Flames of Eldonia


Chapter 25

    Never before had Danielle seen such a beautiful city. Not even the grandeur of Tyq could rival that of Faelyn, provincial seat of Nemir. In fact, the entire country of Nemir had a decidedly aura about it, totally different than Benut Province. While Benut had varied terrain and physical features, and an expansive coastline, Nemir was all dense forest and vast meadows to the south, high mountains to the north.
     Dani and Asen's guide, the dwarf Basileric, explained that his country's features were in tune with the magical, mystical beings: fairies, dragons, unicorns, all creatures of wonderment. Basileric also noted Nemir had few cities or other large settlements. Faelyn was the region's largest city, and what could rightfully classify as a city. The other settlements were small villages, hamlets, and were scattered throughout. Most settlements were few and far between; it was not uncommon for a traveler to cross endless forests and mountains and not encounter a town for days, even weeks.
     "The Eldonians," said the dwarf as he guided the dragon to the landing pad outside Faelyn's provincial palace, "with all their advanced technology and myriad cities, look down on us as much as, if not more, than they do the Benutians. They deem us freaks, aberrations of nature, thus they have little to do with us. They do not trade with us nor establish any diplomatic ties. Nevertheless, they consider Nemir part of Eldonia proper, although they wish our country would just not exist at all."
     No diplomatic ties, thought Danielle. Yet Nemir has a governor who represents the region in all Eldonian state affairs. Why is that? Basileric replied:
     "Think about it, Dani. If they allowed Nemir to remain independent, then we'd be seen as a potential threat. So they absorbed Nemir into Eldonia proper, without our consent, of course. Naturally, with the Alliance's efforts, our country, as well as Benut, will be free again. Ah, I see we're nearing Evore's palace. You and Asen will stay the night here, then we'll head for Mt. Soraring in the morning."

     The dragon delicately swooped down towards the landing platform outside Evore's palace, executing a neat landing without jarring her passengers. My goodness, thought Dani, in my world, dragons are seen as dangerous, ferocious monsters. Yet these animals are almost docile, very different from what I've been taught.
     Though in awe of this fabulous Nemirian beast, Danielle remembered why she was here: To find her Benutian birth mother, and to reclaim her role as the true ruler of Eldonia. Of course, she would, once she fully learned of her destiny, help Asen reclaim his country from his father's brutal reign. Such a feat would not come without a cost, perhaps at tremendous loss of life, but Dani was not fazed. Actually, there was little of her former life back in South Carolina she truly wanted. Yes, there was the lucrative career as legal eagle in a posh Charleston law firm, her well-appointed vacation condo in Myrtle Beach, and a restored antebellum mansion in town.
However, and this Dani wanted to discuss with her parents once she returned to Ohio, she wanted to come home, to establish her own law practice, perhaps return to school and earn a teaching degree. Dani, aside from her desire to become a lawyer, always dreamed of a second career in education, perhaps securing a position within a large urban school corporation.
Admittedly, she couldn't fulfill that dream now, not in a backwards – to Dani's thinking, Eldonia was far behind the times as women's roles went – country as this. However, she would, in time, once the Alliance achieved its goal of independence, once she and Asen gained control of the country, implement drastic changes by way of ensuring full equality regardless of gender. Dani had hoped to discuss this with Asen tonight, before heading to Mt. Soraring in the morning.

     Once on the ground, Dani, Asen, and Basileric dismounted then waited for Moopie to take them before Princess Evore. Again, Danielle was in awe of the palace as well as the entire city of Faelyn. The palace appeared straight out of a fairytale with its tall gilded spires, gleaming walls of solid marble, and crystal blue moat.
     Moopie, Evore's personal aide, came out on the platform to greet the party, saying, "Welcome to Faelyn. I trust you had a pleasant journey. Princess Evore is waiting for you, in the conference room, along with her friend Lan."
    Basileric dusted off his earthtone cloak and replied, "We made excellent time, Moopie. Is all ready on Soraring?"
    "Yes, all ready." Moopie turned to Dani, adding, "After your meeting with Evore, you will stay the night in the palace. Your rooms are ready."

    Without further conversation, Moopie guided the trio up the long corridor leading to the palace's rear entrance. From there they would travel down more corridors, up many stairs, before reaching the conference room.
    On the way, Danielle could now marvel at the palace's interior. It was just as gorgeous inside as out. The walls, all solid marble, were highly polished and decorated with various tapestries, paintings, sculptures. Dozens of torches flickered at every interval, illuminating the path, but at this time of day there was really no need for additional light as the great windows reaching from floor to ceiling allowed the bright late afternoon sun to shine through. Danielle noticed several statues of what she assumed were great men and women who played significant historical roles in Nemir. This she asked Moopie who explained:
     "Oh, Nemir, like Benut, has a rich history. This one," she said, pointing to a marble statue of a beautiful young man with serene expression, "is of Trab, Evore's great-great-grandfather. He was responsible for establishing trade between Nemir and Benut."
     Dani nodded, asking, "And who is this woman?" She indicated the marble statue trimmed in pure gold and precious gems. The woman was beautiful beyond compare with delicately wrought wings and dressed in flowing robes, yet her expression was sad.
     "Ah," said Moopie, "that is Queen Lucerne who lived and ruled at the same time those three men came and usurped all. Nemir was far larger than it is now. What is now Koror Province was part of our country, that is until the Kororian queen Ziwan made that pact with Thomas I."

     Moopie gave Dani and Asen a capsule history of Koror, a country that would have never gained the power it had, let alone become a sovereign nation in its own right. Long ago, long before those three seafaring men landed on the shores of what is now Chalou Province, what is now known as Eldonia was really divided into two independent countries: Nemir and Benut. Where Koror is now was really part of Nemir, populated by peoples who felt shunned and ostracized by both Nemirians and Benutians, which was far from the truth. In those days Koror was a wild region with few settlements outside the present-day provincial seat Lemrac. The region had a ruler but only nominally; the whoever sat on the throne in Faelyn. Yet, the Nemirians never required outright allegiance to their ruler; this made sense as Nemir was populated by other peoples and creatures who had their own codes and laws. The only enforced requirements: Never cause harm to another, never strike down another in anger, never take what is not yours. Learn to get along with your neighbors regardless. Unfortunately, those peoples of a future Koror didn't see it that way. Enter Thomas, Yves, and Quentin. Once that trio established the nation of Eldonia, they needed resources, and Benut Province had plenty. They also needed to network with peoples who, for all practical purposes, thought as they, so they approached Queen Ziwan who wanted her region separate from Nemir.

     "They, Ziwan and Thomas, conspired to carve up the region, give the area now known as Koror to Ziwan's people. It was the best land, very productive agriculturally, and those people stole it from us," explained Moopie as she guided her party down the last corridor leading to the conference room.
     "At Thomas' orders, all 'undesirables' – that meant all fabulous creatures and fairies, witches and sorcerers – to the north. When you saw a map of Eldonia, you noticed Nemir is very small in comparison to the other provinces. They forced us to live in a much smaller space, away from the more productive land. Not that we really needed it. As magical peoples, we can conjure up all we need. Yet, it is rather crowded, but we manage. Once the Alliance ousts the Eldonian regime – and that includes Koror – we hope to regain our lands. Oh, here we are..."

     Her voice faded away as the great solid gold doors of the conference room appeared at the end of the corridor. Again, Dani marvelled at the incredible luxury of this place. In fact, the most of Faelyn's architecture followed a pattern similar that of the palace. From the window she could see dozens of multi-colored marble buildings with their alabaster domes and gilt roofs. The style was, as least to Dani, reminiscent of early Florence with a dash of Art Nouveau. Faelyn was so unlike Tyq which to Dani seemed, despite its so-called advancement in culture and technology, cold and sterile, without feeling or heart.
     Once again, Dani's breath was taken away at the sight of the massive golden double doors that stretched to the ceiling. Those doors flew open and a pretty fairy with dark hair and flowing pink dress with wings to match welcomed the guests. "Ah,," she said breathily, "we've been expecting you. Please come in. Princess Evore is anxious to meet with you. Danielle, I am Herse, your personal attendant."

++++++

     Deep in the enchanted forest, not far from Faelyn, near the banks of the Thiwe River where it meets with the Bashwa and Etteyaf, a simple cottage sits. Just your average thatched roof, half-timber, one-room cottage, nothing fancy or outlandish. In this cottage lives two ladies who have the distinction of being two of Evore's best spies. Yes, the Nemirian fairy princess did have her moth spies, but, occasionally, she'll employ her fairy and magical subjects when the need arises. This was one of those occasions.
     Aravina, a pretty red-haired half-fairy with jagged white wings, bustled about, readying her friend's special herbal remedies. The man-serpent Gar and his human lover Bliss had just arrived in their houseboat. With them was a badly injured man who Aravina's friend knew at once, and she was, at first, hesitant to give this man aid. However, Bliss and Gar explained the situation: This man had to be nursed back to health; if not, at least get him coherent enough to confess to his crimes.

    "What crimes?," asked Aravina.
    "Against the people," was all Bliss would say. Then she asked Aravina, "Don't you know who this is?"
The fairy shook her head, but her friend knew the man at first glance despite his haggard appearance.

     "Governor Sadius of Koror," the friend muttered as she applied soothing balms to the man's wounds. Indeed, the wounds were deep but not that life-threatening. Even so, the time spent in the water sapped his strength, allowing other, more serious infections to set in.
Sadius, ever delirious from pain and fever, mumbled, "He did it. He made me do it..."

     "Hush," the lady gently said as she bandaged his wounded legs. "Don't try to talk. You must save your strength."
     As much as she hated this man, it was her duty as a healer to nurse him. Still frowning, she applied a cold cloth to his head, saying softly, "This will help bring the fever down. Please, try to get some rest."
She left his bedside then rejoined the others.

     "How is he?," asked Aravina. "Will he live?"
     "He has to get better," said Gar. "He is the third party in the conspiracy, and only he can finger his accomplices."
     "Conspiracy?," she asked, not aware of the situation's gravity.

     "King Vlaric died two days ago," said Bliss. "Already Banes has made himself regent, and he blames the Benutians and rebel alliance for murdering the king. Our own spies within the Alliance network reveal that Banes, Jolende, and Sadius worked together to oust Vlaric."
     "And now," said Gar, "with Vlaric dead and Asen still missing, Banes is itching to use that Ultimate Weapon against Benut. Word is that Nemir will be the next target once Benut is levelled to dust."

     Aravina's friend, a pretty dark-haired lady with dusky complexion and green eyes, glanced over at a now-sleeping Sadius. So, he, out of his own desperate, misguided attempts to gain glory for himself, played into Banes' hands. Only Sadius had no inkling that his partners in crime would sell him out, even eliminate him for being of no further use.
     "No, he will live," she said, "but barely. His wounds will not kill him, but the fever may. I administered draughts of pain-killers and antiseptics. Hopefully they will take affect long enough for him to be lucid."
     She turned to Gar and Bliss, adding, "That is what you want, isn't it? Sadius to live long enough to confess to all. He'll do it, to save his own skin, or to reassure himself both Banes and Jolende will follow him to the chopping block."
     "How long before he comes around?," asked Bliss.
     The healing lady replied, "Give him an hour or so to rest, and for the drugs to take affect." She said nothing else then returned to Sadius bedside.

    Bliss looked at Aravina, asking, "Who is she? Is she Benutian?"
     "She has to be," said Gar, tossing his dark hair out of his eyes and coiling his snaky lower body before the fireplace. He helped himself to cakes and tea, adding, "The Benutian women are naturals at healing."
     Aravina nodded, saying, "She is Mag, eldest daughter of Sivin and Khalina. She and her sister, Lysa, left their home in Brightbridge long ago, seeking asylum here. Lysa is now living in Glacier City, near Mt. Soraring. Mag has been with me – Oh, it's been ever so long."

     Bliss watched Mag nurse a delirious Sadius, saying, "Well, I guess that explains why she's so bitter. Who wouldn't be?" Then, "Any word on that woman who washed up on Benut's shores a few days ago? We've heard she's The One, the direct descendent of Amarah. Is it true?"
     Aravina smiled and replied, "Yes, it is true. In fact, she and Prince Asen should be in Faelyn now, meeting with Princess Evore. I just hope Danielle prepares herself for the inevitable..."

"Inevitable?," asked a curious Gar.

     "Her birth mother, Aunya," said Aravina, "is still living in exile in Alecrig. Khalina is en route there as we speak, with that doll. Then there's the matter of breaking to Aunya that her son is still alive. You do know that Aunya had twins, do you?"
     A shocked Gar stopped eating, his eyes wide with amazement at this latest news.
"I didn't know there was a second child. We just assumed only Aunya's daughter was smuggled out. So who is the son?"
     "I'm not at liberty to reveal much, Gar," said Aravina. "In fact, there is more to all this 'long lost child' than meets the eye. However, I will tell you of Aunya's son, and please do not tell anyone else until he and his mother have reunited."

     "Well," said Bliss with impatient curiosity, "tell us!"

     Aravina, knowing the explanation would take up more time than she'd like, launched into her story:
     "You know how Aunya's daughter was smuggled out of Eldonia. Well, Aunya felt her son could fall victim to Vlaric's baby purge, so she had me take the child to the Bashwa River. I put the boy into a basket then sent him afloat, all the while watching out for his safe journey. The basket washed up where the river passes through Chalou Province, on the banks not far from Cadmore Manor."

     "No," gasped Bliss, "it can't be..."
     "But he is," said Aravina. "Jereif Cadmore, Asen's best friend, is Amárion. However, he may not know of his true parentage..."
     "Almost will have to," said Gar in matter-of-fact tone, "what with the impending deaths of his adoptive parents. You do know nearly all Chalou Province will be destroyed once those underground bombs go off."

     A faint voice emanated from the bed. It was Sadius, and he was just coming around. He mumbled almost incoherently, but said enough to intrigue all gathered around him. Mag sponged his feverish head with cool water, leaning closer to get a better listen.
     "No, no...Banes...He will retaliate...Tried to kill me...It wasn't all me...Jolende made me go along...It was all Banes and Jolende...They killed Vlaric...Blamed it on the...the Benutians...Will destroy it...Jolende...not honest woman..."

     Gar turned to his lover, saying, "We got to get Chenek up here. Or at least Lan. We have to get this man's confession in writing before confronting Banes."
     He then asked Aravina, "How long before Danielle and Asen depart for Alecrig?"
     "They will leave first thing in the morning," said that lady.

     "Then I suggest we get a message to Evore as soon as possible. If Sadius dies before we get his confession, Banes will very well get off scot-free with murder and treason."

[Go to Chapter 26]

Copyright©2006, 2007 by P.R. Parker. All rights reserved.


CWW Home
CWW Fiction Files
Passion Magic Fiction Files (for mature audiences only!)
Email @ MSNTV
        <-->