american dragon

Chapter 10

It is so incredible, this tale Neva related so many months ago. When Zoe was indeed found alive and well, her father Richard had no idea his only child was the target of a 15th Century madman, and that she was under the protection of an actual dragon. The dragon, christened Neva by a 15th Century Italian navigator, told Richard and Nathan everything: the curse placed upon her family, how Dato sold his soul for what he thought was immortality, and how the Kendalls are direct descendents of Fabio D'Amato. There was also the revelation that the real Steven Dix was killed years ago by Dato, and the evil Venetian nobleman literally took over the man's body. Richard was flabbergasted when he learned that Dato/Steven had the Kendalls within his sites, and plotted Zoe's kidnapping. The madman had intended to kill Zoe right after he slew Neva. That is why, according to Neva, the ransom demand was a full scraping of Richard's Centralia Square project. Apparently, Dato learned that Neva resided in the vicinity of the old theater but hadn't quite pinpointed her lair's precise location. It totally escaped him that Neva lived right under the very building where he had Andy and Donna stash their precious cargo. That is until Zoe, under the influence of that blue orb, ventured outside the theater, thus encountering Dato.

And that was an adventure Richard couldn't get over! His own daughter, transformed into the persona of Inez, her Afro-Italian ancestor, soundly defeated the evil Venetian. Odd that the same blue orb found its way to Richard and Nate's feet that day as they waited for the cops to secure the building. That was the day Neva sent that cryptic letter, and that Richard was ultimately reunited with Zoe.
But there were still unanswered questions: What is the deal with the orb? And exactly how are the Kendalls related to Fabio? Neva explained all: how she, still unhatched, was stowed aboard the Doña Lucia; how Fabio, through his curiosity, freed her; how the ship wrecked off the North American coast. She related how Fabio and Bjørn, the sole survivors, lasted just hours after their landing, not knowing that the country was indeed the future "New World". Then Neva told of Fabio and his family.

The Italian navigator left behind a wife, Piera, and several children. The youngest, Salvatore, would grow up to follow in his father's footsteps, even traveled with Columbus' last voyage. Now, on that final voyage to the New World, Salvatore brought his African servant/mistress, Inez. She was a direct descendent of Ottah, a legendary, ancient shaman who defeated the dark wizard Iroth. Anyway, Salvatore and Inez settled in Hispaniola; their later descendents would move on to Florida, in the Pensacola area, where they remained there. They intermarried with Florida's Black and Indian population, producing a line of strong children. They become independently wealthy, plying various trades and skills. But all that changed once the Americans came and took Florida from the Spanish. With the Americans fully in power, Salvatore and Inez's descendents' status changed overnight. No longer were they considered freed men and women. In fact, the mere color of their skin made them the target of fortune-seeking slave hunters. Neva, keeping herself at a great distance as not wanting to be seen by humans, grieved for Salvatore's family. Never had she seen such cruelty aimed at an entire race of people.

One such man, Giovanno, suffered just that. He was Salvatore's great-great-great grandson, and at the tender age of seventeen, he was kidnapped in Pensacola by slave hunters. Giovanno was obviously mistaken for another man who had escaped a Georgia plantation. Nonetheless, he was quickly renamed "John" and taken to a Mississippi plantation where he remained until Emancipation. "John" stayed on in Mississippi after the war, suffered the lost of his first wife and children at the hands of nightriders during those touch-and-go days of Reconstruction. Only one daughter survived to marry and produce several children, one of which would travel North to Chicago in 1918. And the dragon Neva, knowing that Facio's family will live on, moved to Chicago that same year, taking up residence beneath the still-thriving Centralia theatre. From her crystal chamber, she could chart the progress of this new southern transplant and rejoice in her many successes.

Sarah Naylor, Giovanno's granddaughter, arrived in Chicago armed with a teaching degree and a burning desire to succeed. She secured a job on the South Side, in the heart of the famous Black Belt, then met and married James Kendall that same year. What joys it gave Neva to see love blossom. But there were tears the following year as the infamous "Red Summer of 1919" with its deadly riots and so many people killed. Neva just weathered all this catastrophe, hoping that Sarah and James would at last fulfill the prophecy which would spell the end of Dato. Oh yes, that was another thing Neva had to worry about. Dato had tracked the dragon to America but didn't quite know where to look. He still bided his time, and Neva took great pains not to be seen by humans. She seldom ventured outside her lair, preferring to monitor human activity from her magic mirror.

But getting back to Sarah and James...

In the year 1940, at the age of 44, Sarah gives birth to her "miracle" baby. She had three children prior to this one, but suffered painful, even life-threatening miscarriages thereafter. James didn't want his wife to suffer through another when she announced she was pregnant again, but she insisted on carrying the child to term. She did, with some difficulty, and brought forth a strong baby boy who she promptly named Richard. Yes, this was Zoe's father, who in 1975 married Althea Glover. Their only child, Zoe, was born not until 1977. Alas, the happy family's bliss didn't last long, as Althea was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 1996. Even with aggressive chemo and radiation therapy, Althea finally gave up the fight, dying in the fall of 2000.

******

Richard's nerves seemed to calm down the moment he saw his daughter all aglow in her wedding finery. This was to be a happy day so there was no time for looking back on the previous months. He was just ecstatic that Zoe had survived her ordeal. The wedding itself was quite the extravaganza, with all of Chicago's elite invited. Oh yes, being a real estate tycoon had its rewards, and since the Centralia Square project was finally underway, life seemed to look up for the Kendalls. The only thing on Richard, Zoe, and Nathan's minds was that Neva would not be in attendance. The dragon, as far as they knew, had abandoned her magnificent crystal chamber and was en route to other environs. Apparently the dragon had felt she may in danger if she ever showed her face again.

Not even Zoe's protests, "Please stay in Chicago! You'll be so missed!," did not faze Neva. No, their draconic friend said, it is time to move on to a place where she can live the balance of her life in peace, away from prying eyes. OK, so Neva had missed the wedding of the year, and it the only low point for Zoe. But what did it matter? Zoe completely understood, and while she and Nate exchanged vows, she hoped and prayed that, somehow, Neva would show up right there in the church. But, no, that possibly isn't meant to be.

******

The reception was THE social event of the season. Richard Kendall spared no expense as this was his only child, and Althea would give her blessing. She would have insisted that Zoe have the most lavish wedding affordable. Wedding guests poured into the Drake Hotel, an apt setting for Zoe and Nathan's joyous day. Even the weather cooperated on this balmy October evening. Not too cool and no rain in site. The hotel itself, with its Old World charm and 1920's chic decor, seemed apropos.
The bride was gorgeous beyond compare. Not wanting to wear the strapless, sleeveless gowns so popular these days, Zoe chose to wear her mother's gown, a fairy tale princess dress rich with ivory satin and lace. OK, so that's something old, the shoes are something new, Frannie lent her pearl necklace for something borrowed. And what was something blue? Zoe, in a rush to get her wedding plans in order, didn't have time to consider that. Oh well, it's not as if it's bad luck to lack a traditional item. Besides, Zoe felt that all she went through last spring there can't be ANYTHING that would stop her and Nathan's happiness.
The joyful bride and groom greeting their guests in the receiving line, most of them family, the others close friends. Some were Richard's business partners, others were Nathan's academic colleagues from Northwestern. She thought her smile would crack off soon. Her feet ached from all that standing in high-heeled peau de soie shoes. And if the guests wishing her and Nathan congratulations weren't family or close friends, Zoe had a hard time recalling a vague face or name. But she took it all in stride.
One elderly lady approached the couple; she was a virtual unknown as no one could positively identify her. Perhaps, reasoned Richard, this woman was obviously a hotel guest and got lost in the building. She was a petite lady with bluish white hair, lithesome build and movements, and sparkling golden eyes. Must be over seventy or eighty years old, thought Zoe. However, when the woman extended her hand to Zoe and spoke, her identity was instantly known.

"My dear friend," she said, shaking Zoe's hand followed by a lovingly sisterly kiss to the cheek, "never do I venture out in public, but I had to transform myself to be here. I wouldn't miss your wedding day."  Zoe instantly cried on the spot. She embraced the friend who she thought had up and left Chicago, never to return.
"Neva," she quietly sobbed, "you are here."  Neva, still holding Zoe as she were her mother, smiled and said, "Zoe, I am here, and I wanted to give this to you."
She reached into her tiny beaded evening bag and pulled out an item that Zoe recognized right away. "The blue orb!," the bride exclaimed. "But why did you bring it?"
"I received word that you were in need of 'something blue'. Besides, I wanted to present it to you as a token of love and friendship. You did wonders for me, Zoe. Don't ever lose this as it's quite powerful."

Zoe grinned, dried her eyes, saying, "So you're giving this as a wedding present?"
Neva replied, "Yes, so please do not let anyone else other than yourself, your father, or your husband use it. We all know what might've happened if Dato had access to this."

Now Nathan fully understood. He didn't want to believe that an actual dragon lived beneath Centralia Square, or that Neva would be the one who saved Zoe from certain death. Oh yes, he knew all about the Kendalls' family history and the dragon's role in that history. He also learned that the blue orb held magical properties, one of which was bestowing the gift of foreshadowing and shape-shifting. This is why Dato wanted the orb, as a means to defeat Neva, but the tables turned as the orb's powers worked against the 500+ year old Venetian nobleman.

"Neva,"  Zoe asked, finally taking a break from her bridal chores (She had to sit down!), "are you still leaving Chicago?"  Neva never answered Zoe but turned the girl's attentions to other matters. She said to Nate and Zoe, "There is one more guest you have yet to greet."  She nodded her head to the little family sitting at the table nearest the bridal party. Zoe didn't recognize any of these people: a thirty-something woman with her three children and an older man who obviously must be the grandfather.

"Don't you know the man, Zoe?"

Zoe and Nathan got a good look at the elderly gentleman all dressed in a stylish formal suit, white shirt, and gleaming new shoes. He was chatting with Richard and introduced the woman and youngsters. Richard Kendall spotted his daughter and son-in-law then motioned to both of them to come on over. Curiosity got the better of Zoe as she and Nate made their way towards the old man's table. Of course, on the way, they had to stop and greet more guests, exchange more pleasantries. When they arrived at the table, Zoe nearly fainted. Can this man be...?
"Hi, Zoe," the man said. "And hey there, Nathan. Congratulations! I thought, and you thought it too, that this day would never come."
"Bud?," said Zoe with a blink. Indeed it was Bud, that same old homeless man who rescued her from captivity. Only now he was no longer in ragged clothing. His white hair was neatly cropped, the clothes were new, elegant. He even had a manicure!
"Yep," he said, "and I got all cleaned up and..."

He almost forgot to introduce his family. "Zoe and Nathan, I want you to meet my daughter, Thelma, and my grandbabies."  He pointed out each of the kids, announcing their names with pride. "That's Stanley. He's twelve, and that's Marcus and he's eight. And that little cutie is Latisha, and she just turned four."
Thelma greeted the Kellermans with warmth and charm. She said, "If that woman hadn't said she found my father alive and well, then we all wouldn't be here..."
Her eyes scanned the crowd, but she couldn't recognize the woman who relayed such good news. "I thought she would be here. She told me that Daddy helped you out of jam." Zoe, looking about, said, "But she is here. Nate and I spoke to her just moments ago..." S

he barely got the words out when Neva, still in human form, approached the table. She had done her good deed for Eldon, and she traveled to South Bend just to seek out the daughter Eldon thought long gone. What a boon all this turned out to be. And how wonderful to know that Thelma, a divorced single mother spent years frantically looking for her father. Now, because of Neva's timely intervention, that reunion was a long overdue, bittersweet, reality. Thelma never held any grudges against her father; she realized he has issues with drinking and gambling. Perhaps a hardscrabble existence on the streets helped him see the light; perhaps it was meeting Neva all along that got the man to clean up his act. Bud had to explain, "You see, Zoe, that's why Neva left after you and she got rid of that Dato dude."
Thelma looked puzzled, so did the kids. "Daddy, I thought you said that a hit man held you hostage, and that someone kidnapped Zoe, and you met a woman named Neva, but who is Dato?"  Bud just laughed, saying, "All in good time, baby. Now, let's have some fun. This is a happy day, and I've been wanting to dance with the bride, that is if her daddy and husband don't mind."
To this Nathan smiled and replied, "Not at all, sir. After all, if it hadn't been for you..."

He felt Zoe squeeze his hand. She leaned over and whispered, "Nate, it's all over. And now, I want to dance with my husband."

******

What joys come out of pain and tribulation. The newlyweds were soon seen off by a throng of family and friends. Zoe wondered, even as she and Nate were peppered with birdseed and rice as they got into their awaiting limo, if she would ever see Neva again. She, all during the dinner, tried to reason with her draconic friend not to leave Chicago. The danger is finally over; everyone can live in peace.

"But I can't," Neva said just before Zoe left to change into her traveling togs. "While I've come to love this city, and you, I must move on. Too many people have seen me, and I just want to live the balance of my life away from prying eyes."
"But, Neva," Zoe said tearfully, "Daddy's got the upper stage section of the theater all renovated.  and it's dedicated to you. He wants you to stay." Neva was taken aback a bit, but stood her ground. "That is a very noble gesture, but I must move on. Zoe, listen to me..."

The dragon tried to reason with Zoe, but it was of no use. Perhaps it was meant to be, for Neva to remain in Chicago, to look over Zoe and her family. Yes, the danger was indeed over, and Neva felt she was no longer needed.

 "No longer needed?," said Zoe. "Neva, you are so loved, and I want you around when my children are born. I want them to know you, to regard you as part of our family. You, dear friend, saved my life. Without you..."

To this Neva could only reply, "Zoe, has it ever occurred to you that one can change her mind? Besides, I love your city; and now, since I can shape-shift again, I decided to stay, mingle amongst the people – in human form, mind you."   Zoe, now clearly ecstatic that her draconic friend wasn't going anywhere any time soon, embraced Neva once more. Even Nate, Bud,  and Richard persuaded the dragon to remain here, in Chicago, among family and friends.

OK, that did it. Neva, fully aware that she would be outvoted four to one, agreed to stay in Chicago. Perhaps it was the promise of children thus the continuation of the house of Kendall. Yes, Inez's fiery spirit yet lives within this young lady. She and Nathan will bring forth many fine children, and they will in turn make their marks upon this amazing country known as America.

 

THE END

I hope you enjoyed "American Dragon" as much I loved writing it. Stay tuned as there will be MORE great stories from "the CrazedWriter."  Feedback? Comments? Email 'em :-)

COPYRIGHT © 2003, 2004 BY P.R. PARKER. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


CWW Home
CWW Fiction Files
Passion Magic Fiction Files (for mature audiences only!)
Email @ MSNTV
Email @ Yahoo