Amanda Hardy, Your Past Life Calls


Chapter 10

"Oh my God, Amanda! So you actually went there? And you actually sang to them, touched them?" Cassie nearly fell off the barstool when Amanda explained those latest visions, and how Vi's unusual technique took Amanda on an unforgettable journey into the Cretaceous. "It was so weird, Cassie," said Amanda between sips of her Cosmopolitan.
"Vi had this little...well, it looked like a little silver top. It spun and hummed in my hand while I dug deep into my subconscious. Cassie, I felt as if I was actually there. I could breathe in the air, feel the warmth and sunshine, see and touch the dinosaurs."

Cassie shook her head, then said, "I don't know, Amanda. What you described might be something more than a past life."
"I know, but the way the maiasaurus looked at me, as if she had known me all her life."
"It's the familiarity. You share a soul; that's how she knew you."

Cassie thought of one more thing: the predators growling in the distance, and the reluctant female spinosaurus being egged on by her male counterpart. "So do you think the predator represents Kevin?" Amanda was very matter-of-fact. Who else could the spinosaurus represent? And the reluctant female? No doubt she is Alice Mowbray, the unwilling partner in Kevin's pathetic attempt to get back at Brian and Amanda.
"Who else? I'll let you in on a secret, Cassie. Promise not to spread this around. It's strictly between you and me."  She then revealed to Cassie everything since their last meeting. She told her of the film deal, meeting Brian, Kevin's affair with Toi Brazzle, and his forcing Alice to cook Brian's expense account records. And she revealed how Toi discovered Kevin's scheme via Alice. "That lowlife had no idea Toi and Alice were old school buddies. He's going down, Cassie. I'm not sure how, but he's going down."
A flabbergasted Cassie drained her wine glass, replying, "My God, Amanda. I told you long ago Kevin was no good. Everyone knows the man is a lying, opportunistic bastard. I'm so glad you finally threw the bum out. So, what's next for you? Brian Dale?"

Amanda Hardy wondered if Cassie would ask just that. It was true: She was quickly falling in love with the gracious Mr. Dale. But things had to settle for Amanda before she took another plunge into the romantic sea. First, she had to face her inner demons. That would come during her next session with Vi. Second, the film project was becoming more of a chore each day; Amanda simply did not have the expertise to pull off a movie.

"I don't know about this movie, Cassie," she said while paying her bar tab. "It's so much work. At least Brian has been so helpful. Got me a slew of folks who know the film business. A stage show I can put together; I at least know how to do that. But a film!"
"Say no more," Cassie said, "If you want more help, a couple of my clients have connections in Hollywood. Let me call them and ask. They owe me a few favors anyway."

°°°°°°

Amanda wished she didn't have that second cocktail. Tired and a bit tipsy, she flopped on the bed. Brian was still at the office and not expected home until later that evening. Once home, he promised Amanda a quiet evening at home, complete with movies on his big screen TV and Chinese takeout. How kind he is, how sweet and attentive. Not a thing like Kevin...Why oh why did I ever get involved with the likes of Kevin Willaims? Cursing her bad choice of a first serious love, but relieved that Kevin was now distant memory, Amanda could relax and sleep off the booze until dinner. She could have worked on the movie project, perused rough drafts of screenplays, reviewed and finalized the list of music to be included in the soundtrack... "I can do that later. Right now, I want to sleep." It didn't take long for sleep to envelope her. In her drowsy state, Amanda immediately plunged into her dreamworld, those visions again tormenting and comforting her. This dream was far more vivid than the others. Amanda, finding herself dressed in flowing white garment, her hair loose around her shoulders, once again strolled through the familiar meadow. She took a deep breath of warm tropical air, reveling in its clean earthy scent. No pollution, no smog, nothing to despoil this Mesozoic paradise. She sat on a rock near the lake, watching the numerous animals grazing and bathing. Recalling her grade school science lessons, Amanda correctly identified each and every animal.
"Hmm...Parasaurolophus, corthyosaurus, iguanodon, triceratops, pachyrhinosaurus...Maiasaurus! Hello!"
Amanda, noticing the female maiasaur ambling up to the lake, waved and called out to the massive beast. The female maiasaur raised her head, spotting the odd little creature perched on the rock. Without hesitation she went to Amanda, murmuring low and lovely.

As before in a previous vision, Amanda felt completely at ease with this creature. She reached out and petted the dinosaur's snout, asking, "I suppose you don't have a name, do you? My name is Amanda."
She looked into the maiasaur's huge brown eyes, saying, "Your eyes are the same color as mine."  Then, "There's much sadness in those eyes. I understand you lost your children."
When Amanda said that, she swore the dinosaur let out what could be construed as a sob. There were no tears, but there was definitely sorrow in that low mournful mewl. Trying to fight back her own tears, Amanda said, "It's hard to lose someone you love. I cried and cried when my mom died. It's like losing a part of yourself."

The dinosaur responded by taking Amanda's hand into its giant paw and placing it upon her heart. The beast nodded as Amanda marveled at the dinosaur's thumping heartbeat. Amanda responded in kind by allowing the maiasaur to listen to her own heartbeat. Ms. Hardy smiled and laughed. "We're tied together, you know. We share the same soul."
The maiasaur then commenced digging into the soft sandy soil, as if preparing a nest. This was not lost on Amanda, as she noticed many female dinosaurs doing the same thing: preparing nests for the next generation. Ecstatic, Amanda said, "So there will be more? I'm so happy!" Instantly, she wrapped her arms around the dinosaur's neck, at least as far as she could. She embraced the ancient creature, reassuring it with her love and concern. "Here," she said, "would you like to hear a song? It's the same one I performed when...Well, when I first saw you...In my visions that is."
As the dinosaur continued to dig her nest, Amanda began singing that very song performed that winter's night. The very "Sacred Lullaby" that triggered those initial visions. Naturally, there was no piano or viola accompaniment; Amanda, fully remembering the melody and words, had to sing a cappella. Imagining a piano playing the opening notes, Amanda began to sing:

(English translation)
O you who hover about these palms in night and wind:
you holy angels, quiet the treetops!
My child sleeps
Of course, Amanda knew her audience didn't – couldn't – ever understand German, but she had a feeling the dinosaur comprehended the sentiment. The maiasaur stopped in mid-dig, raised her head, then ambled up slowly, then dropped to Amanda's feet, totally enraptured with the lovely sounds coming out of her new friend's mouth. What is this strange vocalizing?, she wondered. What does she speak of? She peered into Amanda's eyes, trying to grasp what this woman was saying. It didn't take long for the animal to understand, in part, that the song was about a mother watching over her newborn child. All she wants is peace and quiet as her child sleeps. Isn't that what she wanted? Peace and tranquility for her own offspring. That peace never came as the predators slew all her hatchlings that fateful night. It will not, she surmised, happen again. Amanda continued the song, the lines telling of "The Child of Heaven suffers hardship" and "How wearied He was by suffering of the world" sent the message home.

The suffering...there is always suffering and sorrow. As long as there are predators out there waiting to dash away all goodness, there shall be no rest for the meek of the earth. By now all the plant-eaters, upon hearing the rich lilting sounds, gathered around Amanda. Some sat at her feet; others stood watch as the unusual little creature continued to sing. That voice, dark, warm, soothing, soaring...

They surrounded Amanda with their protective love, swearing to each other that nothing will shatter the peace and contentment.

However, that peace was soon shattered by the faint sounds of a predator's roar. From the distant, dense forest they heard it: the unmistakable blood-curdling snarling of the spinosaurus. By instinct, the plant-eaters startled and began to bolt for cover. Too many of these encounters, coupled with natural instinct, convinced these animals to evade the predator before it takes out whoever it pleased. Visibly annoyed by the beast's imminent approach, and that it disrupted an otherwise peaceful performance, Amanda stood upon the rock, refusing to move. The other animals couldn't understand this: Why won't she run like the rest of us? Why does she just stand there? Amanda looked in the direction of the roars, peering into the distant forest as though she had super-vision. If only she could face that monster head-on...

"You don't frighten me, Kevin Williams!," she shouted out loud for all to hear. "Do you hear me! If you're man enough to show your face, come on!"

 Instantly, one dinosaurs emerged from the forest to the edge of the meadow. It stood there as if needing some encouragement. Amanda watched as the spine-back monster still stood, reluctant to go forward. That predator was followed by a larger spinosaurus, obviously the bullying male Amanda saw in a previous vision. He growled at his balking mate, urging her forward with snaps and tail lashes. How cruel can one be? She obviously wants no part in this hunting expedition, yet he insists...He uses threats and violence to get what he wants. Just like Kevin, but not like Kevin. The Kevin I knew wasn't – isn't – violent, just manipulative and deceitful. Amanda stood her ground, watching with rapt attention as the spinosaurus pair set foot onto the meadow. The male turned his head, spotting Amanda. He started to charge, but there was another roar emanating from the forest. Within moments, another female spinosaurus appeared, this time snarling threateningly at the male. The other, more timid female stood and watched as this new female began to quarrel with the male. Huh?, thought Amanda, am I seeing things or is this other female perhaps another mate? A competing female who sees the other as competition? I don't get it...If the male is Kevin, the balking female Alice, then who is this other female?

°°°°°°

She awoke in tears. It was all so real, the dinosaurs surrounding her with their love and support. Then the predators appeared. "I have to call Vi. This is getting to me. Why did I see the other female? Who is she? Who does she represent? Toi? Can't be. She has to be someone else." Shaking herself awake, Amanda rose from the bed thoroughly drained from this latest vision. She had to get to the bottom of it before it totally consumed her. Amanda had entertained doing some work before Brian came home. But for now, she just wanted to concentrate on that dream, write down every detail. It could be a dramatic turning point in the film's plot. She got up, showered, then changed into casual attire of jeans and sweatshirt. At her desk, she began to type every detail: the singing, the dinosaurs surrounding her, the approach of the predators, the mysterious female spinosaurus threatening the bullying male. How will this translate onto film? Will moviegoers love it or hate it? Amanda began to have misgivings about the whole project. She had soon go back to her original idea of a stage musical and forget trying her hand at the silver screen. Perhaps she wasn't cut out to be a movie star. Cursing herself for feeling those negative vibes, Amanda plunged once again into her work, trying to piece together all those visions into a credible, compelling screenplay. She would have to meet with her script writers, help develop storyboards, and consult with composers, arrangers, fellow musicians. It was all too time consuming, and Amanda desperately needed some down time. Thank God Brian came home. In a way, Amanda welcomed his presence. The man had been a godsend ever since she gave Kevin his walking papers. She never took the time to thank Brian Dale properly. Heck, she never got up the nerve to admit she was falling in love with him. Perhaps this was the night to do so. He walked into the den laden with sacks of Chinese takeout. Setting the bags on the table, he bent over and lightly kissed Amanda on the cheek. She silently acknowledged the caress and kept working.
"Hi, Amanda. I come bearing gastronomic treats and enlightening entertainment." She looked up momentarily from the computer screen, allowing her brown eyes to meet his blue.
"Oh, thank goodness," she said with a smile, "I'm starving. All I had was a quick salad and iced tea for lunch. Been busy with this movie project. Brian, this is so much work. I had no idea how much goes into producing, scripting, animation...And I still have to finalize the music–"

She was caught off-guard as Brian swept her into his arms then kissed her fully on the mouth. It was a long, lingering kiss, the sort of kiss that she never experienced with Kevin.


Releasing her, Brian looked into her eyes. She was quite taken aback; she didn't know what to say other than, "What brought all that on?"
"I've been meaning to do that ever since you came into my life. Amanda, I love you, more than anything. Which is why it pains me to tell you..."

 He stopped himself in mid-sentence. No way would he drop the latest bombshell concerning Kevin. No, let Kevin trap himself, then steal Amanda for the inevitable. Instead he said, "Toi and Alice are working to expose Kevin's plot to get back at me. There is more to Kevin that meets the eye, Amanda, and it's not pleasant."
"How unpleasant is it?," she asked, now highly curious. In all her years with Kevin, she never really knew the man. All she knew about Kevin was that he was a poor child of a single mother, attended college on scholarships and loans, never had a comfortable and easy childhood as she did. She had no idea Kevin was capable of nasty deeds, and now she knew.

"It's the forcing of Alice to do his dirty work, isn't it?"
"More than that. But...Let's not talk about Kevin tonight. I want to spend a quiet evening with you. Nice dinner, a couple of movies, and so much more."
Then it came to her. Should she tell Brian about her latest visions? Why not? "Er, Brian," she began, "over dinner, I want to share with you my latest Cretaceous visions. It's really quite interesting, and I think I have a handle on how they mirror my current situation."

°°°°°°

Brian popped in another movie into the DVD player as Amanda helped herself to more oolong tea and almond cookies. It was a peaceful, insightful evening with delicious Cantonese cuisine and hilarious Our Gang shorts. Never had Amanda felt more secure, more at peace with herself. But those visions...

"I can't get over it all," she said, "There I was singing to all these dinosaurs. It felt so real, as if I could actually understand their reactions as they listened to the music. Then the predators...Brian, when I saw that male spinosaurus begin to charge at me, then the other female picking a fight with him...Vi says the male has to represent Kevin. The reluctant female has to be Alice. But who does the other female represent? Can't be Toi. She has to stand for another woman in Kevin's life."
She paused long enough to gauge Brian's reactions. Obviously, Mr. Dale knows more about Kevin than he's letting on. "If you're wondering," she continued, "I know all about Kevin's other women. It's the main reason I had second thoughts on marrying him."
"As you should," replied Brian, now turning off the DVD player. "I don't feel like watching another. As much as I love watching those kids, I think we should spend the rest of the evening just talking."

And they did just that. Amanda told Brian more of those visions, with Mr. Dale sitting there in rapt awe. It's all so incredible, Brian thought, that Amanda has this power to travel back in time, meet those marvelous creatures face to face.
"But I have to consult with Vi one more time. I see her tomorrow afternoon, and only then can I put a human face on the other female predator." "I wish you luck, Amanda."
"Thanks." Then a thought came to her. "Vi's niece is coming for a visit this weekend. She's probably here now, settling into her hotel. Vi had this idea that I stick around and meet this woman and her kids."

Brian smiled, saying, "Sounds like fun. Should be a gas for Vi's niece to meet the famous Amanda Hardy."  Amanda blushed, then rejoined, "Vi says she hadn't seen Tracy or the kids in so long, and she has yet to meet the husband."
Now Brian was more than merely interested. Taking care not to give a clue of Kevin's secret double life, he asked, "Her name is Tracy?"
"Yeah, but I can't remember her last name. Anyway, Vi is inviting Tracy and the kids to lunch at her place. Her husband is in town on business. Seems he travels about much for his job. Vi says Tracy wants to surprise her husband...Now what is his name?"

After a few seconds, Amanda snapped her fingers, saying, "Kip! That's his name. Anyway, I think it would a riot to invite the whole family here for a little party. Maybe I can put on an impromptu recital."

To this Brian suggested, "Why not? I'd love to meet Vi's niece and the kids. Here, allow me to send invitations to Tracy's hotel. But, Amanda, not here. May I suggest..."

To be continued...Go to Chapter 11

Copyright©2004, 2005 by P.R. Parker. All rights reserved.


CWW Home
CWW Fiction Files
Passion Magic Fiction Files (for mature audiences only!)
Email @ MSNTV