Flames of Eldonia


Chapter 14

     Sipping from the cup of wine Aughir had poured him, King Vlaric could find no solace. Despite the sweet, soothing elderberry wine, His Majesty was still despondent, listless even. There was no word from his army or navy; no one could tell him if his son had been found. Communiques had been sent to Admiral Winfred and Captain La Gras, but not one response crossed Vlaric's desk. Something had gone wrong, and naturally Vlaric suspected the Benutians had somehow managed to sabotage the search for the kidnapped Prince Asen.
      It was all Chenek's fault, His Majesty bitterly ruminated. If he hadn't drummed up this latest resistance movement then Asen would be here preparing for his marriage to Jolende. If Chenek had not meddled and left things as they are, his beloved country would not be facing imminent annihilation. Obviously, Vlaric thought, Chenek has no idea of this Ultimate Weapon that has the capacity to destroy an entire region with one blow. Well, if Chenek and his pathetic band of rebels think they can intimidate the entire Eldonian armed forces and flaunt the King's authority, they will have a rude awakening once Benut is reduced to rubble. Vlaric had promised to bring Chenek and his ilk to a dear account, and he will personally put Chenek to death once the turncoat governor is captured.

     Looking up at Aughir who still stood by the desk, Vlaric asked, "You do know of your origins, do you?"
     Aughir merely replied, "Yes, Your Majesty. I know my parents were from Benut, that they died when I was a young boy. A noble couple adopted me, schooled me in ways of the Eldonian aristocracy. If it any comfort, I do not remember much of my former life nor my native culture."
     Vlaric smiled slightly, saying, "I am glad you've discarded those awful native ways, Aughir. You are an example that one can be taken from the land of his birth and reared in ways that makes one forget those backward native habits. I'm sorry to say that your birthplace hasn't evolved into a country of which one could be proud. Benut is a hopeless case. People still cling to their outdated customs, still worship a deity that never answers their prayers, still indulge in the silly and dangerous practice of magic."

     As always, whenever Vlaric went off on these characteristic tirades against the Benutians, Aughir said nothing. The King's Royal Steward was very much aware of his Benutian heritage and still held dear his homeland's culture and history. To hear Vlaric vilify these gentle, freedom loving people set Aughir on edge. He wished he could just walk away from his vocation, return to the simple country boy he was, forget he ever let that couple adopt him.
     "Sire," he said, trying to hold his outrage in check, "if you do not require my services anymore, I would like to retire to my room."
     King Vlaric, still sipping on the wine, didn't look up, saying, "No, Aughir, I need nothing else...Oh, before you retire for the night, have my special tonic made up. I feel one of my terrific headaches coming on."
     "Very good, sire," replied Aughir as he rang the bell for the footman. Then, without looking directly into the king's eyes, he added, "Sire, do you think they have killed the prince? Not to be pessimistic, Your Majesty, but one does hear of kidnap victims meeting with foul play."

     Vlaric shook his head and said, "No, they wouldn't dare harm Asen. The crimes against them are grave enough, and they know if Asen is as much as bruised, their people and country are doomed. No, Aughir, Asen lives. Just in what capacity I do not know."
     Aughir prepared to reply but the footman's knock on the door interrupted his train of thought.

     The boy tentatively entered the room, totally in awe of his king and royal steward's presence. Not quite twenty, this lithesome, slender youth with long black hair and bright brown eyes deftly straightened his simple black doublet, making sure his appearance was presentable. The young footman, Yakov, quietly cleared his throat then addressed his sovereign.
     "What is your will, Your Majesty?"

     King Vlaric, not looking up from the mess of maps spread across his desk, said flatly, "Yakov, have Madame Kane make up my special remedy. She will know what it is, then bring it up post-haste."
     Yakov clicked his heels – an action required of all servants when a command is given and acknowledged – then immediately exited the room.
     Vlaric turned to his steward and said, "Aughir, I do not require you anymore this evening. However, if any news from the navy or army arrives, please wake me, no matter what the hour."
     Aughir bowed, replying, "As your will, sire," then quietly left the king's chambers.

++++++

     Despite the ensuing chaos now raging in faraway Benut, the Eldonian capital of Tyq was calm as if oblivious to the secret machinations and schemes from all sides. The clear midnight blue sky, studded with twinkling stars and brilliant full moon, lent an air of peace. It was under these stars, in the sumptuous royal gardens, a clandestine meeting took place. The trio involved concluded the garden, in the dead of night, would be the perfect place to put the final touches on their nefarious plot.
     Governors Banes and Sadius, thanks to a timely message from the young footman Yakov, at last could put their plan in motion. All had to go like clockwork lest the plot be discovered. Banes had already taken care of the footman; he sent Yakov on an errand that would keep the boy away from the Royal Palace much of the evening. Sadius would board the last train to Lemrac, the Kororian regional seat. The excuse for returning home? Sadius had already sent a message via special courier to King Vlaric. Seemed the Kororian governor had to take care of urgent business at home, such as the possibility of Benutian rebels penetrating the border in a land invasion. His Majesty understood this, even gave Sadius a pair of Royal Guards to act as bodyguards lest a hotheaded Benutian attempts assassination.
     As for Princess Jolende, she already had her part down pat. She would personally take the medicinal to the ailing monarch, play the concerned lady, engage him in small talk, and express sorrow about her missing fiance.

     There was one catch: What to do with the royal steward, Aughir. Even though he had retired to his chambers for the night, Aughir was still on call. If any news came from the Eldonian troops stationed in Benut, he was to relay that information to the King post-haste. Besides, Aughir was His Majesty's eyes and ears. Whatever went on within the palace walls did not escape detection.
     "We must," said Sadius, looking about as if spies were afoot in the gardens, "keep Aughir occupied. Why couldn't he be sent on a long errand?"
     Banes shook his head, partially in disgust at his colleague's asinine suggestion. Send the King's steward on an errand, as one would send a servant? Preposterous!
     The Chalouian governor and Jolende had already thought out what to do with Aughir.

     "Sadius," said Jolende in her breathy, sultry voice, "Don't worry about the royal steward, as I have it all covered."
     She giggled, then said, "Imagine the noble, oh-so strait-laced Aughir, all alone in his chambers. Let's just say he will receive a special visitor tonight."
     To this Banes laughed heartily. In his deep, smooth baritone, he said, "So that is what will prevent Aughir from coming to his sovereign's aid. Jolende, you are so clever! Now, we must go back inside. Make sure that servant has the medicinal ready."

     The dastardly trio wrapped their business, finalizing their plans to assassinate King Vlaric, Banes naming himself as temporary successor to His Majesty. What of Asen? What if the prince should suddenly reappear?
     Again, the Chalouian governor had that angle covered. He laid it all out to his partners in crime:
     "After all of Eldonia mourns the loss of their beloved king, after Vlaric is laid to rest, I shall address the people that His Majesty had, in his last decree, that I, Governor Banes, take charge of the country as temporary ruler. Surely the people will understand and abide by their late king's wishes. The search for Prince Asen will not abate. All our armed forces shall continue to comb Benut Province, endeavoring to find His Highness alive and unharmed. However, I shall plant a little fire under our people by accusing the Benutians of kidnapping the prince, plotting to overthrow the Crown, thus resulting in Vlaric's death. You see, why not place blame on the very thugs we wish to destroy? Why, the people will be up in arms, calling for the immediate annihilation of Benut."

     At this, Sadius still wondered if, "The prince does indeed return unharmed and alive. What if His Highness, as Vlaric suspects, thanks to his believing Jolende's well-placed lies, is in cahoots with the rebels? Asen may, upon his return, oust us from power. We could, Banes, facing execution for treason."
     Banes smiled thinly, revealing his perfectly white teeth, a reptilian smile if anything. Forming his long patrician fingers into a steeple, he replied, "Ah, Sadius, that is where I shall play my trump card. It is obvious Asen is hidden somewhere in Benut. He may not learn of his father's death, never will if I can help it. No, for once our loyal subjects – the ones deserving to live and thrive in our country – accept me as their ruler, I shall deploy that weapon at once. With Asen still in Benut, he will die with the rest of those savages. Alas, when the news arrives of Benut's destruction, I shall say to the people that the Benutian rebels killed His Highness in cold blood. That troublesome province had to be destroyed in retaliation."

     Both Sadius and Jolende nearly laughed out loud, in anticipated triumph. Banes so meticulously planned their quiet deposition of the current lineage of Eldonian rulers. With the complete destruction of Benut, the pending execution of Governor Chenek and any surviving rebels, Banes looked forward to years of total reign over all Eldonia. He literally salivated over his next target: the destruction of Nemir. But that will have to wait. For now, it was getting Vlaric out of the way that took top priority.
     Once Jolende performed her part in Vlaric's assassination, she would herself return to Koror. There she would wait until Banes fulfilled the entire scheme's goals. She would return to Tyq and take her place at Banes' side as empress.
     As for Sadius, he had no idea what his role in Banes' new government would be. For now, he preferred not to ask, as it was not the best time to do so. He said his good nights then hurried to Glasshouse Station in order to board the last train to Koror. Those two guards would be, as Banes promised, waiting for Sadius on the platform. The Kororian governor would remain in the Kororian Embassy, in the provincial seat of Lemrac, until Banes sent for him. Under no circumstances, warned Banes, should Sadius attempt to return to Tyq lest the people raise suspicions.
     Just before leaving Sadius asked, "Banes, what about the phérium? With Benut destroyed, we lose our only source of our powers."
     Banes nodded, saying, "My good man, why do you think we had the Benutians work in those mines overtime? Why, we have hundreds of crates filled with phérium sitting on the dock of the train station now. It only is awaiting pickup and distribution. Now, don't worry about your precious crystals, as there is plenty to last through the next century, perhaps beyond. Now, you'd better be on your way, Sadius, lest you miss that train, thus upsetting our plans. You don't want mere carelessness to jeopardize what we've worked so hard to achieve."

     After Sadius left, Banes escorted Jolende back inside the palace. In the corridor, just as they rounded the corner to the staircase leading to Vlaric's private chambers, the Governor of Chalou Province said to the Kororian Princess:
     "When you return to your homeland, keep your distance from Sadius. He tends to be a loose cannon, and I want the pair of you not to cross paths. After we've finished all parts of our little scheme, only you will return to Tyq."
     Jolende didn't quite understand. She asked, "And when will Sadius return to take his part in our new empire?"

     Banes smiled broadly, kissing his lover on the cheek, replying, "All in good time, my dear. All in good time."

[Go to Chapter 15]

Copyright©2006 by P.R. Parker. All rights reserved.


CWW Home
CWW Fiction Files
Passion Magic Fiction Files (for mature audiences only!)
Email @ MSNTV