     From the window of Rumil's provincial palace, Ubu watched in disbelief as what few soldiers, who had been stationed in the city, merely walk away. Earlier this evening, moments after sunset, he could see the flicker of torchlights in the distance, just outside the city gates. Obviously this was General LaGras' troops assembling for an imminent attack. Now, by some unknown reason, those troops had retreated. The latest reports from surrounding towns and villages, the border towns and harbors, all stated that Banes ordered the Eldonian army to retreat from Benut and relocate to Koror where their presence is sorely needed. Ubu, just now, received a direct message from Aughir stating the same. More odd was a message from Dian, a minor sorceress, which read, "Do not worry; I've taken care of it."
     Taken care of what? As much as Ubu wanted the Alliance's success, and that success was now at hand, there were still so many unanswered questions, and many more players in an increasingly complicated plan to oust the Eldonian regime. At least Danielle and Asen arrived in Nemir safe and sound. Still no word from Chenek or the local rebel cell still stationed in Inamor near Amarah's Castle. Chenek's last message ordered Ubu and Cadmore to proceed with evacuation plans in the event LaGras' troops advanced on the city. Well, the troops have now retreated from Benut altogether. Perhaps, thought Ubu, Banes figures making the Benutians believe the army is leaving the country will lull the people into a false sense of security. Given that, the army could overrun the city in a surprise ambush. Then again, if Banes indeed ordered the army to relocate to Koror...
     "Unless he wanted the army there for a reason," muttered Ubu, fathoming all possible explanations for Banes' sudden change of orders. Then it came to him: Banes plans to use that weapon...tonight!
     "Only Banes doesn't know about the switch. Once he learns the real weapon has obliterated Koror, not us...Rylan! Rylan!"

     He called out to his private secretary who kindly stayed in the office past hours sending messages to various Alliance members. Rylan, a pretty young woman who most locals claimed had a soft spot for Ubu, ran into the governor's office.

    "What is it, Ubu?," she asked.
    "Send a message to Aughir in Tyq posthaste. If what I'm guessing is true, all our peoples in Chalou Province must relocate to Starfield House this very evening. There they will be safe. Banes plans to launch that missile tonight. Have all our peoples here on standby. The missile due here will protect us as it's armed with niuvite, the same substance in those bombs Banes will use on Starfield House."
     Rylan busily wrote the message then asked, "Anything else to add before I send this?"

     Ubu replied, "Yes. Give Aughir the go-ahead to ignite those phérium spikes. Then send Mitra a message to have her sea creatures on high alert. It begins now, Rylan. The assault on Tyq begins the moment those niuvite bombs envelope Starfield House, thus protecting it and all its inhabitants from the ensuing firestorm..."
    Then he asked of Jerry Cadmore's whereabouts. To this Rylan replied, "He is still in the building, sir. Upstairs in Chenek's private bedchamber asleep."
     Ubu smiled, saying, "Well, let him rest as it's been a long day. The moment he awakes have him come here. He will need to travel to Nemir, to Mt. Soraring, in the morning. There is someone there he must meet."

++++++

     He waited for this moment his entire life. At last the pathetic Alliance and its attempts to overthrow the Eldonian regime will be a wisp of a memory. So will Benut Province. In a manner of hours the entire province will be reduced to a lifeless wasteland. There will be very little left by way of flora and fauna, and precious few survivors. Only they won't survive for long, not after witnessing their beloved governor, the instrument in the resistance movement, put to an agonizing, exceedingly gruesome, and excruciating death. He had considered letting a few surviving Benutians live on as slaves to the Eldonian nobility. Strip them of all their humanity, make them give up their culture and stupid republican and egalitarian sentiments. Reduce them to subhuman status and show them to the world as the savages they are. Force them into subservience and they, in the end, will be ever so appreciative of their betters.
     But why bother? Let them die just like their pathetic governor. No way should any of them survive to plan another rebellion.

     In the royal office, Banes sat in the very chair once occupied by Vlaric. He awaited news from LaGras and the army. Did they manage to penetrate the city of Rumil? Did they find Chenek and the rebels? It was late, nearly eleven o'clock, and Banes wanted that weapon launched precisely at midnight.
     Where is Hert? Despite the young man's usual efficiency and abject obedience, Banes' new steward was a tad late tonight. All he had to do was to deliver those orders to LaGras then return to Tyq. Perhaps he was held up at the Pinemoor depot, temporarily detained by some numbskull soldier who hadn't the sense to realize Hert was on state business. Ah well, all for naught as the royal steward just arrived at Banes' door with profuse apologies.

     "Sorry I am late, sire," said Hert as he entered the room. "There was a delay at Pinemoor. Had to show a soldier my papers, sire."
     Banes smiled thinly at this handsome young man with jet black hair, soft features, and piercing gray eyes. The youth appeared almost effeminate; even his manners suggested such. No matter, for Hert is proving himself worthy of the post, far more than Aughir who, as of last report, was still recuperating at his country home from whatever illness.
     "That is all right, Hert," said Banes. "What is the latest report on those rebels? Has LaGras' men captured Chenek and other Alliance members?"
     "Oh yes, sire. Major Toms arrested Governor Chenek and several rebels at Pinemoor. This is why the delay at the depot. All prisoners are en route to Tyq now, sire."

     Again, Banes smiled, nearly laughed. To his steward he said, "Good! Now, instead of waiting for Chenek and his ilk, I've decided to launch the missile without the witnesses. It really doesn't matter since Chenek is now in custody. He and his rebel friends won't have a home to go to once Benut is levelled to dust. Send the message to Sgt. McMasters to launch at the appointed hour. Let him know that the test weapon is to be launched first, then the real missile deployed immediately afterwards. Once they are launched, McMasters may begin bombarding Starfield House."
     Banes thought of something else: Jolende. She must come to Tyq at once, and this he told Hert. He ordered the steward to send an express communique to the Kororian princess immediately.
     "Tell Her Highness victory is at hand. Please drop whatever she is doing and board the midnight express to Tyq. Princess Jolende is to become my queen-consort."

     Hert, pen and pad in hand, took down all information as dictated. Once finished he said, "I'll send these out right away, sire." Then he asked, "Sire, should I inform Sgt. McMasters that you will be present for the launch?"
     Banes thought it over. As much as he wanted to be there in his moment of triumph, it had been a long day. Besides, he completely trusted his military officials to do the job right. Why should they need him to oversee something as simple as launching two missiles? Just the thought of Jolende returning to him, to his bed, was enough. She will be so pleased, so overjoyed that all their painstaking planning garnered so much success. After the official mourning for the late king was over, after the execution of Chenek and Alliance rebels, Banes would put on the most fabulous coronation celebration Eldonia hadn't experienced in decades. It would surpass all ceremonies and festivities in pomp and elegance. Only then, once the people have celebrated their new ruler and his queen, Banes would set into motion his agenda for more power and control, more brutal methods for keeping the people in line. The average Eldonians were sheep, blind to all reason and frightened of change. They wholeheartedly supported their betters in the past without question, actively backed their king and court with an allegiance most lesser dictators envy. Such is necessary for a man as Banes to achieve his ultimate goals.

     Rising from his chair, he said to Hert, "Inform McMasters I shall not join him for the launch. I am going to bed. Awake me the moment Benut is no more and those traitors are safely locked in the dungeons. I shall personally oversee all interrogation and take delight in torturing that virtuous prig Chenek, so much that he will beg me to kill him. Now, be off with you. Our dream of the perfect Eldonia will soon be reality."

[Go to Chapter 28]

Copyright©2006, 2007 by P.R. Parker. All rights reserved.


CWW Home
CWW Fiction Files
Passion Magic Fiction Files (for mature audiences only!)
Email @ MSNTV