Amanda Hardy, Your Past Life Calls


Epilogue

Well, Anandra, here we are, sitting beneath our favorite tree. From here we can gaze upon the sparkling blue lake, watch the many animals going about their routine, and just pass a good time. What is that? "Pass a good time"? It's a Louisiana expression; it means...Well, it means just that: to enjoy our time together. I'm so grateful to have known you. You don't know how much you've impacted my life. If it wasn't for you, coming into my dreams and psyche, reminding me that all was not well with my life, things would have been so much different. For one thing, I would have been stuck with Kevin, marrying the man and not knowing he was a fraud and all-around no-good two-timing... But I'm getting ahead of myself. I really don't want to talk about Kevin, yet. I want to tell you about the film I made, about us. You see, I had to re-title the movie. Mesozoic Me just wasn't cutting it, and Brian suggested a title that captured the essence of the story. What is the story? A fictionalized account of all that transpired since I had those initial visions. We just changed the names, a few of the situations, but the essence of what happened to me – to us – is still there. What title did I choose? The movie is entitled Anandra's Song. Yes, I named it after you, and I didn't know your name until you told me. It is a beautiful name, and I'm sure the movie will be a hit. It premieres right before Christmas, but we didn't do the big-budget Hollywood blockbuster. Oh no, what with myself doing the classical music and Toi performing her more bouncy pop, the major studios wouldn't touch it. So we – That's Brian, Toi, and myself – developed our own production company. We hired the best animators, musicians, special effects people, the whole nine yards. Actually, the film has the feel of those artsy independent productions, really classy and focuses on the story instead of overblown special effects. Don't worry, you and your friends are well represented, and I took great pains not to compromise your dignity.

And no, I did not set out to make this a kids' flick. I know kids love dinosaurs, but this really isn't a child's movie. There is not much to offend, but there is mild violence. Maybe Tracy will let her youngsters see it when they're older. I know Nick will keep asking, "Why can't I see your movie?" So I'll just tell him, "This is a grown-up movie. I don't think your mom will want you to see anything bad, so wait until you're a little older."

That might hold him. Anyway, I hope you like the music I choose. I wanted to include those compositions I heard in my visions: Brahms Sacred Lullaby, "O Fortuna", some Schubert lieder. Brian suggested I use the "Jupiter" segment of The Planets because the music just paints this lovely picture of your Cretaceous world. In the beginning of the piece, the camera sweeps down into the valley. We see a pteranadon swooping down into the river, catching a fish. Then there are baby dinos playing, a parasaurolophus trumpeting with joyous abandon. It's a lovely sequence, very raucous, humorous, but dignified all the same. When the strings begin the main theme in that emotive, majestic, oh so gorgeous Andante maestoso, we see the great brachiosaurs, the iguanodons, the triceratops, all together in this grand procession across the valley. So impressive. The animators made it look so real. I got the same guys who animated Dinosaur to do the Cretaceous scenes. I included a special selection for your theme: the first movement from Brahms' String Sextet No.1 in B-flat Major. Something about it just told me that it would fit you perfectly. I adapted that to go with special lyrics I wrote myself.. Oh yeah, Toi penned a song for the corthyosaur sisters, sort of a 1960's girl group thing. It's really cute and fun. What? Oh, you want to know what happened to Kevin. I really didn't want to talk about him, but since you asked...

He is now in prison, serving God-knows how many years for various offenses: fraud, extortion, theft, false representation...You name it, he was convicted of it. Anyway, prison is just the beginning of his troubles. Alice and Toi are suing him for punitive damages and fraud. Tracy promptly divorced him and got sole custody of the children. Kevin is barred from seeing the kids although he has to pay child support, but Tracy waived that. She said she didn't want any more to do with him. As far as she's concerned, Kevin Williams was one bad seed; she just wants to get on with her life. Even his mom has washed her hands of him. I tell you, Anandra, he was no good from the start. All I can say is that I hope he'll see the light one of these days, but I have my doubts.

At any rate, Tracy is moving to New York this summer so she can be near her Aunt Vi. It'll be so good to see her again, and already we've become such good friends. We call each other at least once a week, keeping up with what's going on in our lives. Tracy and I share a common bond, and we've sworn we'll never fall for a charmer like Kevin. Suffering through the divorce was painful enough for Tracy, and testifying against him at his criminal trial just capped a very stressful year. The kids are taking it better than we expected, well at least Nick. Emily is too young to remember her dad. I know they loved their father, but they never saw enough of him to get to know him. I pray that in years to come, the children will understand why their parents split up. Oh, I forgot to tell you. More good news. After the premiere, after we let things gel a bit, Toi and I decided to go on a national tour. Sort of a "Duelling Divas" thing. She sings hot pop and I do the classical stuff. We're mapping out routines and songs, so it should be fun, and a nice departure from what I've been used to. If the tour goes well, we plan to take it to Broadway next year.

And, finally, the really good news. Brian and I've gotten to know each other so well; we've grown closer in the last year. He's been great, comforting me when everything came crashing down all around. After we wrapped production on the movie, he took me to Paris and proposed to me in front of Notre Dame cathedral. Naturally I accepted. We're definitely planning a June wedding, so I'll have my hands full what with the film, the upcoming awards – and Brian is sure Anandra's Song will take home a few Golden Globes, Oscars®, and the Grammys. Oh wow, we got this whole media blitz promoting the movie, a double-CD soundtrack, a book on the "Making of Anandra's Song"...

Gee, is it time to go already? I really hate to leave you, but Brian is expecting me. We'll go to an early dinner at Four Seasons then it's off to the premiere. Everyone will be there: Brian, Cassie, Alice, Toi, Vi, Tracy, Mignon, Carson...All the people who loved and supported me through the most trying times. I know how you hate to see me leave; after all, we just got to know each other. You've taught me so much, and for that I appreciate. Some day, Anandra, I will return here, to this valley. Now that the predators are no longer a threat, perhaps, in time, I will bring my children. I see you are expecting new hatchlings; that is good. After what happened last year...It's OK...I understand. It's hard to lose a child, any child... I really must go. Wish me well at the premiere tonight. This is your story as well as mine. Oh Anandra, how I wish I could hug you, but I can barely reach. You tower over me, so I'll...OK, yes. Just lean down so I can kiss you good-bye. But it won't be forever.

°°°°°°

Amanda returned the mystical silver talisman to its black velvet box then locked the precious item in the safe behind her prized Matisse. Vi gave that to her as an early wedding present. She said to Amanda that day, "I've never used this on anyone except you, and you are – outside of myself – the only one who knows of its power. Guard it well, as it's one of a kind. Use it whenever you're in need of comfort and guidance. You know, if you hadn't come to me long ago, seeking help with your visions, I would have never known my own niece was in such dire straits. I do believe it was you who helped unlock that awful mystery and saved Tracy and her children's lives. For that I thank you."

So this little talisman is a tool for traveling back in time, to experience a life lived eons ago, to connect with that creature who once housed her soul. Amanda had a feeling they would meet again which was why she had to perform the altered state of consciousness by herself. She knew exactly what to do as Vi showed her the technique. It was so easy, and the results were astonishing. She actually felt herself sitting in that meadow, conversing with Anandra, the maiasaurus. Now Amanda didn't want to believe the dinosaur actually spoke to her in a present-day language; rather, they communicate in a method all their own. She even managed to converse with the other animals, get to know them personally and regard them as treasured friends. She glanced at the clock. Nearly six o'clock, and Brian said he'd send the car at six-thirty. The premiere wasn't until nine, so that gave them plenty of time to enjoy a leisurely dinner for two before joining their friends and family for a gala evening.

°°°°°°

Everyone who was anyone was there. For a film that had that was purposefully produced as an experimental independent project, Anandra's Song garnered much media attention. The plot alone generated much speculation; a few insiders had their doubts the movie would be a miserable flop. Yet it was the presentation: hand-drawn and computer animation mixed with live action footage; a mingling of the human lives against the backdrop of the Cretaceous dinosaurs; the music...How will Amanda Hardy and Toi Brazzle, two eminent entertainers in their respective fields, pull it all off? Blending classical and pop, pitting the old masters' compositions against the sounds of raucous rock-n-roll. However the naysayers would have to hold their breath until the initial reviews came in, and already the commentary at the previews were generally favorable. Thank God for that, thought Amanda as she emerged, arm in arm with Brian Dale, from the theater.

So much positive chatter from so many celebrities...They actually loved the movie. So different, refreshing, funny, sad, extremely moving. And the music! How ingenious to pair the classics with the contemporary, and the selections themselves...So appropriate and they fit right in with the stunning visuals. As Amanda and company made their way through the crowd of well-wishers, a reporter from Entertainment Tonight approached, saying, "Amanda, how does it feel to have what some are calling the hit of the season?"

Amanda, gushing with gratitude, replied, "Maria, I had no idea this film would be so well received. You know, this started out as a stage production, but so many suggested 'Why not a movie?'. So, after so much hard work and long months of production, it is finally a reality."
"But weren't you apprehensive about presenting what is really an autobiographical account? We all know the tough year you had, so did you have any reservations about going through with it?"
"Not at all. We all suffered tremendously a few years ago, yet we persevered and got it together in record time. I'm just so happy it turned out the way I wanted."
"Here's a question that almost everyone in America is asking: Any truth to the rumor that you had a past life as a dinosaur?"

Amanda took a deep breath, smiled, and replied, "Yes, that is true. It's still all so incredible for me to believe. But whether people believe in such things or not, this film speaks volumes and addresses issues that are so universal. There is so much to identify with, and you don't have to be a dinosaur lover or a fan of classical music not to be touched by the film's message."
"Is there anyone you'd like to acknowledge as your special support and guidance? There has to be someone who saw you through this project." "Well, there really are several people who made this all possible. Cassie Flynn initially suggested I produce my own show, but so many really wanted me to do this as a movie. Of course, Brian Dale has been wonderful. He's been my rock every step of the way."
"I understand wedding bells are in your future."

Amanda, blushing, said, "In June." And that was all.

°°°°°°

Finally finding time to herself, Amanda sat at the vanity in the ladies room, correcting her makeup and generally taking a load off. What an evening! And so much to digest all at once. Seems Anandra's Song is on its way to become the surprise hit of the season, and no doubt it will be a sure thing when award nominees are announced. Already accolades poured in from the entertainment media. The special double-CD soundtrack entered on Billboard's Hot 200 Albums at #13 with a bullet. There was even buzz about a possible sequel, perhaps a series of novelizations. In the coming weeks, following the nationwide release of Anandra's Song, there will be dozens of fan sites and online fan forums. A few years ago, Amanda felt apprehensive about her career, her future with Kevin, but now all past wrongs were just that – in the past. For now, all she wanted to focus on was the success of her project, the upcoming tour with Toi, and, of course, her new life with Brian.

Staring into the mirror, she said, "Amanda, we did it. We beat the odds and came away winners. Now we can spend the balance of our days in peace and contentment. No more predators to torment us. No more heartache."
She smiled at her reflection; but, just before she rose to leave and rejoin her company, the mirror began to cloud over. The reflection was no longer of the ladies room, but of the very verdant valley Amanda saw in her visions. Darkness had fallen, and, in the glow of a full moon, Amanda could see several figures looking at her. In that gathering there was much rejoicing and singing. Yes, singing. For these ancient creatures had been given the gift of music, and they wanted to express their love and gratitude.

 Anandra was there in that company, and she spoke to Amanda in that strange language only understood by herself and her soul's future inhabitant. "Amanda, we have come full circle. I can at last know contentment now that my soul is safe within such a wonderful being as you. Guard it well. Perhaps, some day, when you pass from this life, we shall meet again and be as one. Take care, my dear friend."

 

THE END

Author's Note: I hope you enjoyed this novel. As always, I welcome all feedback. Contact me via one of the email addresses linked below.

Copyright©2004 by P.R. Parker. All rights reserved.


CWW Home
CWW Fiction Files
Passion Magic Fiction Files (for mature audiences only!)
Email @ MSNTV