Flames of Eldonia


Chapter 16

     Aughir, finally able to steal some time to himself, retired to his private quarters. It had been a trying day. Firstly, King Vlaric's constant fretting over the missing Prince Asen put Aughir on edge. Not that the royal steward wasn't concerned for Asen's safety, on the contrary, but His Majesty's mad rantings and threats to put down the Benutian rebellion gave Aughir pause. He didn't want to see his home country destroyed, its beloved governor put to death on a trumped-up charged of treason.
     Oh, Aughir had firsthand information that Asen "disappeared" on purpose, and that the legendary descendent of the goddess-queen Amarah at last washed up on the shores only days ago. Aughir wanted nothing more than to see the entire, brutal Eldonian regime brought to its knees. The King's steward relished the secret that was he who headed the rebel cell stationed in Tyq. It was he who told the rebels of key weak spots throughout the city, and it was he who suggested the rebels fan out, and he told them exactly where to plant those phérium spikes. Aughir also knew of the mislabelled crates still sitting on the loading dock at Glasswell Station. All that was needed on his part was to play along with Vlaric, be the rebels' eyes and ears from within the palace. Being a close associate to the Crown gave Aughir opportunities unmatched. From his position he was able to inform his comrades of the King's every word and deed, and this latest drama with summoning the entire Eldonian armed forces to attack and pillage Benut Province was the last straw.
     "It was I who alerted Mitra, via Evore's moth spies," he said to himself as he settled in a chair with a cup of goldenberry tea. "She conjured the fog which obstructed the fleet's progress. Then she summoned her loyal companions from the deep to crush the fleet. The entire Eldonian navy wiped out in the blink of an eye. Vlaric doesn't know this, yet, and he will never know. Nor will he learn of another, more devastating attack upon his own capital city..."
     For years, ever since King Vort put down the last Benutian rebellion which resulted in Aughir's parents' deaths, the royal steward worked tirelessly and secretly with this new rebel alliance. As he reasoned, those previous resistance efforts failed so miserably because there was no one on the inside to gather and pass along valuable information. With this current movement, the rebels had to be more vigilent with whom they associate. Vlaric had spies all over the country, in every city, town, village, and rural community. This was why Aughir suggested the rebels seek out help from the Nemirian fairy princess Evore, and appeal to Mitra, guardian of Cape Amorra. The rebels would have to secure key positions and jobs within the Eldonian government itself. Even a job as lowly as barmaid or bootblack would gain that intimate contact with the employees' "betters", innocently extracting information about weaknesses within the kingdom.
     Aughir noticed something else: the unusual relationship between Banes and Princess Jolende. How close their relationship was, too close for a future queen consort and a public official.

     Aughir's keen eye once caught the Chalouian governor and Kororian princess during an evening stroll through the courtyard. There they were, concealed by thick shrubbery and darkness, locked in a passionate embrace. Aughir hung back long enough to catch their words and movements. He heard part of their secret plot to overthrow King Vlaric, but not for noble reasons, far from it. What Banes and Jolende schemed was so outlandish, so incredibly low, Aughir felt it wise to inform his sovereign. Yet, with the rebel alliance growing stronger, their own plans for freeing the country of centuries-old tyranny finally resulting in victory, Aughir believed he should remain silent. If Vlaric continues to put his faith in people like Banes and Jolende, then let him see the fruits of his folly.
     Aughir had an inkling Sadius may have had a role in this crazy scheme, so he had the man followed. Several highly trained rebel spies watched the Kororian governor's every move, where he went, who he spoke to. At last report, Sadius was seen boarding the Lemrac Express this very evening with a pair of soldiers from the Royal Guard. Obviously, the steward surmised, Sadius has been deemed expendable by Banes, thus his trip to his homeland will be his last. Aughir had no doubts Banes would order the co-conspirator murdered, so the rebel spies boarded that same train.
     Unfortunately, with Sadius safely tucked away in his very private rail car, those spies had no way to prevent a cold-blooded killing. Sadius, despite his own nefarious role in Banes' plot, and his dull nature, was a pleasant fellow. It seemed to Aughir that Sadius could, if expertly persuaded, reveal the entire scheme before Banes inflicted any more damage. Armed with that crucial information, both Banes and Jolende would certainly be arrested, tried, and executed for treason and assassination. As for Sadius, he could turn state's evidence, perhaps receive immunity from prosecution if he cooperated. That, Aughir thought with a smirk, would frost Sadius' partners in crime. The third player gets off scot-free while his co-conspirators face the chopping block.
     However, Sadius' fate was still unknown, and Aughir worried that the rebel spies may have met the same bloody end. All Aughir learned just this evening, hours after Sadius' departure was via a message from Elana, the barmaid from the Oaken Bucket tavern and also a rebel spy. That cryptic message read: "All taken care of. Gar and Bliss will dispatch our cargo to Faelyn."
     Faelyn was Nemir's provincial seat, and why the precious cargo would be spirited there is anyone's guess. Oh well, thought Aughir, perhaps they know what they're doing...

     It was late, and King Vlaric was still awake, or so Aughir gathered by the light still on in His Majesty's private chambers. Looking out his window, the steward could see, across the courtyard, shadows going back and forth. Perhaps it is Vlaric, pacing the room as was his habit when he became deeply agitated. Yet, Aughir, from his vantage point, could plainly see another form moving about the room. This was not a man's figure, but a woman's. Maybe it's Jolende, or a chambermaid. Aughir began to have a sick feeling that the plot to assassinate Vlaric was coming to a head. No, Aughir didn't want his sovereign to die horribly; and, despite his role in the rebel alliance, he was bound by an oath to the Crown and sense of duty.

     Then again, with the success of the Benutian rebellion close at hand, the royal steward ruminated letting Jolende kill Vlaric, let Banes handle the king's "assassination" as he sees fit. Perhaps allowing those conspirators to think their scheme is working – especially after successfully murdering the King then place blame on other, obvious people – is the break the rebels had hope for.
     After all, that long line of Eldonian rulers coupled with the inherent cruelty and corrupt nature of the elites, nobles, and public officials shared a suspicious streak. It was no secret, to the Benutians and Nemirians, the entire Eldonian regime depended upon the complacent ignorance of the general populace. As long as people are led to believe they – those Eldonians who swear allegiance to the Crown and tow the line – are "superior" to outsiders, meaning the natives of Benut and Nemir provinces, respectively, the royals and aristocracy can do as they pleased.
     Aughir, once perusing through historical tomes and personal papers usually kept from the general populace, learned that, from Thomas I to the Vlaric, Eldonia was built upon corruption, intrigue, murder, scheming, backstabbing, and outright lying to the people. Centuries of usurping property and resources, genocidal campaigns (such as Vlaric's command to kill first-born Benutian babies), suppression of any dissension within the ranks, harsh punishment for the least offenses, and ostentatiously brutal and gruesome public executions were all perfectly and carefully orchestrated to keep the people in line.

     "It ends now," Aughir said to himself as he quickly scribbled a note. Going once again to the window, he removed a curious device from his pocket, a whistle of sorts especially made to summon Aughir's own personal spies. The whistle made no audible noise, much like a dog whistle. The sound could only be heard by Aughir's own spies. He paused long enough to hear scuffle outside his bedchamber door. Ah, those two harlots Jolende sent to keep him "occupied", instantly arrested as soon as they stepped foot on the top step. Aughir would have to thank his rebel compatriots for rigging a silent alarm which alerted of any intruder within ten feet of his chambers. He chuckled as he could hear Cyprelle and Venvula curse and protest, "We've done nothing wrong! Wait until Princess Jolende and King Vlaric hear of this outrage!"

    My dears, Aughir thought to himself, your precious king and princess will never learn of your untimely arrest and incarceration. For Vlaric is about to meet his fate at Jolende's hand. Besides, once Jolende has done her dirty deed, she'll be on the way back to Koror per instructions from Banes himself. Her Highness' ladies will be held in an undisclosed location somewhere within the city until they can be deported to Koror. They will never suspect those guards are actually of the rebel alliance, and they will be merely told the "arrest" was a security precaution ordered by the King himself. Can't be too careful these uncertain days, and can't have unauthorized persons traipsing all over the palace...

     Oh well, that is done, now to deliver this message. Asen may not like this news, but he has a right to know what has become of his father.

     Aughir blew once on the whistle. Within seconds those same moth spies, now accompanied by a much larger moth, a giant Benutian Birdwing with a wingspan comparable to that of an eagle's.
     Tucking the note in the insect's massive, protruding probiscus, Aughir said, "Deliver this to Evore. Then make haste to Amarah's Castle. Make sure Prince Asen himself receives the message about his father. Then have the reinforcements surround the city. Those phérium spikes will go off the moment Banes orders that missile deployed. Things shall go right this time, my friends. There shall be no mistakes, no failures. At last, we shall be free from everything Eldonia and Indria's dream of a united land shall finally come true."

[Go to Chapter 17]

Copyright©2006 by P.R. Parker. All rights reserved.


CWW Home
CWW Fiction Files
Passion Magic Fiction Files (for mature audiences only!)
Email @ MSNTV