Flames of Eldonia


Chapter 18

     In the dim light of the dawn sun, the Royal Palace's many servants began the day's duties. So much to do this morning, as any morning: clean and light the grates, draw hot water for baths, open draperies, dust, sweep, lay up breakfast trays. The list was endless although the servants simply went about their duties as if pre-programmed since birth. Indeed, in Eldonia, where each and every person's life path is predestined at birth, the servant class made no complaints about their station in life. Why should they? They are to be grateful to have jobs at all, and any grumbling about "unfairness" certainly would earn instant death, and it would not be pain free.
     One of the many junior housemaids, Myra, began the task of scrubbing the courtyard, literally getting down on hands and knees with brush and cloth, thoroughly scrubbing all grime and dirt from the intricately laid flagstones. Another servant, the gardener Tuc, trimmed shrubbery and trees, weeded flower beds, and cleared away debris blown in the night before. A daunting task to be sure, as each servant had to be quiet as church mice, taking care not to disturb the palace's inhabitants.
     "Whew!," whispered Myra to herself as she moved on to another part of the courtyard, "that's almost done. Thank the gods the stones aren't that dirty. Now, do the other end and I'll be finished."
     Taking her pail and brush, Myra traversed to the opposite end, as her usual pattern. She always started at the north end then worked her way to the middle, ending up on the southern side, the side just below the King's living quarters. She had always done it this way, thinking His Majesty would be up and about by the time she completed her task. Even so, she had to be extremely quiet and go about her job almost unnoticed, as if invisible and not calling attention to herself.
     As she approached the very area, Myra noticed what appeared to be a huge clump of trash. In this early morning light – not quite full sun – it was difficult to identify the thing. Perhaps it's a refuse bag Tuc set out to collect once his tasks are completed. Not good to leave one's supplies in plain view of the royal family or court, thought the maid.
     She wanted to call out to Tuc to come get this bag out of sight, but since he was on the other end of the courtyard, getting his attention without shouting was out of the question. With a shrug, she continued to go about her duties, concluding she'll have to move the bag herself. Myra set her pail on the stone floor, got down on her knees, then, taking her brush, began to scrub. She glanced every now and then at the bag, wondering what was inside, giving its curious shape. No refuse bag is shaped like that, even filled with trimmings and dead leaves. Her curiosity getting the better of her, Myra stood up and walked towards where the bag lay. Taking a closer look, her face blanched upon noticing a hand sticking out of folds of fine velvet. This was no bag; it was a man's body. Instantly Myra ran the length of the courtyard where Tuc had just finished weeding the flower beds. The moment she approached, she tugged at his sleeve, whispering frantically. Even in her fright, Myra dared not raise her voice.
     "Tuc!, Tuc!," she hissed, "There is a body lying on the south end! I swear it is! I can't tell who it is. From the looks if him, I think he fell out of the window. Do you think...?"

     Tuc, ever wary of nearby guards, at first wanted nothing to do with the discovery of a body in the courtyard. Without doubt, if he were to alert the guards, and this unfortunate man was indeed a noble or one of Vlaric's court, Tuc could be blamed for murder. This he said to Myra who insisted the guards would do nothing of the kind. This man, whoever he is, obviously met with some misfortune during the night. Perhaps he imbibed too much spirits or wine, thus he became inebriated, so much that he could not negotiate his way around the room. He most likely sat at the open window, leaned over too far, then fell out, simple as that.
     "But he landed just below the King's bedchamber window!," said Tuc heatedly, suddenly quieting his voice and looking about for any guard who may had overheard.
     Myra shook her head. "No, Tuc. Do not leave him here for others to find. If that happens, we could be blamed for sure. Think of it, Tuc. Two servants going about their work but find a body, only to ignore it and go on without alerting–"
    "All right, Myra," said Tuc. "Here, let me take a look at his face at least. If he is one of the King's court, or another noble, we should be able to identify him."

    Tuc gingerly removed the folds of the velvet mantle that obscured the man's face. Despite the poor soul's injuries, and they were grievous – bashed head, many open fractures, profuse bleeding – his face was still recognizable, and both Tuc and Myra gasped in horror.
     "His Majesty!," Myra said, covering her mouth as to trap an escaping scream. "He must have fallen out his window. Oh, sire..."
     "This is bad," said Tuc, who didn't know what else to do other than alert a nearby guard. "While I hate to think what they'll ask us. That is, if we had anything to do with the king's death. They will surely ask where we were during the night."
     "But," said Myra disbelievingly, "we are innocent. We had no idea His Majesty had fallen–"
    "Or," countered a now worried Tuc, "had been pushed. Think of that, Myra. With Prince Asen missing and all this talk of rebellion, someone could have gained access to the king's bedchamber. Perhaps they drugged him, maybe fought with him. They could have simply forced him to jump, or, in the worst case, forcibly pushed him. Whatever they ask us, Myra, we just tell them the truth. We knew nothing of Vlaric's death. We just found the body while going about our duties."

     That said, Myra nodded in agreement. Turning to alert the guards, she said to Tuc, "Better tell them now than let them discover His Majesty's body then throw suspicion on us."
     Immediately, Myra called to Gilles and Nasim, two guards who the servants trusted above all others. Thanks to the gods this pair was duty this morning; they were particular favorites among the palace's servants. Many times, the palace cook would prepare special refreshments for Gilles and Nasim, perhaps hot tea and cakes in winter or icy cold pearberry nectar in summer. During the winter festivals, the maids would give warm, hand-knitted mufflers and socks. In return for this kindness, the guards promised to look out for the palace's servants. Well, this time, Gilles and Nasim's understanding and kindness were sorely needed. The other guards, as they viewed the servants with contempt and suspicion, would, upon Myra and Tuc's report of finding the King's body, clap the pair in shackles before hearing them out.

     Upon Tuc's alert, the guards Gilles and Nasim hurried to the scene. The former dispatched other surrounding guards to seal the area; the latter ordered his under-corporeal to fetch Governor Banes. Since Prince Asen was still missing, and there was no one else to assume Vlaric's duties, it fell upon Banes to carry on.
     "Tuc," said Gilles, a tall, robustly handsome blond-haired man of thirty springs, "what happened? Tell me everything, and leave nothing out."
     Tuc proceeded to explain how Myra found the body, assuming it might have been one of Vlaric's court, or a member of the nobility. Myra reiterated that she and Tuc went on about their duties, not knowing a body was lying on the southern end of the courtyard.
     "I saw a big heap lying there," she said through her tears, "but I thought it was a refuse bag. Upon closer look, it was clear this was no bag, but a body. I had Tuc take a closer look, remove the poor man's cloak that obscured his face. We didn't know what else to do, so we summoned you. Oh, Gilles, please believe us; we had nothing to do with His Majesty's death."
     Tuc nodded, visibly shaken. He said, pointing upwards toward the upper-story window, "From the position of the body, we assumed he must have fallen out of the window."
     Gilles, obviously shaken himself from this latest tragedy, said, "Do not worry, my good man. I do not blame you nor should anyone else. Once Governor Banes arrives, tell him exactly what you told me. And don't touch anything. In my opinion, and I'm only guessing, this could have been an accident, but we'll know more once Banes and the Imperial Inspector arrives."
     That Imperial Inspector, to whom Gilles referred, was the foremost detective in all Eldonia. Arlen Argyle, who could trace his ancestry back to Quentin, began his career as personal detective to King Vort, Vlaric's father. It was he who personally conducted all criminal investigations, specializing in homicide. Arlen's methods were seldom questioned as he usually employed harsh interrogation coupled with brutal torture. So it was reasonable that Tuc and Myra had misgivings about reporting their monarch's unfortunate demise; Arlen would zero in on the servants as key suspects. However, once Banes arrived on the scene, this was not the case.

++++++

     "He had to have fallen," said Banes flatly upon examining the body. "Last night, His Majesty complained of a terrific headache, so he ordered a draught of his usual remedy made up. I left the king's chambers before the servant brought up the medicinal."
     Inspector Argyle, himself examining the body's position in relation to the upper-story window, fired off a volley of questions to Banes, "Who was this servant? What was in that tonic? Who was the last to see His Majesty alive?"
     Governor Banes, endeavoring to keep his anger in check, calmly replied, "The tonic is His Majesty's own concoction, especially prepared by Madame Kane, the royal housekeeper. I am sure she will tell you the precise contents therein. As I recall, Yakov, a young footman, brought up the tonic but was intercepted by Princess Jolende. She herself took His Majesty the medicine. From what the footman said, Her Highness remained with the king for some time. However, and I am sure you will not regard the princess as a suspect, Jolende had departed for Koror very early this morning. She is en route as we speak, on the Lemrac Express."
     Inspector Argyle swept his strong, short fingers through his dark hair. He couldn't interrogate the Kororian princess, and he certainly wouldn't grill Governor Banes. Such is not done even if the pair could be regarded as chief suspects. Again, carefully examining the body's position in relation to the angle of Vlaric's bedchamber window, Argyle made an educated guess that His Majesty could have merely fallen. Vlaric could have, under the medicinal's powerful effects, stood at the window, perhaps leaned too far then lost his footing. Yes, this could regarded as an accident, yet the chamber's interior itself would have to be thoroughly examined.
     "If it isn't any trouble, Your Grace," Argyle said to Banes, "I would like to inspect His Majesty's bedchamber. Also, I will need to take the cup, and the precise amounts of whatever ingredients therein. Perhaps, and I am not outright accusing your housekeeper of negligence, Madame Kane may have added too much of one herb or bitters. That cup still have enough residue, so it will need to be inspected by our chemists."

     Banes nearly panicked but quickly calmed as he recalled Jolende, after Vlaric took his fatal plunge, return to the room. She had little time to act as she deftly switched the cups. The cup wherein contained the tainted tonic had been disposed, its fate unknown, but it was gone nonetheless. Argyle's crime lab chemists will inspect that cup's contents and find nothing incriminating, just the usual herbs and bitters.
     Before Banes and Argyle entered the palace, the latter ordered his men to take the body to the provincial morgue, where it will remain until the investigation is complete. To this Banes protested vehemently.
     "Inspector," the governor said heatedly, his eyes blazing and mouth downturn in a scowl, "I know you are only following standard procedure, but this man was no ordinary citizen. This man was your King! As regent, I order you to release the body so preparations can be made–"
     Inspector Argyle eyed Banes coolly, replying, "Preparations? Your Grace, a crime may have been committed. Surely you will not impede the law–"
     "I am the law!," Banes shot back. "As King Vlaric, just yesterday, concluded his son may not return to assume the throne, His Majesty named me as ruler of Eldonia. That is, of course, if any misfortune befell him. Well, the king is dead! And the people have a right to know. Besides, someone must preside over this country at its most trying time. Prince Asen is still missing, kidnapped by all accounts. Our land is currently overrun by Benutian rebels who may, at this moment, are preparing to attack us at any time. Of all your duties, upholding law and order is first and foremost. Now, as your sovereign, I am ordering you to stop this nonsensical 'investigation'. As you said, the king's death was accidental. A tragic demise indeed, but nothing more than an accident. Your presence here is unwanted, so begone!"
     Banes, his cold steel-gray eyes still glowering hate and contempt, swept his hand to his guards, not the kindly Gilles and Nasim, but two burly men who were extremely loyal to Vlaric and Banes.
     "These men will escort you off the property. If you insist to conduct this so-called investigation, if you insist to befoul Vlaric's body with your 'examinations', my men will arrest you at once. Now, get out of my sight!"

     That said, Banes swept from the scene, leaving Argyle quite dumbfounded. Is he mad?, thought the inspector. There is something not quite right. Here, not seconds ago, Banes cooperated fully, answering questions, providing pertinent information. Now, especially since he is ruler of Eldonia, Banes shows his colors, his full cruel nature. Argyle, in full realization that he could find himself in the infamous Eldonian dungeons, turned at Tuc and Myra, the pair who first discovered the body.
     He asked, "Anyone else who could have been with the King before he died?"
     Myra replied, "Just Aughir, the royal steward. But he retired to his private chambers early. I know because I took up a cup of goldenberry tea to him. He remained in his room all night. Just ask the guards on last night's duty. Aughir always has two guards placed on his door."
     To that Inspector Argyle replied, "Then I'll speak to the royal steward regarding this incident, as I still insist the king met with foul play. Aughir probably yet doesn't know what happened to his king, and he may know more of King Vlaric's last visitors."
     Knowing the guards watched his every move, Argyle, before he left, slipped something to Tuc, whispering, "Take my card. Contact me if you stumble upon any important information. And watch that Banes fellow. I never liked him, and I believe he knows more than he's letting on. Oh yes, your maids may want to search Princess Jolende's chambers. Anything suspicious is to be turned over to me at once!"

++++++

     If Inspector Argyle had asked for the royal steward's immediate presence, he would had to wait. For Aughir wasn't presently within the royal palace. He had left much earlier, before dawn, and headed for the Oaken Bucket tavern on, the same place where the king's spy Globbock spent much time. Aughir, taking care not to be discovered as the rebel 'mole', decided a hasty meeting of the urban rebel cell was necessary. If that was King Vlaric he saw falling out of the window last night, then Governor Banes most likely has already made himself regent. With Banes acting as Eldonian ruler, the Benutian rebellion may not go off as planned. That weapon, although it was a fake, still in its crate at the train station, could be deployed at any time, and Banes would, giving his astute nature, discover the switch.
     "But it will be too late," muttered Aughir as he waited for key members of the alliance to gather in the tavern's cellar. No Globbock or his many minions hanging around this early morning, as Aughir had hoped.

     The half dozen rebels, only a fraction of those operating in the capital city of Tyq, met in the cramped cellar. These people, all who reported directly to Aughir, were the alliance's most important members. They relayed vital information amongst the others, and on this morning, the rebels prepared to take drastic action in light of the current state of affairs.
     They gathered around Aughir who said, "The King is dead, for I saw him fall from his window last night. I know for a fact Governor Banes and Princess Jolende poisoned Vlaric, and that the third member of this assassination plot, Sadius, most likely met with foul play. Time is of the essence as Banes has, of now, assumed his role as ruler over all Eldonia."
     Enos, the leader of the Tyq cell, said, "With Banes in charge, our alliance may no longer operate in the secrecy we, so far, enjoyed. Banes will surely increase the spies, have our cells infiltrated."
     Alys, a middle-aged Benutian healer who also knew Aughir's birth parents, rejoined, "Globbock has yet to relay the weapon switch. Oh yes, he knows, thanks to that Iacho who, right now, is with the Benutian cell at Amarah's Castle. I worry all our hard work, all the fine planning, will be for naught. With Vlaric dead, no doubt Banes will pressure Globbock to step up the espionage."

     Aughir nodded; and, knowing the whole of Eldonia will be in mourning for their departed king, the people will be caught off guard. What better time to put the final phase of the rebellion's into motion. The safety of those peoples loyal to Benut Province and the alliance's objectives was paramount, so Aughir gave his people final instructions.
     "Let Banes make his speech to the people. No doubt he'll blame the Benutians for Vlaric's death. Therefore, he'll have ample cause to deploy that weapon. For us, I give this order: Gather all our people stationed in Tyq and make haste to Starfield House. Banes will, and I know this as fact, bombard the place with what he believes are phérium bombs. Do not worry, for those bombs are harmless niuvite which will serve as protection from the real onslaught."
     He turned to Enos, saying, "Once everyone is safely sheltered, activate the ignition packs. But not before retrieving our precious cargo stashed beneath the statue of Queen Indria. Within that chest contains the secret which will reclaim our land. Now, all of you, make haste to Starfield House. Do not leave the shelter until all of Eldonia is finally released from the grip of centuries-old oppression."
     Enos understood, but he still had reservations, particularly concerning two spies.
     To that Aughir said, "They will be dealt with. As we speak, Princess Evore has dispatched Lan to Cape Amorra. There Globbock and his minion Iacho will be learn the price of betrayal...As will all of those who've oppressed and betrayed our peoples..."

[Go to Chapter 19]

Copyright©2006 by P.R. Parker. All rights reserved.


CWW Home
Contact Author/Webmistress