Flames of Eldonia


Chapter 21

     In what was once King Vlaric's office, Aughir paced back and forth, pondering how the new ruler of Eldonia pulled off the perfect crime. Of course, Governor Banes, now bestowing upon himself the title Regent, had yet to break the sad news to the people. That task would fall upon Banes himself who insisted on a major public address this afternoon. In that address, along with the awful news of the King's death – or murder as Banes insisted – would be couched with venom aimed at the very ones Banes believed the true killers: the Benutians. Oh yes, Aughir, in his haste to return to the palace, lest Banes get suspicious of his lengthy absence, encountered the servants Myra and Tuc. From them he learned how Vlaric's body was discovered, and how Banes so unceremoniously dismissed Inspector Argyle's call for an autopsy and investigation. After all, surmised the inspector, the king could have met with foul play or, as earlier suspected, Vlaric's death could have been just an unfortunate accident brought on by the headache tonic's powerful side effects. From the servants' account of the heated exchange between Argyle and Banes, Aughir had more than enough to suspect – if not to outright accuse – Banes of murder.
     Last night, Aughir clearly saw, from his bedchamber window directly across that of the king's, Vlaric pacing back and forth. Jolende entered shortly before midnight, stayed a while, then departed. After consulting with the footman who was supposed to bring Vlaric's tonic and coinciding the train schedule with Jolende's hasty departure, Aughir concluded the Kororian princess had to dope that tonic. Even more damning – and Banes hadn't bothered to ask their whereabouts – the confession of Jolende's attendants, Cyprelle and Venvula. Those ladies were still presently locked away in the dungeons, and they revealed all: How Banes and Jolende asked the girls to keep the royal steward 'occupied' while Jolende personally took that doped tonic to Vlaric, and how the princess simply took off on the midnight express to her home in Lemrac. The girls were to remain in Tyq lest anyone question Jolende's telling absence. While Aughir didn't want the ladies trapped in the dungeon during the Great Eldonian Purge, he came to the conclusion that they were willing parties to an assassination. However, and Aughir was not a cold-blooded sort by nature, he would free them once he had their word of complete cooperation. Cyprelle and Venvula's sworn statements were crucial to Inspector Argyle's investigation, and definitely needed in exposing Banes' role in a well-planned coup.
     "Banes may believe," muttered Aughir under his breath while studying the plans for the Ultimate Weapon, "he's pulled off the perfect crime. Killing the king then blaming the Benutians. He, most likely, during his address to the people, whip them into a frenzy of bloodlust and vengeance. The people, under the influence of Banes' calculated words, will call for the total destruction of Benut Province, and Banes will be all too willing to oblige."
     As he continued to study those weapon plans, taking advantage of Banes' absence, Aughir saw a handwritten note in the margins: "Test weapon to be deployed to Koror. It will not cause harm. Launch this one first."
     Immediately Aughir recognized the handwriting as Banes', then he concluded that Vlaric's 'loyal' governor and advisor was not all that loyal. It had been Banes all along egging King Vlaric to destroy Benut Province, thus finally squelching the rebellion. In fact, the complete annihilation of Benut would end, once and for all, any chance of those peoples gaining their hard-fought freedom.
     Well, this will not be for naught, Aughir thought. As of now, all rebels stationed in Tyq relocated to Starfield House; their former homes in town had to be abandoned as the time for attack was nigh. It was obvious Banes, in his rush to make himself ruler of Eldonia, would order Starfield House bombarded then deploy that weapon at once. Thank the gods Enos, the leader of the Tyq cell, promised to retrieve that precious chest stashed beneath Queen Indria's statue. Gaining access to the statue would be risky in broad daylight, so Aughir suggested to wait until sunset, while the people gathered in palace square, raptly listening to Banes' tirades. By way of an intricate series of tunnels beneath the city would Enos be able to access the chest. Aughir only hoped that, once the chest was safely secure within Starfield House, the attack could begin. Since the entire Eldonian navy was lost, and the entire army occupied in Benut Province, the capital city of Tyq was, in effect, unprotected. What a perfect time to launch the assault; that is once those missiles are deployed.
     Sensing Banes' approach out in the corridor, Aughir hastily scribbled a message then went to the window. Tucking the note within the legs of a resting Shifer swallowtail, he said, "Take this to Faelyn, to Princess Evore. Make sure she gets it. Our time is at hand."
     He watched the blue-black butterfly flutter off into the distance. With any luck, Banes would have no idea Aughir was the key rebel leader, or that the steward dared to betray king and country. Also, Banes would never discover that the Benutians used their local fauna as messengers. Aughir knew most Eldonians relied on trained pigeons, not insects, to pass on important correspondence since only the elites had access to more sophisticated means of communication such as the telegraph.
     "Even if we rebels could, for us, using the wire would be too risky, so we employed those centuries' old techniques..."

    Still standing at the window, Aughir continued to watch the sky, following the butterfly's flight pattern until it was well out of sight. He hoped Evore and her friends intercepted those two spies who infiltrated the resistance band currently stationed at Amarah's castle. Oh yes, he knew of Globbock, the king's longtime expert in espionage, and that spy often employed his own band of helpers.
     The latest was a local Chalouian fellow named Iacho who managed to worm his way into the rebel cell, claiming to be Benutian by birth. That was a lie as Syrin, the chief of the Inamor cell, while holed up in Amarah's castle, asked Iacho a few pointed questions in the guise of pleasant small talk.
     Immediately Syrin concluded Iacho was a plant, and the spy had reported his findings to Globbock via messenger pigeon. Thank young Ary who shot down bird with a well-aimed poisoned dart. As of now, according to Syrin's last message, both Globbock and Iacho were en route to Pinemoor courtesy of Hanon, a Benutian purveyor of transportation. Aughir learned, via Syrin, that the 'ride', which the spies believed would get them to Pinemoor in time to catch the express to Tyq – thus arriving in time to warn the king of the phony phérium bombs – was a trap. Hanon told the spies he had one more stop to make along the coast; he had two more passengers to pick up. This was partially true, although Syrin wouldn't elaborate.
The message's last lines read: "Thank Lan for intervening at our most delicate time. He alerted Hanon who, in turn, gladly transported those men to their destination – their final destination. Globbock and Iacho will no longer be a problem. Do what you want in Tyq; we'll go ahead with our plans on this end."

    Hmm, thought Aughir, so Evore's lover, Lan, aided in ridding us of those spies. Now, if only we can do the same for Banes. No, let him believe his nefarious plot to oust Vlaric is successful. Once he discovers those bombs, and the missile aimed a Benut, are harmless fakes, it will be too late to save the land he so desperately wanted to rule for himself.
    Oh, but wait! What about the two others, Banes' partners in the scheme? At this moment, Princess Jolende was in Lemrac, capital of Koror Province. Sadius is dead...No he is not, for word had yet to come from Gar and Bliss. Perhaps his 'body' had yet to wash up, but it has to since Sadius is the loose cannon in that trio. Banes and Jolende could keep their part of the scheme secret; but Sadius, once he learned that he would be 'disposed of', once Banes is firmly ensconced as Eldonia's sole ruler...

     "More like dictator, far worse than what we've lived under all these years. With Benut Province levelled to dust, Chenek publicly and horribly executed, there will be no hope. Banes will rule this land with an iron fist, a cruelty unprecedented in these five-hundred years...Come on, Sadius! You're not dead, because I can feel it."

++++++

     On the paddlewheel steamboat Dragon Princess, on the Etteyaf River, far away from the great railway bridge, the beautiful Lady Bliss awaited her lover's return. Bliss was what the mainstream Eldonians derisively called a "half-bred freak," not worthy of sitting in their social circles or at their dinner tables, a product of Brix, a minor Chalouian nobleman, and Dian, a lower-level Nemirian witch. From her mother, Bliss inherited no special powers other than the ability to communicate with various local animals and the fabulous Nemirian beasts.
     What was more unusual about Bliss was her proclivity to fall in love with what the Eldonians deemed as freaks of nature. Her current lover, a serpent-man named Gar, years ago, spirited Bliss away from her home near the tiny Nemirian village of Caudix to his steamboat near the mouth of the Etteyaf River, where the borders of Koror, Chalou, and Nemir Provinces meet. They spent most time on the boat, travelling between Caudix and Verborma, the latter being Gar's home. This stretch of the river was usually avoided by the Eldonians what with the swampy coast and expanse of worthless wetlands.
    "Stupid people," muttered Bliss, "they don't know the wetlands serve as buffer from the ocean storms, and are the main source for our fresh water. So be it. That's more water for ourselves. Besides, Gar and I have privacy unrivalled."

     What is taking so long? Gar left late morning, and now it was nearly sunset. They had stayed in bed all morning, enjoying their special brand of lovemaking, when an urgent message arrived via the gryphon Aten. Something had gone down last night in Tyq, and two spies who had infiltrated the rebel cell in Benut were presently transported to an as yet unknown location. There was a third part of that message, something about a possible murder victim. Said victim may not be dead after all, and, if necessary, he should be spirited away to Faelyn with all deliberate speed. The victim's recovery was needed as only he could positively identify his partners in crime.
     Not wanting to wait out in the dank air, Bliss returned inside, to her quarters aboard the boat. She sat before the dressing table mirror, studying her reflection. To be sure, Bliss was a pretty woman: dark-haired, brown-eyed, tall and lithely built, good looks inherited from her Nemirian mother. She was just as beautiful inside as out; her natural compassion and ready wit attracted Gar most.
     Bliss knew about the rebel alliance and all efforts to oust the oppressors, and she and Gar wholeheartedly joined in the resistance movement, serving as transport for those threatened with capture by Vlaric's forces. Oh yes, both Bliss and Gar knew about the bomb and missile switch, and now they learned of Vlaric's assassination as well as the co-conspirator's fate. Still, Bliss didn't know her and Gar's role in the rebellion efforts would become so crucial, and the immediate events leading to that were about to unfold now.
     She heard voices outside her cabin. Looking out the window, she could make out Gar's unmistakable slithering movements up the gangplank. He was a sight to behold. To the Eldonians his appearance was deemed as extremely hideous; to Bliss, he was a most beautiful man.
     Gar was just two years older than Bliss, in his mid-twenties. From the waist up he was all handsome, well-built man – Thick, glossy black hair reaching just to the shoulders, keen dark brown eyes, boyish good looks, a youthfully muscular physique. Below the waist was nearly six feet of writhing, glistening, scaly black serpent. Gar was a one of the Sineten, a race of serpent-people who had long resided in Nemir. Far from evil, the Sineten were revered by the Nemirians and Benutians for their great beauty, deep wisdom, and playfully humorous nature. There was one characteristic that set the Sineten apart from other fabulous creatures: They were notoriously sexual beings, given to lustful relations with others unlike them, most often with humans. It was not unusual to see human women pared with Sineten males, and vice versa. At first, when Bliss met Gar, she was rendered utterly breathless from his relentlessly insatiable libido. Now she couldn't imagine life without him. She loved the freedom to move about, travelling up and down the river at a whim. Of course, she wholly loved the way he loved her, body and soul.

     "Eldor," he called out to his chief boatman, coiling himself around a nearby post to rest, thoroughly exhausted, "fetch Rico to help you bring this up. I've dragged this damned bag as far as I could. There's a badly wounded man inside, and he'll need medical attention. Come, bring him to the rear cabin."
     Now Bliss wished she hadn't changed into that sexy red satin dress, the one that molded to her body like a wet washcloth. She had hoped Gar, upon his return, would indulge her in some vigorous lovemaking. Normally, just seeing him sinuously writhing up the gangplank, relishing his beauty and every sensual wriggle, would send Bliss into fits of frenzied lust. However, this was not the case; and Gar, in his present mood, had more pressing matters on his mind.
     Within seconds, she stripped off the dress then changed into more utilitarian attire of old brown pants and red T-shirt. She dashed out the cabin, then down the stairs to the lower deck.
     "Gar," she called out, "what's happened? I overheard something about a man in a bag."
     Once she approached, Gar embraced her then planted a sound kiss to her lips. He said breathlessly and half-amusedly, "This is one time I wished for legs."
    Then, more seriously, he added, "Darling, that message this morning was from Aughir. I spent all day searching up and down the river, in the vicinity of the rail bridge. Luckily I found the bag, and its contents...Bliss, it's Sadius. He's not dead but badly wounded. We have to leave for Faelyn at once."
     Bliss still didn't understand all, saying, "Isn't Sadius governor of Koror Province? Why are we giving the likes of him shelter?"
     Coiling himself around Bliss in a sound embrace, his hands holding her face, Gar, finally catching his breath, looked into his lover's brown eyes, saying before kissing her again, "Sadius has information of this conspiracy pact. He has been working with Banes and Jolende, and obviously had a role in Vlaric's murder. My dear, according to Aughir, this place is no longer safe for us. Within days, Koror Province, in its entirety, will be levelled to dust, and that I'm not at liberty to elaborate. In Nemir we'll be safe; and Sadius, if he survives, may be able to reveal what Banes has been up to all these years."

   "And that is?"

   "To take over Eldonia for himself. Yet Banes does not know the true fruits of his folly. Come, my love, we must be on our way...And I trust you will see to our passenger during the journey to Faelyn..."

[Go to Chapter 22]

Copyright©2006 by P.R. Parker. All rights reserved.


CWW Home
CWW Fiction Files
Passion Magic Fiction Files (for mature audiences only!)
Email @ MSNTV